* Re: master c5e8254 2/3: Apply icalendar.el patch by Thomas Plass <thunk2@arcor.de>. Fix bug#34315.
@ 2020-09-02 18:12 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-09-02 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Jasper; +Cc: emacs-devel

Please in the future, when you commit patches by someone else, make
them the author of the commit, instead of just mentioning their names
in the log message.  If the patch was not formatted by the likes of
"git format-patch", you can use Git's --author switch (or any
equivalent feature) to specify the actual author at commit time.

Also, Thomas doesn't seem to have a copyright assignment on file,
which means we can only accept small contributions from him (and this
one is already slightly larger than the limit), and those
contributions must be marked with

  Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes

in the log message.

Please make a point of observing these rules in the future, they are
important to allow us maintain correct attributions for the code we
accept, and know their legal status.  When in doubt, please ask here.

TIA

* Re: master c5e8254 2/3: Apply icalendar.el patch by Thomas Plass <thunk2@arcor.de>. Fix bug#34315.
@ 2020-09-02 18:24 ` Ulf Jasper
From: Ulf Jasper @ 2020-09-02 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Am 02.09.2020 um 21:12 (+0300) schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
> Please in the future, when you commit patches by someone else, make
> them the author of the commit, instead of just mentioning their names
> in the log message.  If the patch was not formatted by the likes of
> "git format-patch", you can use Git's --author switch (or any
> equivalent feature) to specify the actual author at commit time.
>
> Also, Thomas doesn't seem to have a copyright assignment on file,
> which means we can only accept small contributions from him (and this
> one is already slightly larger than the limit), and those
> contributions must be marked with
>
>   Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes
>
> in the log message.
>
> Please make a point of observing these rules in the future, they are
> important to allow us maintain correct attributions for the code we
> accept, and know their legal status.  When in doubt, please ask here.

Sorry for breaking the rules.  Will do better next time.

I have somee questions though:

- Who is allowed to proclaim a Copyright-paperwork-exemption?
- What is the limit?  (I checked 'CONTRIBUTE' before committing but did
  not find one.  (Maybe I just missed it.)  So I assumed this patch to
   be "small".)
- Does it matter that I modified the patch before committing and
  pushing?

* Re: master c5e8254 2/3: Apply icalendar.el patch by Thomas Plass <thunk2@arcor.de>. Fix bug#34315.
@ 2020-09-02 18:36   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-09-02 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Jasper; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ulf Jasper <ulf.jasper@web.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 20:24:52 +0200
>
> - Who is allowed to proclaim a Copyright-paperwork-exemption?

The person who commits the changes.  As long as the changes are small
enough, they can go in with that tag.

> - What is the limit?

About 15 lines, disregarding trivial ones.  If you aren't sure, please
ask.

> - Does it matter that I modified the patch before committing and
>   pushing?

It depends what kind of changes you did.  In general, it is better to
commit the contribution as is, with the original author, then make
your followup changes (in a separate commit) with you as the author.

* Re: master c5e8254 2/3: Apply icalendar.el patch by Thomas Plass <thunk2@arcor.de>. Fix bug#34315.
@ 2020-09-02 18:54     ` Ulf Jasper
From: Ulf Jasper @ 2020-09-02 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Am 02.09.2020 um 21:36 (+0300) schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>> From: Ulf Jasper <ulf.jasper@web.de>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 20:24:52 +0200
>>
>> - Who is allowed to proclaim a Copyright-paperwork-exemption?
>
> The person who commits the changes.  As long as the changes are small
> enough, they can go in with that tag.

OK.

>> - What is the limit?
>
> About 15 lines, disregarding trivial ones.  If you aren't sure, please
> ask.

Found it in 'CONTRIBUTE'.

>> - Does it matter that I modified the patch before committing and
>>   pushing?
>
> It depends what kind of changes you did.  In general, it is better to
> commit the contribution as is, with the original author, then make
> your followup changes (in a separate commit) with you as the author.

Sounds quite reasonable.

I'll do my best to follow these rules in the future.  Is there anything
I should do now to correct this mistake?

* Re: master c5e8254 2/3: Apply icalendar.el patch by Thomas Plass <thunk2@arcor.de>. Fix bug#34315.
@ 2020-09-02 18:58       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-09-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Jasper; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ulf Jasper <ulf.jasper@web.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 20:54:02 +0200
>
> I'll do my best to follow these rules in the future.

Thanks.

> Is there anything I should do now to correct this mistake?

One thing we can do is ask Thomas to sign the legal paperwork, thus
assigning the copyright for this contribution.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything that can be done,
unfortunately.  With Git, once stuff is pushed, it's carved in stone.

* Re: master c5e8254 2/3: Apply icalendar.el patch by Thomas Plass <thunk2@arcor.de>. Fix bug#34315.
@ 2020-09-02 19:21         ` Ulf Jasper
From: Ulf Jasper @ 2020-09-02 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Am 02.09.2020 um 21:58 (+0300) schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> One thing we can do is ask Thomas to sign the legal paperwork, thus
> assigning the copyright for this contribution.

I can ask Thomas to do that.  I'll point him to emacs-devel for
requesting the forms, right?

* Re: master c5e8254 2/3: Apply icalendar.el patch by Thomas Plass <thunk2@arcor.de>. Fix bug#34315.
@ 2020-09-03 13:07           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-09-03 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Jasper; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ulf Jasper <ulf.jasper@web.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 21:21:22 +0200
>
> Am 02.09.2020 um 21:58 (+0300) schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>
> > One thing we can do is ask Thomas to sign the legal paperwork, thus
> > assigning the copyright for this contribution.
>
> I can ask Thomas to do that.  I'll point him to emacs-devel for
> requesting the forms, right?

Yes.

* Re: master c5e8254 2/3: Apply icalendar.el patch by Thomas Plass <thunk2@arcor.de>. Fix bug#34315.
@ 2020-09-03 14:31             ` Ulf Jasper
From: Ulf Jasper @ 2020-09-03 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Am 03.09.2020 um 16:07 (+0300) schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

>> I can ask Thomas to do that.  I'll point him to emacs-devel for
>> requesting the forms, right?
>
> Yes.

Done.