* Appending items to variables in .dir-locals.el
@ 2022-09-21  7:48 Thuna
From: Thuna @ 2022-09-21  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I think it would be good to be able to add items to variables that hold
lists in `.dir-locals.el'.  Maybe with the special form `(append
VARIABLE . ITEMS))'?  Considering `auto-mode-alist' has its own special
form, I think the need for this already exists.

* Re: Appending items to variables in .dir-locals.el
@ 2022-09-21 11:36 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-09-21 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thuna; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thuna <thuna.cing@gmail.com> writes:

> I think it would be good to be able to add items to variables that hold
> lists in `.dir-locals.el'.  Maybe with the special form `(append
> VARIABLE . ITEMS))'?  Considering `auto-mode-alist' has its own special
> form, I think the need for this already exists.

While not exactly what you want, you can add a lisp expression and have
it evaluated to the same effect.  But yes, a proper feature would be
nice to have.

* Re: Appending items to variables in .dir-locals.el
@ 2022-09-21 11:39 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-09-21 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thuna; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thuna <thuna.cing@gmail.com> writes:

> I think it would be good to be able to add items to variables that hold
> lists in `.dir-locals.el'.  Maybe with the special form `(append
> VARIABLE . ITEMS))'?  Considering `auto-mode-alist' has its own special
> form, I think the need for this already exists.

Yes, I think that would be handy.

* Re: Appending items to variables in .dir-locals.el
@ 2022-09-21 18:40   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2022-09-21 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Thuna, emacs-devel

>> I think it would be good to be able to add items to variables that hold
>> lists in `.dir-locals.el'.  Maybe with the special form `(append
>> VARIABLE . ITEMS))'?  Considering `auto-mode-alist' has its own special
>> form, I think the need for this already exists.
>
> While not exactly what you want, you can add a lisp expression and have
> it evaluated to the same effect.  But yes, a proper feature would be
> nice to have.

Isn't (eval . (add-to-list 'VARIABLE ITEMS)) already short enough?

* Re: Appending items to variables in .dir-locals.el
@ 2022-09-21 19:06     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-09-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Thuna, emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

>>> I think it would be good to be able to add items to variables that hold
>>> lists in `.dir-locals.el'.  Maybe with the special form `(append
>>> VARIABLE . ITEMS))'?  Considering `auto-mode-alist' has its own special
>>> form, I think the need for this already exists.
>>
>> While not exactly what you want, you can add a lisp expression and have
>> it evaluated to the same effect.  But yes, a proper feature would be
>> nice to have.
>
> Isn't (eval . (add-to-list 'VARIABLE ITEMS)) already short enough?

AFAIK this won't check if VARIABLE is safe and the modification isn't
local.