* admin/notes/git-workflow and git-new-workdir
@ 2019-07-28 15:01 Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2019-07-28 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Paul Eggert

In admin/notes/git-workflow, a "git-new-workdir" utility is recommended
for the initial repo setup. However, we also read:

 (This is a draft.  The method here won't actually work yet, because
 neither git-new-workdir nor merge-changelog are in the Emacs
 distribution yet.)

That "yet" was almost 5 years ago.

An utility named "git-new-workdir" comes packaged with git. In any case,
I'm wondering if the recommendations are still valid (and the
git-new-workdir included with git is suitable) and how the notes should
be updated to reflect the reality.

(As for merge-changelog I have no idea at all.)

  Thanks,

  Štěpán

* Re: admin/notes/git-workflow and git-new-workdir
@ 2019-07-28 15:34 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2019-07-28 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Paul Eggert, emacs-devel

On Jul 28 2019, Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> wrote:

> In admin/notes/git-workflow, a "git-new-workdir" utility is recommended
> for the initial repo setup. However, we also read:
>
>  (This is a draft.  The method here won't actually work yet, because
>  neither git-new-workdir nor merge-changelog are in the Emacs
>  distribution yet.)
>
> That "yet" was almost 5 years ago.
>
> An utility named "git-new-workdir" comes packaged with git.

git-new-workdir is obsolete.  Its functionality has been properly
implemented by git worktree.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: admin/notes/git-workflow and git-new-workdir
@ 2019-07-28 17:53   ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2019-07-28 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Paul Eggert, emacs-devel

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 17:34:03 +0200
Andreas Schwab wrote:

> git-new-workdir is obsolete.  Its functionality has been properly
> implemented by git worktree.

That was helpful, thank you!

So instead of

  git clone <membername>@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git master
  (cd master; git config push.default current)
  ./master/admin/git-new-workdir master emacs-26
  cd emacs-26
  git checkout emacs-26

the current recipe would be

  git clone <membername>@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git master
  cd master
  git config push.default current
  git worktree add ../emacs-26 emacs-26

(The second cd is now unnecessary, "git worktree" sets up and checks out
the emacs-26 remote tracking branch in the new working tree automatically.)

--

@ 2019-07-28 18:04     ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2019-07-28 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Paul Eggert, emacs-devel

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 19:53:56 +0200
Štěpán Němec wrote:

> the current recipe would be
>
>   git clone <membername>@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git master
>   cd master
>   git config push.default current
>   git worktree add ../emacs-26 emacs-26
>
> (The second cd is now unnecessary, "git worktree" sets up and checks out
> the emacs-26 remote tracking branch in the new working tree automatically.)

And now I see you've pushed exactly this change to master... :-D

Thanks.

--
Štěpán