* Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-02 14:38 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-07-02 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I downloaded emacs-28.0.50-snapshot-2020-06-26-x86_64-no-deps.zip from https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-28/, thinking it would be usable with the usual image-handling dlls I've had for years.

Nope.  Missing libgmp-10.dll.

Is it normal that now the choices are either (1) get the complete, additional 50M snapshot or (2) have to install dlls such as this separately?  It used to be possible to just have separate support for PNG, JPG, etc.

Also, the README-windows-binaries in the same directory says this:

 In addition, we provide the following files which will
 not be useful for most end-users.

 emacs-$VERSION-x86_64-deps.zip

 The dependencies. Unzipping this file on top of
 emacs-$VERSION-x86_64-no-deps.zip should result in the same install as
 emacs-$VERSION-x86_64.zip.

I see no such *-deps.zip file.  So I guess I need to download the full sack now.

The README-* file also has hard-coded "emacs-27" in place of emacs-$VERSION in two places.

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-02 17:09 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-02 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I downloaded emacs-28.0.50-snapshot-2020-06-26-x86_64-no-deps.zip from
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-28/, thinking it
> would be usable with the usual image-handling dlls I've had for years.
>
> Nope.  Missing libgmp-10.dll.
>
> Is it normal that now the choices are either (1) get the complete,
> additional 50M snapshot or (2) have to install dlls such as this
> separately?  It used to be possible to just have separate support for
> PNG, JPG, etc.

I just updated the dependencies for Emacs-27 and -28 to include jansson
which has been missed off, so this may have changed things.

It should have giflib, libjpeg, libpng included. If that doesn't work,
then it's broken. But I don't know what you mean "usuable with the usual
image-handling dlls I've had for years". Do you mean, you are using DLLs
that are already on your machine?

Eli, I don't include libgmp at the moment. Is this new for Emacs-27
also? If so, I need to update that also.

> Also, the README-windows-binaries in the same directory says this:
>
>  In addition, we provide the following files which will
>  not be useful for most end-users.
>
>  emacs-$VERSION-x86_64-deps.zip
>
>  The dependencies. Unzipping this file on top of
>  emacs-$VERSION-x86_64-no-deps.zip should result in the same install as
>  emacs-$VERSION-x86_64.zip.
>
> I see no such *-deps.zip file.  So I guess I need to download the full sack now.

The deps file didn't upload. Not uncommon, the GNU upload process is
horrible. They should be there soon, hopefully.

The installer version including all the dependencies is the smallest
package.

> The README-* file also has hard-coded "emacs-27" in place of emacs-$VERSION in two places.

The fix for this is also uploading.

Phil

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-02 17:35   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-02 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 18:09:00 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli, I don't include libgmp at the moment. Is this new for Emacs-27
> also? If so, I need to update that also.

Yes, GMP is needed because we now have bignums in Emacs.  If Emacs was
built with GMP, it will depend on it.  You could build Emacs using the
minigmp that is part of the Emacs sources, and then there would be no
run-time GMP dependency, but I doubt this is worth your while.

* RE: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-02 17:37   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-07-02 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for your quick reply, Phil.  And thanks especially
for creating the snapshots.

> I just updated the dependencies for Emacs-27 and -28 to include jansson
> which has been missed off, so this may have changed things.
>
> It should have giflib, libjpeg, libpng included. If that doesn't work,
> then it's broken. But I don't know what you mean "usuable with the usual
> image-handling dlls I've had for years". Do you mean, you are using DLLs
> that are already on your machine?

Yes, I've had the basic image-processing stuff on my machine
for years now.  I may not have the latest - I did that quite
a while ago.  For at least some older Emacs releases that was
sufficient.  It may no longer be.

For a while I've been downloading the snaps with dependencies,
but this time I thought I might try the snap without them, to
save some space.

(Anyway, I've now grapped the snap with dependencies.)

> The deps file didn't upload. Not uncommon, the GNU upload process is
> horrible. They should be there soon, hopefully.
>
> The installer version including all the dependencies is the smallest
> package.

I don't want to "install" Emacs, if that means doing something
more than just putting it into a folder.  I want to have
multiple Emacs versions, in different folders.  I just use the
executables that are in their bin folders.

> > The README-* file also has hard-coded "emacs-27" in place of emacs-$VERSION
> in two places.
>
> The fix for this is also uploading.

Thx.

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-02 17:48     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-02 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phillip.lord; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 20:35:53 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> > Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 18:09:00 +0100
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > Eli, I don't include libgmp at the moment. Is this new for Emacs-27
> > also? If so, I need to update that also.
>
> Yes, GMP is needed because we now have bignums in Emacs.

In case it wasn't clear: yes, GMP is needed with both Emacs 27 and 28.

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 10:54       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-04 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 20:35:53 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> > From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> > Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 18:09:00 +0100
>> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> >
>> > Eli, I don't include libgmp at the moment. Is this new for Emacs-27
>> > also? If so, I need to update that also.
>>
>> Yes, GMP is needed because we now have bignums in Emacs.
>
> In case it wasn't clear: yes, GMP is needed with both Emacs 27 and 28.

And this is not an "optional" dependency? I need to include it with
"no-deps" as well? Currently I include libxpm even in no deps.

Phil

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 10:57     ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-04 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> The deps file didn't upload. Not uncommon, the GNU upload process is
>> horrible. They should be there soon, hopefully.
>>
>> The installer version including all the dependencies is the smallest
>> package.
>
> I don't want to "install" Emacs, if that means doing something
> more than just putting it into a folder.  I want to have
> multiple Emacs versions, in different folders.  I just use the
> executables that are in their bin folders.

The installer does indeed just put stuff into a folder. It does add a
shortcut to the start menu IIRC, although you can switch that
off. Different versions will work, although I can't remember how it
would handle multiple copies of the same declared version
(i.e. snapshots).

It just uses better compression, so it's much smaller.

Phil

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 11:15         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-04 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 11:54:56 +0100
>
> >> Yes, GMP is needed because we now have bignums in Emacs.
> >
> > In case it wasn't clear: yes, GMP is needed with both Emacs 27 and 28.
>
> And this is not an "optional" dependency? I need to include it with
> "no-deps" as well? Currently I include libxpm even in no deps.

Yes, you need to include it like you do with libxpm.

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 13:09           ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-04 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 11:54:56 +0100

>> > In case it wasn't clear: yes, GMP is needed with both Emacs 27 and 28.
>>
>> And this is not an "optional" dependency? I need to include it with
>> "no-deps" as well? Currently I include libxpm even in no deps.
>
> Yes, you need to include it like you do with libxpm.

Hmmm. This perhaps rather stretches the definition of "no-deps". At the
moment, I include libXpm because historically it was always distributed
with the built emacs (although emacs will run without it).

The problem is that the libXpm.dll I use is very carefully selected. It
isn't actually from msys and I always use the same one (on the basis
that libXpm is never, ever going to be updated), because I had
significant problems with some versions of libXpm from Msys having
dependencies (libwinpthread, I think).

So, I think that there is a decision point here. I could make the
"no-deps" download what it says it is, and have no deps (including
libXpm). As the version with deps is now the default suggested option
this might more sense. Otherwise I risk the no-deps version getting more
dependencies in an unpredictable manner.

Phil

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 13:16             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-04 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 14:09:18 +0100
>
> > Yes, you need to include it like you do with libxpm.
>
> Hmmm. This perhaps rather stretches the definition of "no-deps". At the
> moment, I include libXpm because historically it was always distributed
> with the built emacs (although emacs will run without it).
>
> The problem is that the libXpm.dll I use is very carefully selected. It
> isn't actually from msys and I always use the same one (on the basis
> that libXpm is never, ever going to be updated), because I had
> significant problems with some versions of libXpm from Msys having
> dependencies (libwinpthread, I think).
>
> So, I think that there is a decision point here. I could make the
> "no-deps" download what it says it is, and have no deps (including
> libXpm). As the version with deps is now the default suggested option
> this might more sense. Otherwise I risk the no-deps version getting more
> dependencies in an unpredictable manner.

I'm not sure I see the significance of adding one more library to the
no-deps distribution.  If you are afraid of dependencies of libgmp,
then I don't think its MSYS2 version has any, does it?  If the
dependencies of libgmp is not the issue, then what is?

In any case, if you build Emacs with libgmp, you _must_ accompany the
binary with the DLL you used at build time, because, unlike libxpm,
libgmp is a static dependency of Emacs, and Emacs will refuse to start
if it isn't present.  If that's not what you want, you only
alternatives are:

  . link against libgmp statically, or
  . build Emacs without libgmp, using src/minigmp.c instead

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 14:16               ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-04 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 14:09:18 +0100
>>
>> > Yes, you need to include it like you do with libxpm.
>>
>> Hmmm. This perhaps rather stretches the definition of "no-deps". At
>> the
>> moment, I include libXpm because historically it was always
>> distributed
>> with the built emacs (although emacs will run without it).
>>
>> The problem is that the libXpm.dll I use is very carefully
>> selected. It
>> isn't actually from msys and I always use the same one (on the basis
>> that libXpm is never, ever going to be updated), because I had
>> significant problems with some versions of libXpm from Msys having
>> dependencies (libwinpthread, I think).
>>
>> So, I think that there is a decision point here. I could make the
>> "no-deps" download what it says it is, and have no deps (including
>> libXpm). As the version with deps is now the default suggested
>> option
>> this might more sense. Otherwise I risk the no-deps version getting
>> more
>> dependencies in an unpredictable manner.
>
> I'm not sure I see the significance of adding one more library to the
> no-deps distribution.  If you are afraid of dependencies of libgmp,
> then I don't think its MSYS2 version has any, does it?  If the
> dependencies of libgmp is not the issue, then what is?
>
> In any case, if you build Emacs with libgmp, you _must_ accompany the
> binary with the DLL you used at build time, because, unlike libxpm,
> libgmp is a static dependency of Emacs, and Emacs will refuse to start
> if it isn't present.  If that's not what you want, you only
> alternatives are:
>
>   . link against libgmp statically, or
>   . build Emacs without libgmp, using src/minigmp.c instead

I don't mind adding libgmp.

But, I have tried both my emacs-27-no-deps and emacs-28-no-deps package,
neither of which have libgmp bundled. Emacs-27 launches okay, but
Emacs-28 complains about libgmp missing. Has the default changed between
the two?

Phil

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 14:19               ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-04 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 14:09:18 +0100
>>
>> > Yes, you need to include it like you do with libxpm.
>>
>> Hmmm. This perhaps rather stretches the definition of "no-deps". At
>> the
>> moment, I include libXpm because historically it was always
>> distributed
>> with the built emacs (although emacs will run without it).
>>
>> The problem is that the libXpm.dll I use is very carefully
>> selected. It
>> isn't actually from msys and I always use the same one (on the basis
>> that libXpm is never, ever going to be updated), because I had
>> significant problems with some versions of libXpm from Msys having
>> dependencies (libwinpthread, I think).
>>
>> So, I think that there is a decision point here. I could make the
>> "no-deps" download what it says it is, and have no deps (including
>> libXpm). As the version with deps is now the default suggested
>> option
>> this might more sense. Otherwise I risk the no-deps version getting
>> more
>> dependencies in an unpredictable manner.
>
> I'm not sure I see the significance of adding one more library to the
> no-deps distribution.  If you are afraid of dependencies of libgmp,
> then I don't think its MSYS2 version has any, does it?  If the
> dependencies of libgmp is not the issue, then what is?
>
> In any case, if you build Emacs with libgmp, you _must_ accompany the
> binary with the DLL you used at build time, because, unlike libxpm,
> libgmp is a static dependency of Emacs, and Emacs will refuse to start
> if it isn't present.  If that's not what you want, you only
> alternatives are:
>
>   . link against libgmp statically, or
>   . build Emacs without libgmp, using src/minigmp.c instead

Sorry, should have said, adding libgmp-10.dll to Emacs-28 makes it
launch okay.

Phil

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-04 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 15:16:38 +0100
>
> >   . link against libgmp statically, or
> >   . build Emacs without libgmp, using src/minigmp.c instead
>

> I don't mind adding libgmp.
>
> But, I have tried both my emacs-27-no-deps and emacs-28-no-deps package,
> neither of which have libgmp bundled. Emacs-27 launches okay, but
> Emacs-28 complains about libgmp missing. Has the default changed between
> the two?

Then perhaps you have libgmp linked in statically, and this all
conversation was bout a moot point?

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-04 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 15:16:38 +0100
>
> >   . link against libgmp statically, or
> >   . build Emacs without libgmp, using src/minigmp.c instead
>

> I don't mind adding libgmp.
>
> But, I have tried both my emacs-27-no-deps and emacs-28-no-deps package,
> neither of which have libgmp bundled. Emacs-27 launches okay, but
> Emacs-28 complains about libgmp missing. Has the default changed between
> the two?

Then perhaps you have libgmp linked in statically into Emacs 27, but
not Emacs 28?  What does the dependency walker say?

FWIW, my Emacs depends on libgmp in both versions.  But I don't use
static linking, never have.

* RE: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 16:31       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-07-04 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > I don't want to "install" Emacs, if that means doing something
> > more than just putting it into a folder.  I want to have
> > multiple Emacs versions, in different folders.  I just use the
> > executables that are in their bin folders.
>
> The installer does indeed just put stuff into a folder. It does add a
> shortcut to the start menu IIRC, although you can switch that
> off. Different versions will work, although I can't remember how it
> would handle multiple copies of the same declared version
> (i.e. snapshots).

FWIW -

I don't want a shortcut in the Start menu, for sure. I create my own shortcuts to runemacs commands with specific options, and more than one per snapshot or release.

And I do have multiple snapshots for the same declared version.

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 17:21                   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-04 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 15:16:38 +0100
>>
>> >   . link against libgmp statically, or
>> >   . build Emacs without libgmp, using src/minigmp.c instead
>>

>> I don't mind adding libgmp.
>>
>> But, I have tried both my emacs-27-no-deps and emacs-28-no-deps package,
>> neither of which have libgmp bundled. Emacs-27 launches okay, but
>> Emacs-28 complains about libgmp missing. Has the default changed between
>> the two?
>
> Then perhaps you have libgmp linked in statically into Emacs 27, but
> not Emacs 28?  What does the dependency walker say?
>
> FWIW, my Emacs depends on libgmp in both versions.  But I don't use
> static linking, never have.

Well, as far as I know, I build them with the same options.

dependency walker mentions libgmp (with a grey box rather than a red
one) for Emacs-28, but does not for Emacs-27.

Phil

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 17:26         ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-04 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> > I don't want to "install" Emacs, if that means doing something
>> > more than just putting it into a folder.  I want to have
>> > multiple Emacs versions, in different folders.  I just use the
>> > executables that are in their bin folders.
>>
>> The installer does indeed just put stuff into a folder. It does add a
>> shortcut to the start menu IIRC, although you can switch that
>> off. Different versions will work, although I can't remember how it
>> would handle multiple copies of the same declared version
>> (i.e. snapshots).
>
> FWIW -
>
> I don't want a shortcut in the Start menu, for sure. I create my own
> shortcuts to runemacs commands with specific options, and more than
> one per snapshot or release.
>
> And I do have multiple snapshots for the same declared version.

Well, none of these are the default options, but you can tell it to
extract emacs where ever you want.

I'm just keen because I think many people will use the installer, but
not many people are testing it!

Phil

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-04 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 18:21:07 +0100
>
> > Then perhaps you have libgmp linked in statically into Emacs 27, but
> > not Emacs 28?  What does the dependency walker say?
> >
> > FWIW, my Emacs depends on libgmp in both versions.  But I don't use
> > static linking, never have.
>

> Well, as far as I know, I build them with the same options.
>
> dependency walker mentions libgmp (with a grey box rather than a red
> one) for Emacs-28, but does not for Emacs-27.

Can you show the full link command in each case?  To display it, touch
some object file in src/, then say "make V=1".

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-04 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phillip.lord; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 20:41:49 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > dependency walker mentions libgmp (with a grey box rather than a red
> > one) for Emacs-28, but does not for Emacs-27.
>
> Can you show the full link command in each case?  To display it, touch
> some object file in src/, then say "make V=1".

Also: did you build both 27 and 28 with the same toolchain, the same
version of GCC and the MinGW runtime?

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-04 21:45                       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-04 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 18:21:07 +0100
>>
>> > Then perhaps you have libgmp linked in statically into Emacs 27, but
>> > not Emacs 28?  What does the dependency walker say?
>> >
>> > FWIW, my Emacs depends on libgmp in both versions.  But I don't use
>> > static linking, never have.
>>

>> Well, as far as I know, I build them with the same options.
>>
>> dependency walker mentions libgmp (with a grey box rather than a red
>> one) for Emacs-28, but does not for Emacs-27.
>
> Can you show the full link command in each case?  To display it, touch
> some object file in src/, then say "make V=1".

Here they are. Both mention gmp in the command line.

Yes, as far as I know, both Emacs-28 and Emacs-27 are build with the
same tool chain. I do all the windows builds on a VM that I use for only
this purpose. Slightly different "versions" depending on when they were
built.

Phil

================Emacs 28=========================

Administrator@cirrocumulus MINGW64 ~/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/src
$ touch dired.o

Administrator@cirrocumulus MINGW64 ~/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/src
$ make V=1
make -C ../nt ../src/emacs.res
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/nt'
make[1]: '../src/emacs.res' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/nt'
make -C ../admin/charsets all
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/charsets'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/charsets'
make -C ../admin/unidata charscript.el
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/unidata'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'charscript.el'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/unidata'
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc  -o temacs.exe.tmp \
  -Demacs  -I. -I../../../../git/master/src -I../lib -I../../../../git/master/lib  -mtune=generic    -pthread -mms-bitfields -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/librsvg-2.0 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/cairo -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/pixman-1 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/freetype2 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/harfbuzz -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/glib-2.0 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/glib-2.0/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/libpng16 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include   -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/libxml2       -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include    -mms-bitfields -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/harfbuzz -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/glib-2.0 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/glib-2.0/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include   -MMD -MF deps/.d -MP  -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/p11-kit-1    -fno-common -W -Wabsolute-value -Waddress -Waddress-of-packed-member -Waggressive-loop-optimizations -Wall -Wattribute-warning -Wattributes -Wbool-compare -Wbool-operation -Wbuiltin-declaration-mismatch -Wbuiltin-macro-redefined -Wcannot-profile -Wcast-function-type -Wchar-subscripts -Wclobbered -Wcomment -Wcomments -Wcoverage-mismatch -Wcpp -Wdangling-else -Wdate-time -Wdeprecated -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wdesignated-init -Wdisabled-optimization -Wdiscarded-array-qualifiers -Wdiscarded-qualifiers -Wdiv-by-zero -Wdouble-promotion -Wduplicated-cond -Wduplicate-decl-specifier -Wempty-body -Wendif-labels -Wenum-compare -Wexpansion-to-defined -Wextra -Wformat-contains-nul -Wformat-extra-args -Wformat-security -Wformat-signedness -Wformat-y2k -Wformat-zero-length -Wframe-address -Wfree-nonheap-object -Whsa -Wif-not-aligned -Wignored-attributes -Wignored-qualifiers -Wimplicit -Wimplicit-function-declaration -Wimplicit-int -Wincompatible-pointer-types -Winit-self -Wint-conversion -Wint-in-bool-context -Wint-to-pointer-cast -Winvalid-memory-model -Winvalid-pch -Wlogical-not-parentheses -Wlogical-op -Wmain -Wmaybe-uninitialized -Wmemset-elt-size -Wmemset-transposed-args -Wmisleading-indentation -Wmissing-attributes -Wmissing-braces -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wmissing-parameter-type -Wmissing-profile -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmultichar -Wmultistatement-macros -Wnarrowing -Wnested-externs -Wnonnull -Wnonnull-compare -Wnull-dereference -Wodr -Wold-style-declaration -Wold-style-definition -Wopenmp-simd -Woverflow -Wpacked -Wpacked-bitfield-compat -Wpacked-not-aligned -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wpointer-compare -Wpointer-to-int-cast -Wpragmas -Wpsabi -Wrestrict -Wreturn-local-addr -Wreturn-type -Wscalar-storage-order -Wsequence-point -Wshift-count-negative -Wshift-count-overflow -Wshift-negative-value -Wsizeof-array-argument -Wsizeof-pointer-div -Wsizeof-pointer-memaccess -Wstrict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -Wstringop-truncation -Wsuggest-attribute=malloc -Wsuggest-attribute=noreturn -Wsuggest-final-methods -Wsuggest-final-types -Wswitch-bool -Wswitch-unreachable -Wtautological-compare -Wtrampolines -Wtrigraphs -Wuninitialized -Wunknown-pragmas -Wunused -Wunused-but-set-parameter -Wunused-but-set-variable -Wunused-function -Wunused-label -Wunused-local-typedefs -Wunused-macros -Wunused-result -Wunused-value -Wunused-variable -Wvarargs -Wvariadic-macros -Wvector-operation-performance -Wvolatile-register-var -Wwrite-strings -Walloc-size-larger-than=9223372036854775807 -Warray-bounds=2 -Wattribute-alias=2 -Wformat-truncation=2 -Wimplicit-fallthrough=5 -Wnormalized=nfc -Wshift-overflow=2 -Wstringop-overflow=2 -Wvla-larger-than=4031 -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-override-init -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-type-limits -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-format-nonliteral -Wno-pointer-sign -O2 -g3  -Wl,-stack,0x00800000 -Wl,-heap,0x00100000 -Wl,-image-base,0x400000000 -Wl,-entry,__start -Wl,-Map,./temacs.map  \
  firstfile.o  dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o  window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o bidi.o  term.o terminal.o xfaces.o    emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o bignum.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex-emacs.o undo.o alloc.o pdumper.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o dynlib.o emacs-module.o syntax.o  bytecode.o process.o gnutls.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o timefns.o atimer.o doprnt.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o xml.o lcms.o w32notify.o  profiler.o decompress.o thread.o systhread.o      hbfont.o w32fns.o w32menu.o w32reg.o w32font.o w32term.o w32xfns.o w32select.o w32uniscribe.o w32cygwinx.o w32.o w32console.o w32heap.o w32inevt.o w32proc.o w32image.o fontset.o fringe.o image.o  json.o   tparam.o    lastfile.o   ../lib/libgnu.a emacs.res  -lwinmm -lusp10 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -lmpr -lwinspool -lole32 -lcomctl32                                           -lgmp
../lib-src/make-fingerprint.exe temacs.exe.tmp
mv temacs.exe.tmp temacs.exe
/usr/bin/mkdir -p ../etc
make -C ../lisp update-subdirs
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/lisp'
for file in ../../../../git/master/lisp ../../../../git/master/lisp/calc ../../../../git/master/lisp/calendar ../../../../git/master/lisp/emacs-lisp ../../../../git/master/lisp/emulation ../../../../git/master/lisp/erc ../../../../git/master/lisp/eshell ../../../../git/master/lisp/gnus ../../../../git/master/lisp/image ../../../../git/master/lisp/international ../../../../git/master/lisp/language ../../../../git/master/lisp/mail ../../../../git/master/lisp/mh-e ../../../../git/master/lisp/net ../../../../git/master/lisp/nxml ../../../../git/master/lisp/obsolete ../../../../git/master/lisp/org ../../../../git/master/lisp/play ../../../../git/master/lisp/progmodes ../../../../git/master/lisp/term ../../../../git/master/lisp/textmodes ../../../../git/master/lisp/url ../../../../git/master/lisp/vc; do \
   ../../../../git/master/lisp/../build-aux/update-subdirs $file; \
done;
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/lisp'
cp -f temacs.exe bootstrap-emacs.exe
rm -f bootstrap-emacs.pdmp
./temacs --batch  -l loadup --temacs=pbootstrap
dump mode: pbootstrap
Using load-path (c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/master/lisp c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/master/lisp/emacs-lisp c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/master/lisp/progmodes c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/master/lisp/language c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/master/lisp/international c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/master/lisp/textmodes c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/master/lisp/vc)
Finding pointers to doc strings...
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
Dumping under the name bootstrap-emacs.pdmp
dumping fingerprint: 703cf9e079a207ea979460afad62e87e8599672a893d93ff33d8c048dee6c1a2
Dump complete
Byte counts: header=80 hot=7828192 discardable=130224 cold=4433312
Reloc counts: hot=414192 discardable=4922
make -C ../lisp compile-first EMACS="../src/bootstrap-emacs.exe"
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/lisp'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'compile-first'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/lisp'
make -C ../admin/unidata all EMACS="../../src/bootstrap-emacs.exe"
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/unidata'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/unidata'
make -C ../admin/charsets cp51932.el
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/charsets'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'cp51932.el'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/charsets'
make -C ../admin/charsets eucjp-ms.el
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/charsets'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'eucjp-ms.el'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-28.0.50-snapshot/x86_64/admin/charsets'
/usr/bin/mkdir -p ../etc
rm -f ../etc/DOC
../lib-src/make-docfile -d ../../../../git/master/src \
  dosfns.o msdos.o xterm.o xfns.o xmenu.o xselect.o xrdb.o xsmfns.o fringe.o image.o fontset.o dbusbind.o cygw32.o nsterm.o nsfns.o nsmenu.o nsselect.o nsimage.o nsfont.o macfont.o w32.o w32console.o w32cygwinx.o w32fns.o w32heap.o w32inevt.o w32notify.o w32menu.o w32proc.o w32reg.o w32select.o w32term.o w32xfns.o w16select.o widget.o xfont.o ftfont.o xftfont.o gtkutil.o xsettings.o xgselect.o termcap.o hbfont.o dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o  window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o bidi.o  term.o terminal.o xfaces.o    emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o bignum.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex-emacs.o undo.o alloc.o pdumper.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o dynlib.o emacs-module.o syntax.o  bytecode.o process.o gnutls.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o timefns.o atimer.o doprnt.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o xml.o lcms.o w32notify.o  profiler.o decompress.o thread.o systhread.o      hbfont.o w32fns.o w32menu.o w32reg.o w32font.o w32term.o w32xfns.o w32select.o w32uniscribe.o w32cygwinx.o w32.o w32console.o w32heap.o w32inevt.o w32proc.o w32image.o fontset.o fringe.o image.o  json.o   > ../etc/DOC
../lib-src/make-docfile -a ../etc/DOC -d ../../../../git/master/lisp \
  loaddefs.el loadup.el abbrev.elc bindings.elc buff-menu.elc button.elc case-table.elc composite.elc cus-face.elc cus-start.elc custom.elc disp-table.elc dnd.elc dos-fns.elc dos-vars.elc dos-w32.elc dynamic-setting.elc electric.elc emacs-lisp/backquote.elc emacs-lisp/byte-run.elc emacs-lisp/cl-generic.elc emacs-lisp/cl-preloaded.elc emacs-lisp/eldoc.elc emacs-lisp/float-sup.elc emacs-lisp/lisp-mode.elc emacs-lisp/lisp.elc emacs-lisp/macroexp.elc emacs-lisp/map-ynp.elc emacs-lisp/nadvice.elc emacs-lisp/regexp-opt.elc emacs-lisp/syntax.elc emacs-lisp/tabulated-list.elc emacs-lisp/timer.elc env.elc epa-hook.elc facemenu.elc faces.elc files.elc font-core.elc font-lock.elc format.elc frame.elc fringe.elc help.elc image.elc indent.elc international/characters.elc international/charprop.el international/cp51932.elc international/eucjp-ms.elc international/fontset.elc international/mule-cmds.elc international/mule-conf.elc international/mule-util.elc international/mule.elc international/ucs-normalize.elc isearch.elc jit-lock.elc jka-cmpr-hook.elc language/burmese.elc language/cham.elc language/chinese.elc language/cyrillic.elc language/czech.elc language/english.elc language/ethiopic.elc language/european.elc language/georgian.elc language/greek.elc language/hebrew.elc language/indian.elc language/japanese.elc language/khmer.elc language/korean.elc language/lao.elc language/misc-lang.elc language/romanian.elc language/sinhala.elc language/slovak.elc language/tai-viet.elc language/thai.elc language/tibetan.elc language/utf-8-lang.elc language/vietnamese.elc ls-lisp.elc menu-bar.elc minibuffer.elc mouse.elc mwheel.elc newcomment.elc obarray.elc progmodes/elisp-mode.elc progmodes/prog-mode.elc register.elc replace.elc rfn-eshadow.elc scroll-bar.elc select.elc simple.elc startup.elc subr.elc tab-bar.elc term/common-win.elc term/internal.elc term/ns-win.elc term/pc-win.elc term/tty-colors.elc term/w32-win.elc term/x-win.elc textmodes/fill.elc textmodes/page.elc textmodes/paragraphs.elc textmodes/text-mode.elc tool-bar.elc tooltip.elc uniquify.elc vc/ediff-hook.elc vc/vc-hooks.elc version.elc w32-fns.elc w32-vars.elc widget.elc window.elc x-dnd.elc
rm -f emacs.exe && cp -f temacs.exe emacs.exe
LC_ALL=C ./temacs -batch  -l loadup --temacs=pdump
dump mode: pdump
Using load-path (c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/master/lisp)
Waiting for git...
Waiting for git...
Finding pointers to doc strings...
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
Pure-hashed: 16394 strings, 4661 vectors, 40928 conses, 3974 bytecodes, 245 others
Dumping under the name emacs.pdmp
dumping fingerprint: 703cf9e079a207ea979460afad62e87e8599672a893d93ff33d8c048dee6c1a2
Dump complete
Byte counts: header=80 hot=7217376 discardable=130224 cold=3250424
Reloc counts: hot=388014 discardable=4922
Adding name emacs-28.0.50.3.exe
Adding name emacs-28.0.50.3.pdmp
cp -f emacs.pdmp bootstrap-emacs.pdmp

================Emacs 28=========================

================Emacs 27=========================
Administrator@cirrocumulus MINGW64 ~/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/src
$ make V=1
make -C ../nt ../src/emacs.res
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/nt'
make[1]: '../src/emacs.res' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/nt'
make -C ../admin/charsets all
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/admin/charsets'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/admin/charsets'
make -C ../admin/unidata charscript.el
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/admin/unidata'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'charscript.el'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/admin/unidata'
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc  -o temacs.exe.tmp \
  -Demacs  -I. -I../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/src -I../lib -I../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lib  -mtune=generic    -pthread -mms-bitfields -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/librsvg-2.0 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/cairo -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/pixman-1 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/freetype2 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/harfbuzz -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/glib-2.0 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/glib-2.0/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/libpng16 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include   -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/libxml2       -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include    -mms-bitfields -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/harfbuzz -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/glib-2.0 -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/glib-2.0/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include   -MMD -MF deps/.d -MP   -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include -isystem C:/msys64/mingw64/include/p11-kit-1    -fno-common -W -Wabsolute-value -Waddress -Waddress-of-packed-member -Waggressive-loop-optimizations -Wall -Wattribute-warning -Wattributes -Wbool-compare -Wbool-operation -Wbuiltin-declaration-mismatch -Wbuiltin-macro-redefined -Wcannot-profile -Wcast-function-type -Wchar-subscripts -Wclobbered -Wcomment -Wcomments -Wcoverage-mismatch -Wcpp -Wdangling-else -Wdate-time -Wdeprecated -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wdesignated-init -Wdisabled-optimization -Wdiscarded-array-qualifiers -Wdiscarded-qualifiers -Wdiv-by-zero -Wdouble-promotion -Wduplicated-cond -Wduplicate-decl-specifier -Wempty-body -Wendif-labels -Wenum-compare -Wexpansion-to-defined -Wextra -Wformat-contains-nul -Wformat-extra-args -Wformat-security -Wformat-signedness -Wformat-y2k -Wformat-zero-length -Wframe-address -Wfree-nonheap-object -Whsa -Wif-not-aligned -Wignored-attributes -Wignored-qualifiers -Wimplicit -Wimplicit-function-declaration -Wimplicit-int -Wincompatible-pointer-types -Winit-self -Wint-conversion -Wint-in-bool-context -Wint-to-pointer-cast -Winvalid-memory-model -Winvalid-pch -Wlogical-not-parentheses -Wlogical-op -Wmain -Wmaybe-uninitialized -Wmemset-elt-size -Wmemset-transposed-args -Wmisleading-indentation -Wmissing-attributes -Wmissing-braces -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wmissing-parameter-type -Wmissing-profile -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmultichar -Wmultistatement-macros -Wnarrowing -Wnested-externs -Wnonnull -Wnonnull-compare -Wnull-dereference -Wodr -Wold-style-declaration -Wold-style-definition -Wopenmp-simd -Woverflow -Wpacked -Wpacked-bitfield-compat -Wpacked-not-aligned -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wpointer-compare -Wpointer-to-int-cast -Wpragmas -Wpsabi -Wrestrict -Wreturn-local-addr -Wreturn-type -Wscalar-storage-order -Wsequence-point -Wshift-count-negative -Wshift-count-overflow -Wshift-negative-value -Wsizeof-array-argument -Wsizeof-pointer-div -Wsizeof-pointer-memaccess -Wstrict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -Wstringop-truncation -Wsuggest-attribute=malloc -Wsuggest-attribute=noreturn -Wsuggest-final-methods -Wsuggest-final-types -Wswitch-bool -Wswitch-unreachable -Wtautological-compare -Wtrampolines -Wtrigraphs -Wuninitialized -Wunknown-pragmas -Wunused -Wunused-but-set-parameter -Wunused-but-set-variable -Wunused-function -Wunused-label -Wunused-local-typedefs -Wunused-macros -Wunused-result -Wunused-value -Wunused-variable -Wvarargs -Wvariadic-macros -Wvector-operation-performance -Wvolatile-register-var -Wwrite-strings -Walloc-size-larger-than=9223372036854775807 -Warray-bounds=2 -Wattribute-alias=2 -Wformat-truncation=2 -Wimplicit-fallthrough=5 -Wnormalized=nfc -Wshift-overflow=2 -Wstringop-overflow=2 -Wvla-larger-than=4031 -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-override-init -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-type-limits -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-format-nonliteral -Wno-pointer-sign -O2 -static  -Wl,-stack,0x00800000 -Wl,-heap,0x00100000 -Wl,-image-base,0x400000000 -Wl,-entry,__start -Wl,-Map,./temacs.map  \
  firstfile.o  dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o  window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o bidi.o  term.o terminal.o xfaces.o    emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o bignum.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex-emacs.o undo.o alloc.o pdumper.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o dynlib.o emacs-module.o syntax.o  bytecode.o process.o gnutls.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o timefns.o atimer.o doprnt.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o xml.o lcms.o w32notify.o  profiler.o decompress.o thread.o systhread.o      hbfont.o w32fns.o w32menu.o w32reg.o w32font.o w32term.o w32xfns.o w32select.o w32uniscribe.o w32cygwinx.o w32.o w32console.o w32heap.o w32inevt.o w32proc.o fontset.o fringe.o image.o     tparam.o    lastfile.o   ../lib/libgnu.a emacs.res  -lwinmm -lusp10 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -lmpr -lwinspool -lole32 -lcomctl32                                           -lgmp
../lib-src/make-fingerprint.exe temacs.exe.tmp
mv temacs.exe.tmp temacs.exe
/usr/bin/mkdir -p ../etc
make -C ../lisp update-subdirs
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/lisp'
for file in ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/calc ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/calendar ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/emulation ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/erc ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/eshell ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/gnus ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/image ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/international ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/language ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/mail ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/mh-e ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/net ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/nxml ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/obsolete ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/org ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/play ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/progmodes ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/term ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/textmodes ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/url ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/vc; do \
   ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/../build-aux/update-subdirs $file; \
done;
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Administrator/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/lisp'
cp -f temacs.exe bootstrap-emacs.exe
rm -f bootstrap-emacs.pdmp
./temacs --batch  -l loadup --temacs=pbootstrap
dump mode: pbootstrap
Using load-path (c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/progmodes c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/language c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/international c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/textmodes c:/msys64/home/Administrator/emacs-build/git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp/vc)
Finding pointers to doc strings...
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
Dumping under the name bootstrap-emacs.pdmp
dumping fingerprint: e55e00ff2eafd88759b2505c7c1b4cb08a1ceb4823da2035d4f9a162b3d9d166
Dump complete
Byte counts: header=80 hot=7801960 discardable=128688 cold=4408848
Reloc counts: hot=412765 discardable=4872
[...]
../lib-src/make-docfile -d ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/src \
  dosfns.o msdos.o xterm.o xfns.o xmenu.o xselect.o xrdb.o xsmfns.o fringe.o image.o fontset.o dbusbind.o cygw32.o nsterm.o nsfns.o nsmenu.o nsselect.o nsimage.o nsfont.o macfont.o w32.o w32console.o w32cygwinx.o w32fns.o w32heap.o w32inevt.o w32notify.o w32menu.o w32proc.o w32reg.o w32select.o w32term.o w32xfns.o w16select.o widget.o xfont.o ftfont.o xftfont.o ftxfont.o gtkutil.o xsettings.o xgselect.o termcap.o hbfont.o dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o  window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o bidi.o  term.o terminal.o xfaces.o    emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o bignum.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex-emacs.o undo.o alloc.o pdumper.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o dynlib.o emacs-module.o syntax.o  bytecode.o process.o gnutls.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o timefns.o atimer.o doprnt.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o xml.o lcms.o w32notify.o  profiler.o decompress.o thread.o systhread.o      hbfont.o w32fns.o w32menu.o w32reg.o w32font.o w32term.o w32xfns.o w32select.o w32uniscribe.o w32cygwinx.o w32.o w32console.o w32heap.o w32inevt.o w32proc.o fontset.o fringe.o image.o     > ../etc/DOC
../lib-src/make-docfile -a ../etc/DOC -d ../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/lisp \
[...]
Pure-hashed: 16315 strings, 4616 vectors, 42032 conses, 4286 bytecodes, 239 others
Dumping under the name emacs.pdmp
dumping fingerprint: e55e00ff2eafd88759b2505c7c1b4cb08a1ceb4823da2035d4f9a162b3d9d166
Dump complete
Byte counts: header=80 hot=7232096 discardable=128688 cold=3249480
Reloc counts: hot=388909 discardable=4872
Adding name emacs-27.0.91.2.exe
Adding name emacs-27.0.91.2.pdmp

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-05 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 22:45:26 +0100
>
> > Can you show the full link command in each case?  To display it, touch
> > some object file in src/, then say "make V=1".
>
> Here they are. Both mention gmp in the command line.

Yes, but there's a subtle difference:

> ================Emacs 28========================= [...]
> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -o temacs.exe.tmp \ -Demacs
> -I. -I../../../../git/master/src -I../lib
> [...]
> -Wno-pointer-sign -O2 -g3 -Wl,-stack,0x00800000 -Wl,-heap,0x00100000
                    ^^^^^^^

> ================Emacs 27=========================
> Administrator@cirrocumulus MINGW64
> ~/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/src $ make V=1 [...]
> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -o temacs.exe.tmp \ -Demacs
> -I. -I../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/src -I../lib
> [...]
> -Wno-pointer-sign -O2 -static -Wl,-stack,0x00800000
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^

IOW, the Emacs 27 build uses -static (thus linking against libgmp
statically), whereas the Emacs 28 does not.  Which is why
libgmp-10.dll ends up being a runtime dependency of the latter, but
not the former.

I don't know how this happened, but hopefully this is a string you
could pull to find the reason(s).  First question I'd ask is "how do
you arrange for -static to be injected into the link command line?"
Maybe whatever you do no longer works with the master branch?

* Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
@ 2020-07-05 21:04                           ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2020-07-05 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 22:45:26 +0100
>>
>> > Can you show the full link command in each case?  To display it, touch
>> > some object file in src/, then say "make V=1".
>>
>> Here they are. Both mention gmp in the command line.
>
> Yes, but there's a subtle difference:
>
>> ================Emacs 28========================= [...]
>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -o temacs.exe.tmp \ -Demacs
>> -I. -I../../../../git/master/src -I../lib
>> [...]
>> -Wno-pointer-sign -O2 -g3 -Wl,-stack,0x00800000 -Wl,-heap,0x00100000
>                     ^^^^^^^
>
>> ================Emacs 27=========================
>> Administrator@cirrocumulus MINGW64
>> ~/emacs-build/build/emacs-27.0.91/x86_64/src $ make V=1 [...]
>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -o temacs.exe.tmp \ -Demacs
>> -I. -I../../../../git/emacs-27.0.91/src -I../lib
>> [...]
>> -Wno-pointer-sign -O2 -static -Wl,-stack,0x00800000
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> IOW, the Emacs 27 build uses -static (thus linking against libgmp
> statically), whereas the Emacs 28 does not.  Which is why
> libgmp-10.dll ends up being a runtime dependency of the latter, but
> not the former.
>
> I don't know how this happened, but hopefully this is a string you
> could pull to find the reason(s).  First question I'd ask is "how do
> you arrange for -static to be injected into the link command line?"
> Maybe whatever you do no longer works with the master branch?

Oh dear. My build source was dirty.

I have added `-static` for a long time. IIRC, this was because something
tended to pull in libwinpthread, so -static subverted this problem. The
snapshot builds are also build with -g3 because you asked me to add
that. My master had a modified build-zips. Clearly I was experimenting
with removing static.

Apologies for noise. I will update the snapshot.

Phil