* Run emacs in the browser with gtk broadway
@ 2012-11-02 16:44 Thomas Koch
From: Thomas Koch @ 2012-11-02 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hi,

are you aware of project "broadway"[1] by Alexander Larsson[2]? It's an HTML5
rendering backend for GTK. Am I too naive when I'm hoping to run emacs with
its help in the browser?

[1] http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=broadway
[2] http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/category/gtk/

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

* Re: Run emacs in the browser with gtk broadway
@ 2012-11-02 17:36 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2012-11-02 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas; +Cc: Emacs developers

Hello.

2 nov 2012 kl. 17:44 skrev Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro>:

> Hi,
>
> are you aware of project "broadway"[1] by Alexander Larsson[2]? It's an HTML5
> rendering backend for GTK. Am I too naive when I'm hoping to run emacs with
> its help in the browser?
>
> [1] http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=broadway
> [2] http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/category/gtk/
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

It is an achivement, but I don't quite see the point, you still need an Emacs binary run locally.
Maybe Emacs can be run on a server and the browser pointed to it, probably a security nightmare.

But Emacs does not use Gtk+-events, but has a rather non-standard event handling that depends on X11. I suspect that is a showstopper.

	Jan D.

* Re: Run emacs in the browser with gtk broadway
@ 2012-11-03  7:26 ` William Stevenson
From: William Stevenson @ 2012-11-03  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> writes:
> are you aware of project "broadway"[1] by Alexander Larsson[2]? It's an HTML5
> rendering backend for GTK. Am I too naive when I'm hoping to run emacs with
> its help in the browser?

The Secure Shell plugin for chrome is one way to do that today:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/secure-shell/pnhechapfaindjhompbnflcldabbghjo