* splash screen shown when Emacs started with files on the command line
@ 2005-12-10 15:58 Paul Pogonyshev
From: Paul Pogonyshev @ 2005-12-10 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe the splash screen shouldn't be shown when Emacs is started
with files on the command line.  I sometimes do that when editing
some configuration files as root.  (Emacs is configured `--with-x'.)

Paul

* Re: splash screen shown when Emacs started with files on the command line
@ 2005-12-10 18:27 ` Romain Francoise
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-12-10 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev@gmx.net> writes:

> I believe the splash screen shouldn't be shown when Emacs is started
> with files on the command line.

This is a deliberate choice, see the NEWS file.  Now is not the time to
reconsider it.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the

@ 2005-12-10 19:10 ` Arne Jørgensen
From: Arne Jørgensen @ 2005-12-10 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev@gmx.net> writes:

> I believe the splash screen shouldn't be shown when Emacs is started
> with files on the command line.  I sometimes do that when editing
> some configuration files as root.  (Emacs is configured `--with-x'.)

You can put something like

(when (> (safe-length command-line-args) 1)
  (setq inhibit-startup-message t))

in your .emacs

Kind regards,
--
Arne Jørgensen <http://arnested.dk/>

* Re: splash screen shown when Emacs started with files on the command line
@ 2005-12-11  0:53 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2005-12-11  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I believe the splash screen shouldn't be shown when Emacs is started
> with files on the command line.  I sometimes do that when editing
> some configuration files as root.  (Emacs is configured `--with-x'.)

I can't find a discussion that led to showing the splash screen even
if Emacs is started with a non-empty command line.  Could someone repeat
what were the reasons for this change?  It seems it makes sense to
show the splash screen only for beginners who start Emacs for the
first time, without options on the command line.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: splash screen shown when Emacs started with files on the command line
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-12-11  5:02 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-11  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I believe the splash screen shouldn't be shown when Emacs is started
    with files on the command line.

I made this decision to make sure that people who generally run
Emacs with file name arguments do see the splash screen.
That is important for us.