* The transparence code - is it installed?
@ 2008-06-22 14:21 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-22 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

There was a question on EmacsWiki if the transparency code was installed:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TransparentEmacs

According to this

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-06/msg00125.html

it is. But it does not work for me (with my patched Emacs on w32). What
is the state now, is this patch installed? There is nothing in Info as
far as I can see.

* Re: The transparence code - is it installed?
@ 2008-06-22 14:47 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-06-22 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
> There was a question on EmacsWiki if the transparency code was installed:
> it is. But it does not work for me (with my patched Emacs on w32). What
> is the state now, is this patch installed? There is nothing in Info as
> far as I can see.

It is installed, but you'll need a compositing window manager (like
compiz or mac osx) to use it.

I've tried it, and it works, but it doesn't seem terribly useful in
practice -- afaict, it affects _everything_ in the emacs frame, not just
the background (and compiz, at least, can actually do that without any
emacs support at all)...

-Miles

--
Conservative, n. A statesman enamored of existing evils, as opposed to a
Liberal, who wants to replace them with new ones.

* Re: The transparence code - is it installed?
@ 2008-06-22 14:52   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-22 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Miles Bader wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>> There was a question on EmacsWiki if the transparency code was installed:
>> it is. But it does not work for me (with my patched Emacs on w32). What
>> is the state now, is this patch installed? There is nothing in Info as
>> far as I can see.
>
> It is installed, but you'll need a compositing window manager (like
> compiz or mac osx) to use it.

Then there is something strange. There were several people trying to
make me add this to my patched Emacs for w32. What has happened to the
w32 part? Was it lost somewhere?

@ 2008-06-23  3:23   ` Michael Ekstrand
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2008-06-23  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
> I've tried it, and it works, but it doesn't seem terribly useful in
> practice -- afaict, it affects _everything_ in the emacs frame, not just
> the background (and compiz, at least, can actually do that without any
> emacs support at all)...

This thread prompted me to try it myself as well, as I enjoy a slight
bit of translucency to my editing/shell workspaces.  And indeed, the
translucency of non-background elements is undesirable.

Are there any plans to add support for alpha channel values in the color
specifications?  It should be possible with GTK+ (the XFCE terminal
emulator uses true translucency for the background on composited
displays).

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.