* git/bzr status?
@ 2013-05-04 19:54 Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2013-05-04 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have a bunch of fixes and improvements I'd like to contribute but am
reluctant to put up with the hideous pull times and steep learning curve
of bzr.

Is Emacs moving to git?

PS I hate git but do think it has "won". I doubt that's a popular
opinion but there you go.

* Re: git/bzr status?
@ 2013-05-04 22:41 ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2013-05-04 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nic Ferrier; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On May 4, 2013 12:54 PM, "Nic Ferrier" <nferrier@ferrier.me.uk> wrote:

> I have a bunch of fixes and improvements I'd like to contribute but am
> reluctant to put up with the hideous pull times and steep learning curve
> of bzr.
>
> Is Emacs moving to git?

I have no special knowledge, but I doubt it will happen any time soon.
Emacs maintainers are quite capable of understanding a patch file
regardless of how it's generated, though, so there's no reason to horde
your goodies until they switch to your preferred tool.

* Re: git/bzr status?
@ 2013-05-04 23:20 ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-05-04 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nic Ferrier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Nic Ferrier <nferrier@ferrier.me.uk> wrote:
> I have a bunch of fixes and improvements I'd like to contribute but am
> reluctant to put up with the hideous pull times and steep learning curve
> of bzr.
>
> Is Emacs moving to git?

I don't think it will happen in the near future.

FYI there are too many threads about Git and Bazaar, such as:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg01937.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-01/msg00242.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-04/msg00324.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-03/msg00776.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-04/msg00381.html

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: git/bzr status?
@ 2013-05-04 23:33   ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2013-05-04 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: emacs-devel

Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Nic Ferrier <nferrier@ferrier.me.uk> wrote:
>> I have a bunch of fixes and improvements I'd like to contribute but am
>> reluctant to put up with the hideous pull times and steep learning curve
>> of bzr.
>>
>> Is Emacs moving to git?
>
> I don't think it will happen in the near future.
>
> FYI there are too many threads about Git and Bazaar, such as:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg01937.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-01/msg00242.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-04/msg00324.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-03/msg00776.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-04/msg00381.html

Right. I was seeking a follow up since that last one was a month ago and
rms said he was waiting on the bzr maintainer to state the position.

Nic

* Re: git/bzr status?
@ 2013-05-05  6:34 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-05-05  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nic Ferrier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Is Emacs moving to git?

There are plans to move the `elpa' branch to Git.
But I don't know of any plans to move Emacs's trunk to Git.