* Adding iso8601.el to ELPA as a :core package?
@ 2020-02-05 16:38 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-02-05 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Stefan Monnier

Hey Lars,

What do you think about adding iso8601 to ELPA as a :core package? It's
pretty useful, and there's no particular reason it needs to be tied to a
particular Emacs version. My understanding is that this would be the
best of both worlds: you only maintain the in-tree version of the
library, but it's also available to install through ELPA.

WDYT?

Eric

* Re: Adding iso8601.el to ELPA as a :core package?
@ 2020-02-05 20:55 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2020-02-05 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Stefan Monnier

On 2/5/20 8:38 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> What do you think about adding iso8601 to ELPA as a :core package? It's
> pretty useful, and there's no particular reason it needs to be tied to a
> particular Emacs version.

Currently iso8601.el assumes Emacs 27 or later, and it won't work on
Emacs 26. This is because it uses Emacs 27 time primitives.

In master, presumably iso8601.el can start assuming Emacs 28, though I
don't think it does so yet.

* Re: Adding iso8601.el to ELPA as a :core package?
@ 2020-02-05 21:26   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-02-05 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> On 2/5/20 8:38 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> What do you think about adding iso8601 to ELPA as a :core package? It's
>> pretty useful, and there's no particular reason it needs to be tied to a
>> particular Emacs version.
>
> Currently iso8601.el assumes Emacs 27 or later, and it won't work on
> Emacs 26. This is because it uses Emacs 27 time primitives.
>
> In master, presumably iso8601.el can start assuming Emacs 28, though I
> don't think it does so yet.

Oh, that's too bad. That means my earlier trick of sticking a copy in my
vcard package isn't going to work, either.

Thanks for the tip,

@ 2020-02-07  2:38 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-02-07  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> What do you think about adding iso8601 to ELPA as a :core package? It's
> pretty useful, and there's no particular reason it needs to be tied to a
> particular Emacs version. My understanding is that this would be the
> best of both worlds: you only maintain the in-tree version of the
> library, but it's also available to install through ELPA.

As Paul said, it uses Emacs 27 language features...  but it could
probably be rewritten to work in previous versions.  I'm not sure how
much work that would be, though.

* Re: Adding iso8601.el to ELPA as a :core package?
@ 2020-03-14 19:36   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-03-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> What do you think about adding iso8601 to ELPA as a :core package? It's
>> pretty useful, and there's no particular reason it needs to be tied to a
>> particular Emacs version. My understanding is that this would be the
>> best of both worlds: you only maintain the in-tree version of the
>> library, but it's also available to install through ELPA.
>
> As Paul said, it uses Emacs 27 language features...  but it could
> probably be rewritten to work in previous versions.  I'm not sure how
> much work that would be, though.

I finally got to looking at this, and I think there's too much that's
changed with Emacs 27 time handling. Rewriting iso8601 to not use Emacs
27 features is not feasible, I think. It would be quite a mess (maybe
impossible) to try to provide full compatibility for this vcard library,
as well, so I think I'm just going to have this require Emacs 27 or
later.

Thanks,
Eric