* Re: emacs-29 afc1f329356: Allow to disable the DWIMish behavior of 'x' in package menu
       [not found] ` <20230529134457.80705C13916@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2023-05-29 14:03   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-05-29 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii

    Eli> branch: emacs-29
    Eli> commit afc1f329356da167902d86b610023a32943f6cee
    Eli> Author: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
    Eli> Commit: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>

    Eli>     Allow to disable the DWIMish behavior of 'x' in package menu

Apropos:

M-x list-packages
/ n ack ;; navigate to the line for 'ack'
/ /

Notice that the 'I' flag has disappeared from 'ack', which is somewhat
suprising, although I donʼt know if it qualifies as a bug, but it does
make the 'search for a bunch of packages and install them' process
more cumbersome.

Robert

* Re: emacs-29 afc1f329356: Allow to disable the DWIMish behavior of 'x' in package menu
@ 2023-05-29 14:15     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-29 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 16:03:45 +0200

>     Eli> branch: emacs-29
>     Eli> commit afc1f329356da167902d86b610023a32943f6cee
>     Eli> Author: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>     Eli> Commit: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
>     Eli>     Allow to disable the DWIMish behavior of 'x' in package menu
>
> Apropos:

"Apropos" means this is somehow related to the changes I installed?
Or just another issue with package.el?  I think it's the latter.

> M-x list-packages
> / n ack ;; navigate to the line for 'ack'
> / /
>
> Notice that the 'I' flag has disappeared from 'ack', which is somewhat
> suprising, although I donʼt know if it qualifies as a bug, but it does
> make the 'search for a bunch of packages and install them' process
> more cumbersome.

Sigh... why are these usability issues popping up just now?..  Does no
one try these new features when they are added?

Anyway, please file another bug report, or start a discussion on
emacs-devel, and let's see where this leads us.

* Re: emacs-29 afc1f329356: Allow to disable the DWIMish behavior of 'x' in package menu
@ 2023-05-29 14:45       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-05-29 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

    >> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
    >> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
    >> Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 16:03:45 +0200

    Eli> branch: emacs-29
    Eli> commit afc1f329356da167902d86b610023a32943f6cee
    Eli> Author: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
    Eli> Commit: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
    >>
    Eli> Allow to disable the DWIMish behavior of 'x' in package menu
    >>
    >> Apropos:

    Eli> "Apropos" means this is somehow related to the changes I installed?
    Eli> Or just another issue with package.el?  I think it's the latter.

The latter

    >> M-x list-packages
    >> / n ack ;; navigate to the line for 'ack'
    >> / /
    >>
    >> Notice that the 'I' flag has disappeared from 'ack', which is somewhat
    >> suprising, although I donʼt know if it qualifies as a bug, but it does
    >> make the 'search for a bunch of packages and install them' process
    >> more cumbersome.

    Eli> Sigh... why are these usability issues popping up just now?..  Does no
    Eli> one try these new features when they are added?

I suspect Iʼm like most people in that I donʼt often add multiple new
packages in one go.

    Eli> Anyway, please file another bug report, or start a discussion on
    Eli> emacs-devel, and let's see where this leads us.

Iʼve filed a bug.

Robert