* Unclear in etc/NEWS
@ 2005-05-09 21:03 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-05-09 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I saw this text in etc/NEWS

    ---
    *** Unexpected yanking of text due to accidental clicking on the mouse
    wheel button (typically mouse-2) during wheel scrolling is now avoided.
    This behavior can be customized via the mouse-wheel-click-event and
    mouse-wheel-inhibit-click-time variables.

and I don't understand it.  It says that a certain problem won't
happen, but it fails to say what Emacs actually *does*.

Would someone who understands this please clarify it?

* RE: Unclear in etc/NEWS
@ 2005-05-09 21:36 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-05-09 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

    I saw this text in etc/NEWS

        ---
        *** Unexpected yanking of text due to accidental clicking
    on the mouse
        wheel button (typically mouse-2) during wheel scrolling is
    now avoided.
        This behavior can be customized via the mouse-wheel-click-event and
        mouse-wheel-inhibit-click-time variables.

    and I don't understand it.  It says that a certain problem won't
    happen, but it fails to say what Emacs actually *does*.

    Would someone who understands this please clarify it?

I may be wrong, but I believe this means that previously you might
accidentally press the wheel while rotating it, that was interpreted as a
mouse-2 click, and that caused a spurious yank.

Many mouse wheels also function as mouse-2, by pressing them. It is all too
easy to accidentally press the wheel while you rotate it. This fix
presumably ignores mouse-2 clicks interspersed with wheel rotations.

* Re: Unclear in etc/NEWS
@ 2005-05-10 16:25   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-05-10 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Many mouse wheels also function as mouse-2, by pressing them. It is all too
    easy to accidentally press the wheel while you rotate it. This fix
    presumably ignores mouse-2 clicks interspersed with wheel rotations.

Does anyone know if that is what it really does?

* Re: Unclear in etc/NEWS
@ 2005-05-12  2:08     ` Daniel Brockman
From: Daniel Brockman @ 2005-05-12  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Many mouse wheels also function as mouse-2, by pressing
>     them. It is all too easy to accidentally press the wheel while
>     you rotate it. This fix presumably ignores mouse-2 clicks
>     interspersed with wheel rotations.
>
> Does anyone know if that is what it really does?

I don't have a mouse, but this is what the docstrings say:

mouse-wheel-click-event's value is mouse-2

Event that should be temporarily inhibited after mouse scrolling.
The mouse wheel is typically on the mouse-2 button, so it may easily
happen that text is accidentially yanked into the buffer when
scrolling with the mouse wheel.  To prevent that, this variable can be
set to the event sent when clicking on the mouse wheel button.

mouse-wheel-inhibit-click-time's value is 0.35

Time in seconds to inhibit clicking on mouse wheel button after scroll.

--
Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se>