* svg.el in core?
@ 2016-02-19  1:36 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-19  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: John Wiegley

I was thinking a bit about how to display loading images in eww better.
I was originally thinking about displaying a spinner of some kind, but
that seems rather intrusive.  I think the nicest thing to do would be to
display an empty grey image of the same size that the resulting real
image is going to be would be nicest (and that way things don't move
around when the images are finally inserted).

The easiest way to create images of arbitrary size is to use SVG images,
and I happen to have created a small library for doing just that a
couple of years ago:

  https://github.com/larsmagne/svg.el

So would it be OK to include that library in the Emacs core?

* Re: svg.el in core?
@ 2016-02-19  1:53 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-19  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I was thinking a bit about how to display loading images in eww better. I
> was originally thinking about displaying a spinner of some kind, but that
> seems rather intrusive. I think the nicest thing to do would be to display
> an empty grey image of the same size that the resulting real image is going
> to be would be nicest (and that way things don't move around when the images
> are finally inserted).

Reminds me of the days of NCSA Mosaic!

>   https://github.com/larsmagne/svg.el

> So would it be OK to include that library in the Emacs core?

Looks fine to me, if EWW is going to depend upon it.

* Re: svg.el in core?
@ 2016-02-19  4:04   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-19  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

> Looks fine to me, if EWW is going to depend upon it.

Great.  I'll write up some documentation and then include it all in
master...

* Re: svg.el in core?
@ 2016-02-20  7:05 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-20  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I think the nicest thing to do would be to display an empty grey image
> of the same size that the resulting real image is going to be would be
> nicest (and that way things don't move around when the images are
> finally inserted).

This has now been implemented.  See what all y'all think...