* Auto-revert/notify behavior changed?
@ 2022-05-18 21:16 Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2022-05-18 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm using auto-revert-mode for a few specific files (the mode is enabled
via dir-locals.el).

A few months ago the files were reverted pretty much instantaneously
when changes occurred on disk, as expected.

This doesn't seem to be the case in the current master anymore despite
me not changing or seeing anything related in the latest changes in
autorevert.el.

Setting a shorter auto-revert-interval seems to work, which (I guess)
notifications are not working as expected, despite these buffers being
associated to boring regular files.

I double-checked my config, and emacs is always built with notification
support (inotify).

I'm not sure where to start looking...

* Re: Auto-revert/notify behavior changed?
@ 2022-05-19  5:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-19  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri D'Elia; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org>
> Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 23:16:42 +0200
>
> I'm using auto-revert-mode for a few specific files (the mode is enabled
> via dir-locals.el).
>
> A few months ago the files were reverted pretty much instantaneously
> when changes occurred on disk, as expected.
>
> This doesn't seem to be the case in the current master anymore despite
> me not changing or seeing anything related in the latest changes in
> autorevert.el.

Can you be a bit more quantitative here?  What is the auto-revert
delays you see now, and what were they before?

> Setting a shorter auto-revert-interval seems to work, which (I guess)
> notifications are not working as expected, despite these buffers being
> associated to boring regular files.

So if you set auto-revert-avoid-polling to nil, files aren't
auto-reverted at all?

It is easy to check whether notifications work: e.g., use the test
suite.

> I double-checked my config, and emacs is always built with notification
> support (inotify).
>
> I'm not sure where to start looking...

Could it be that something in your system changed, something related
to inotify?

* Re: Auto-revert/notify behavior changed?
@ 2022-05-19  7:20   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-05-19  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri D'Elia; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Yuri,

> It is easy to check whether notifications work: e.g., use the test
> suite.

Setting file-notify-debug to a non-nil value shows you debug messages.
And there's also auto-revert-debug.

Best regards, Michael.