* CVS checkout (2009-04-16) fails to link under Solaris 9 and AIX 5L
@ 2009-04-16 19:22 Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2009-04-16 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello all,

the CVS version of today (2009-04-16) fails to link on Solaris 9 and AIX
5L. The link command of "temacs" reports the following undefined
symbols:

  Solaris 9
  ---------
  Qja                                 xfont.o
  Qko                                 xfont.o

  AIX 5L
  ------
  ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Qja
  ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Qko

On GNU/Linux and OS X X11 version all works fine.

If this needs a precise bug report let me know.

Harald

PS: Normally I don't build the latest emacs version every day on that
targets, so the problem might be in a checkin in the last 7 or 14 days.

* Re: CVS checkout (2009-04-16) fails to link under Solaris 9 and AIX 5L
@ 2009-04-17 16:45 ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2009-04-17 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Harald Maier <harald@maierh.de> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> the CVS version of today (2009-04-16) fails to link on Solaris 9 and AIX
> 5L. The link command of "temacs" reports the following undefined
> symbols:
>
>   Solaris 9
>   ---------
>   Undefined                       first referenced
>    symbol                             in file
>   Qja                                 xfont.o
>   Qko                                 xfont.o
>
>   AIX 5L
>   ------
>   ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Qja
>   ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Qko
>
> On GNU/Linux and OS X X11 version all works fine.

The problem exists too unter GNU/Linux if emacs is build only with
xfont.o. The symbols "Qja" and "Qko" are defined in "ftfont.c" and used
in xfont.c and xftfont.c. If we can place the defintion in xfont.c and
use in ftfont.c and xftfont.c "extern" references all works fine.

,----[ src/Makefile.in ]
| #ifdef HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM
| #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS
| #if defined (HAVE_XFT)
| FONT_DRIVERS = xfont.o ftfont.o xftfont.o ftxfont.o
| #elif defined (HAVE_FREETYPE)
| FONT_DRIVERS = xfont.o ftfont.o ftxfont.o
| #else /* ! defined (HAVE_XFT) && ! defined (HAVE_FREETYPE) */
| FONT_DRIVERS = xfont.o
| #endif /* ! defined (HAVE_XFT) && ! defined (HAVE_FREETYPE) */
| #endif /* HAVE_X_WINDOWS */
| #endif /* HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM */
`----

Harald

* Re: CVS checkout (2009-04-16) fails to link under Solaris 9 and AIX 5L
@ 2009-04-17 18:41   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-04-17 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Maier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Harald Maier <harald@maierh.de> writes:

> The problem exists too unter GNU/Linux if emacs is build only with
> xfont.o. The symbols "Qja" and "Qko" are defined in "ftfont.c" and
> used in xfont.c and xftfont.c. If we can place the defintion in
> xfont.c and use in ftfont.c and xftfont.c "extern" references all
> works fine.

I've checked in a fix.  Thanks for noticing this problem.

* Re: CVS checkout (2009-04-16) fails to link under Solaris 9 and AIX 5L
@ 2009-04-20  0:56     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-04-20  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: harald, emacs-devel

In article <87tz4n86nz.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> writes:

> Harald Maier <harald@maierh.de> writes:
> > The problem exists too unter GNU/Linux if emacs is build only with
> > xfont.o. The symbols "Qja" and "Qko" are defined in "ftfont.c" and
> > used in xfont.c and xftfont.c. If we can place the defintion in
> > xfont.c and use in ftfont.c and xftfont.c "extern" references all
> > works fine.

Sorry for this problem.  I think the definitions of Qja and
Qko should be moved to font.c, not xfont.c.  But..

> I've checked in a fix.  Thanks for noticing this problem.

Ah, you acually moved the definitions to font.c.  Thank you
for the fix.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org