* browse-url-of-buffer broken at HEAD?
@ 2020-05-06 17:44 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-05-06 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Simple Test Case:

1. Create  a new empty buffer  called "foo" and switch to it
2. Type this in that buffer:
3. M-x browse-url-of-buffer
where browse-url is set up to render using EWW
4. You dont get a rendered result, instead you see the HTML source,
and a message in the minibuffer re loading the HTML5 schema.
5. But if you now switch to *Messages* you see an error
"File exists but cannot be read".
6. /tmp does contain the generated file, and eww-open-file renders it
correctly.

Might be useful when debugging, if you  again try
browse-url-of-buffer, you dont see the error message above (but you
dont get the result rendered either)

Using debug-on-error did not help, it did not enter the debugger.

This error appears relatively new,

* Re: browse-url-of-buffer broken at HEAD?
@ 2020-05-06 19:24 ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-05-06 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
Additional info:

Restoring browse-url.el from early April makes the problem go away ---
suspect this breakage comes from the recent changes in browse-url to
 allow multiple handlers. I failed to spot the cause after staring at
 the diff

@ 2020-05-06 19:38   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-05-06 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Restoring browse-url.el from early April makes the problem go away ---
> suspect this breakage comes from the recent changes in browse-url to
> allow multiple handlers. I failed to spot the cause after staring at
> the diff

Oh, I'm sorry.  I'll have a look!

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: browse-url-of-buffer broken at HEAD?
@ 2020-05-06 19:52     ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-05-06 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tsdh; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

Thanks!

--
Id: kg:/m/0285kf1

--
Id: kg:/m/0285kf1

* Re: browse-url-of-buffer broken at HEAD?
@ 2020-05-06 20:56     ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-05-06 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Thanks for checking in the fix so quickly, much appreciated since I
depend on EWW for too many things to count:-)

* Re: browse-url-of-buffer broken at HEAD?
@ 2020-05-06 21:06       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-05-06 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Thanks!

Ok, it's the handler for opening all file:// URLs using browse-url-emacs
which basically just visits them using find-file.  With commit
86fef6ab89 I've added another default handler before that which matches
file://.*\.html? URLs and opens those with browse-url-browser-function.
So it should work as you are accustomed again.

The error

  File mode specification error: (file-missing Setting current directory No such file or directory file:///tmp/)

is not my fault but I also get it when evaling

  (browse-url-emacs "file:///tmp/burl6qUEJq.html")

Ok, I found the culprit in my customization.  The buffer gets opened in
html-mode which inherits from prog-mode and in prog-mode-hook I enable
bug-reference-mode.  Inside bug-reference-mode-hook I have a function
which sets bug-reference-bug-regexp and bug-reference-url-format
depending on things like the current Gnus group or the current buffer
file's VCS URL.  For the latter, it does

  (shell-command-to-string "git ls-remote --get-url")

and that (or rather call-process called somewhere deeper in the stack)
barfs if default-directory is a file:///tmp/ URL.

I'm not sure if this is a bug but I think so.  I'll report it.

Thanks,
  Tassilo

* Re: browse-url-of-buffer broken at HEAD?
@ 2020-05-06 21:12       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-05-06 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Thanks for checking in the fix so quickly, much appreciated since I
> depend on EWW for too many things to count:-)

I know, you're welcome. :-)

If some other browse-url stuff behaves differently in the future, have a
look at the value of `browse-url-default-handlers'.  The culprit is most
likely in there.  You can override those default handlers using
`browse-url-handlers'.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: browse-url-of-buffer broken at HEAD?
@ 2020-05-06 21:29         ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-05-06 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

Note the error I was seeing in *Messages* was different, it was
"File exists but cannot be read" or something similar
it's gone now.

@ 2020-05-06 21:50           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-05-06 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Note the error I was seeing in *Messages* was different, it was
> "File exists but cannot be read" or something similar
> it's gone now.

Hm, interesting.  And indeed, files opened with

  (browse-url-emacs "file://...")

are read-only although the file is actually writable.  I'll add that to
bug#41114.

Bye,
Tassilo