* Key signature verification failure for ELPA installation
@ 2018-04-08 22:27 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-04-08 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've had an EBDB bug report[1] from someone installing the package using
package-install (with Emacs 25 on Ubuntu 17.10). EBDB requires seq
(specifically, it requires seq>=2.15), which currently exists in the
repos as 2.20. In fact, seq is built-in, though I don't understand all
the implications of that.

The error is as follows:

Failed to verify signature seq-2.20.tar.sig:
No public key for 474F05837FBDEF9B GNU ELPA Signing Agent elpasign@elpa.gnu.org created at 2017-05-05T00:05:02+0300 using DSA
Command output:
gpg: keyblock resource '/tmp/try28880WQE/gnupg/pubring.kbx': No such file or directory
gpg: Signature made пт, 05-тра-2017 00:05:02 +0300 EEST
gpg: using DSA key 474F05837FBDEF9B

This looks weird to me for a few reasons, not least that gpg is looking
for the public keyring under the /tmp directory, but I don't know enough
about Emacs package signing to even triage this.

I'm hoping someone can give me some first impressions, so I can either
open a proper bug report, or go back to the user with a wontfix/need
more info.

Thanks!
Eric

[1]: https://github.com/girzel/ebdb/issues/65

* Re: Key signature verification failure for ELPA installation
@ 2018-04-09  1:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-04-09  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> This looks weird to me for a few reasons, not least that gpg is looking
> for the public keyring under the /tmp directory, but I don't know enough
> about Emacs package signing to even triage this.

Indeed it's weird that it looks for it in /tmp.  `package.el` doesn't
use the user's ~/.gnupg config but instead uses its own, which is kept
in package-gnupghome-dir which defaults to (expand-file-name "gnupg"
package-user-dir) and gets populated (via package-import-keyring) in
package-refresh-contents.

* Re: Key signature verification failure for ELPA installation
@ 2018-04-09 14:38   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-04-09 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> This looks weird to me for a few reasons, not least that gpg is looking
>> for the public keyring under the /tmp directory, but I don't know enough
>> about Emacs package signing to even triage this.
>
> Indeed it's weird that it looks for it in /tmp.  `package.el` doesn't
> use the user's ~/.gnupg config but instead uses its own, which is kept
> in package-gnupghome-dir which defaults to (expand-file-name "gnupg"
> package-user-dir) and gets populated (via package-import-keyring) in
> package-refresh-contents.

Okay, thanks -- I'll pass that information on, and tell him to bring it
up here if he keeps having trouble.