* question about YAML and JSON library bindings
@ 2014-09-22 21:16 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-09-22 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I couldn't find anything except
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-01/msg00307.html so
I wanted to ask if it would be reasonable to add YAML and JSON C library
bindings to the Emacs core without waiting for FFI capabilities.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: question about YAML and JSON library bindings
@ 2014-09-22 22:04 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-09-22 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I couldn't find anything except
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-01/msg00307.html so
> I wanted to ask if it would be reasonable to add YAML and JSON C library
> bindings to the Emacs core without waiting for FFI capabilities.

I'd welcome such interfaces, but indeed, it'd have to go through an FFI.
This said, "waiting for FFI capabilities" is probably not a winning
suggestion, since if everybody does it, it won't ever arrive.

* Re: question about YAML and JSON library bindings
@ 2014-09-23 15:42   ` raman
From: raman @ 2014-09-23 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Personally, having libxml integrated into Emacs has been a major win --
it made shr and eww possible; I'd  love to see native json and yaml
support
arrive for the same reason -- json even more than yaml.

@ 2014-09-23 21:36     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-09-23 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Personally, having libxml integrated into Emacs has been a major win --
> it made shr and eww possible; I'd  love to see native json and yaml
> support
> arrive for the same reason -- json even more than yaml.

I'd also love such bindings.  That's why we need an FFI.

* Re: question about YAML and JSON library bindings
@ 2014-09-23 21:48       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2014-09-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, raman

:-) No argument re needing an FFI. But as a selfish end-user, I
dont  mind how we get that binding:-)
By the way, Emacspeak turned 20 last week --- I wrote up a short
history ---  Thanks again to everyone in the Emacs community  for
 making it possible  to live ones computing life in emacs --- without that
 fact, Emacspeak would  not   be very useful:-)

http://emacspeak.blogspot.com/2014/09/emacspeak-at-twenty-looking-back.html

@ 2014-09-24 14:22   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-09-24 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:04:58 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> I couldn't find anything except
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-01/msg00307.html so
>> I wanted to ask if it would be reasonable to add YAML and JSON C library
>> bindings to the Emacs core without waiting for FFI capabilities.

SM> I'd welcome such interfaces, but indeed, it'd have to go through an FFI.
SM> This said, "waiting for FFI capabilities" is probably not a winning
SM> suggestion, since if everybody does it, it won't ever arrive.

I followed up to Aurélien Aptel's message about dynamic loading here. It
seems like our best direction for this work.

Ted