* Re: master 1ebe160: Warn about XFT and about Cairo without HarfBuzz
       [not found] ` <20200124094714.6901E21148@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2020-01-24 10:01   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-01-24 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Robert Pluim

rpluim@gmail.com (Robert Pluim) writes:

> +if test "${HAVE_CAIRO}" = "yes" && test "${HAVE_HARFBUZZ}" = no; then
> +   AC_MSG_WARN([This configuration uses Cairo, but not HarfBuzz.  We
> +    recommend the use of HarfBuzz when using Cairo, please install
> +    HarfBuzz development packages.])
> +fi

I would assume that most people casually building Emacs would have no
idea what either Cairo or HarfBuzz is.  Perhaps it would be helpful to
say something like "uses the Cairo graphics library, but without the
HarfBuzz font rendering library"?

* Re: master 1ebe160: Warn about XFT and about Cairo without HarfBuzz
@ 2020-01-24 10:06     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-24 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Lars> rpluim@gmail.com (Robert Pluim) writes:
    >> +if test "${HAVE_CAIRO}" = "yes" && test "${HAVE_HARFBUZZ}" = no; then
    >> +   AC_MSG_WARN([This configuration uses Cairo, but not HarfBuzz.  We
    >> +    recommend the use of HarfBuzz when using Cairo, please install
    >> +    HarfBuzz development packages.])
    >> +fi

    Lars> I would assume that most people casually building Emacs would have no
    Lars> idea what either Cairo or HarfBuzz is.  Perhaps it would be helpful to
    Lars> say something like "uses the Cairo graphics library, but without the
    Lars> HarfBuzz font rendering library"?

'Casually building Emacs'? Is that possible? :-)

If they're doing it casually, would explaining Cairo and HarfBuzz
help?

Robert

* Re: master 1ebe160: Warn about XFT and about Cairo without HarfBuzz
@ 2020-01-24 10:49       ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2020-01-24 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jan 24 2020, Robert Pluim wrote:

>     Lars> rpluim@gmail.com (Robert Pluim) writes:
>     >> +if test "${HAVE_CAIRO}" = "yes" && test
>     >> "${HAVE_HARFBUZZ}" = no; then
>     >> +   AC_MSG_WARN([This configuration uses Cairo, but not
>     >> HarfBuzz.  We
>     >> +    recommend the use of HarfBuzz when using Cairo,
>     >> please install
>     >> +    HarfBuzz development packages.])
>     >> +fi
>
>     Lars> I would assume that most people casually building
>     Emacs would have no
>     Lars> idea what either Cairo or HarfBuzz is.  Perhaps it
>     would be helpful to
>     Lars> say something like "uses the Cairo graphics library,
>     but without the
>     Lars> HarfBuzz font rendering library"?
>
> 'Casually building Emacs'? Is that possible? :-)
>
> If they're doing it casually, would explaining Cairo and
> HarfBuzz
> help?

I would consider myself a casual builder of Emacs. :-) On one
machine, I compile and install Emacs from source. Not to stay up
to date with development but just to have the latest Emacs
release. (When I first installed that machine, there were no
pre-built packages of a recent Emacs available.)

And yes, I think if I'd run into this problem, I'd appreciate the
extra information. I mean, of course I would google "Cairo" and
"HarfBuzz", but knowing what I'm looking for would make fixing the
problem easier.

Just my €0.02.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: master 1ebe160: Warn about XFT and about Cairo without HarfBuzz
@ 2020-01-24 12:47         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-24 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Joost> And yes, I think if I'd run into this problem, I'd appreciate the
    Joost> extra information. I mean, of course I would google "Cairo" and
    Joost> "HarfBuzz", but knowing what I'm looking for would make fixing the
    Joost> problem easier.

    Joost> Just my €0.02.

My fees are considerably higher than that, but this one Iʼll do for
free. Done in master.

Robert

* Re: master 1ebe160: Warn about XFT and about Cairo without HarfBuzz
@ 2020-01-24 15:37       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-01-24 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> 'Casually building Emacs'? Is that possible? :-)

Sure.  Building Emacs is super-easy, and lots of people not involved
with development does it.

> If they're doing it casually, would explaining Cairo and HarfBuzz
> help?

Yes.  :-)