* Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
       [not found]             ` <v9u12oko79.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2004-02-15  0:03               ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-02-15  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
> If we need a branch, shouldn't it be in _Emacs_ CVS to test the
> integration (e.g. check that new files have to be added to CVS, ...)?
> I wonder how the merge has been done last time.  I'd like to help with
> it, but probably it would make more sense if someone with write access
> to Emacs CVS does the first (big) step.

Instead of CVS, you could use tla (aka `arch') and my emacs arch branch,
which is synchronized with the emacs CVS trunk.

tla allows (painlessly) distributed repositories, and generally uses a
`pull' model, so write access to a central repository isn't necessary.
It is also much better at merging than CVS.

***
One part of this is that I've added `taglines' to all the emacs source
files (in CVS), which make it easy to assign a unique identity to each
file (even if the name changes).

If you'd accept a patch against Gnus CVS to add taglines, this would
make future merging using tla easier.

This is slightly trickier than with a new project, because Gnus and
Emacs conceptually _share_ files (even though the actual contents may
vary), so it would be best to use the _same_ tagline for the same file
in both Gnus and Emacs.

An example of a tagline is something like `lisp/gnus/gnus-art.el' from
the emacs source tree:

   (run-hooks 'gnus-art-load-hook)

   ;;; arch-tag: 2654516f-6279-48f9-a83b-05c1fa450c33
   ;;; gnus-art.el ends here

> Maybe we should shift (or cross-post) this discussion to emacs-devel?

Couldn't hurt... [note CC: :-]

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]

* Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
@ 2004-02-15  0:18                 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-02-15  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
> Instead of CVS, you could use tla (aka `arch') and my emacs arch branch,
> which is synchronized with the emacs CVS trunk.

Oh, BTW, for anyone who already uses tla the branch is:

   miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004/emacs--cvs-trunk--0

The archive `miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004' is available at:

   http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004

The archive is signed with my GPG keys:

[-- Attachment #2: GPG keys for miles@gnu.org --]

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.

* Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
@ 2004-04-14 20:24                 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-04-14 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Miles Bader, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

On Sun, Feb 15 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>> If we need a branch, shouldn't it be in _Emacs_ CVS to test the
>> integration (e.g. check that new files have to be added to CVS, ...)?
>> I wonder how the merge has been done last time.  I'd like to help with
>> it, but probably it would make more sense if someone with write access
>> to Emacs CVS does the first (big) step.
>
> Instead of CVS, you could use tla (aka `arch') and my emacs arch branch,
> which is synchronized with the emacs CVS trunk.
>
> tla allows (painlessly) distributed repositories, and generally uses a
> `pull' model, so write access to a central repository isn't necessary.
> It is also much better at merging than CVS.

Do I understand you correctly that if I managed to merge Gnus into an
arch archive of Emacs, you would sync the archive to Emacs CVS trunk?

I've never used tla before.  I installed it now and will read some
introductory documentation soon (from wiki.gnuarch.org).  It would be
very helpful for me if you could give me a brief (or even better: not
so brief ;-)) description of the necessary steps.

> One part of this is that I've added `taglines' to all the emacs source
> files (in CVS), which make it easy to assign a unique identity to each
> file (even if the name changes).
>
> If you'd accept a patch against Gnus CVS to add taglines, this would
> make future merging using tla easier.

I cannot speak for Lars, but I don't think he would refuse.  Lars?
(If Lars agrees on this, I can commit your patches to Gnus CVS).

> This is slightly trickier than with a new project, because Gnus and
> Emacs conceptually _share_ files (even though the actual contents may
> vary), so it would be best to use the _same_ tagline for the same file
> in both Gnus and Emacs.

Apart from the trunk, we have a branch "v5-10" for the 5.10 series.
Probably they should be added in both branches?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
@ 2004-04-15  0:37                   ` Miles Bader
       [not found]                     ` <v9brltcahe.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-04-15  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
> > Instead of CVS, you could use tla (aka `arch') and my emacs arch branch,
> > which is synchronized with the emacs CVS trunk.
> >
> > tla allows (painlessly) distributed repositories, and generally uses a
> > `pull' model, so write access to a central repository isn't necessary.
> > It is also much better at merging than CVS.
>
> Do I understand you correctly that if I managed to merge Gnus into an
> arch archive of Emacs, you would sync the archive to Emacs CVS trunk?

Well, technically I can do it -- of course I'd have to establish that it's
OK with the maintainers; if it's agreed that you're an authoritative source
for Gnus changes in the emacs tree, then it should be very easy to do this
in the future.

> I've never used tla before.  I installed it now and will read some
> introductory documentation soon (from wiki.gnuarch.org).  It would be
> very helpful for me if you could give me a brief (or even better: not
> so brief ;-)) description of the necessary steps.

Er, it depends on what you want to do.  For simply getting a tree, it's
pretty easy.  Here's some steps to do so from scratch (including some
optional setup that should make things work better):

##### Once-only first-time setup commands:

   tla my-id ...

# For efficiency, it's also recommended to establish a `revision library'
# on the local hard disk; this can speed up operation quit a bit

   mkdir -p /usr/local/arch/revlib
   tla my-revision-library /usr/local/arch/revlib
   tla library-config --greedy --sparse /usr/local/arch/revlib

# To verify signed archives, you probably want to do this:

   mkdir -p ~/.arch-params/signing
   echo 'gpg --verify-files -' > ~/.arch-params/signing/=default.check

   # [make sure you have keys for anyone you're interested in -- my keys
   #  are available at pgp.mit.edu as "miles@gnu.org"]

##### Once for any new archive you use:

# You need to do this once for any new archive you use:

   tla register-archive http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004

##### Regular commands:

# Checkout emacs into a directory called `/usr/local/src/emacs':

   cd /usr/local/src
   tla get emacs--cvs-trunk--0 emacs

# ... eventually, if you want to update your check-out to the latest version:

   cd /usr/local/src/emacs
   tla update

[For doing development using arch, you need more commands of course.]

For getting a more detailed view of how arch works, the `arch tutorial' is
very good (I think there should be an obvious pointer on the wiki?).

> > If you'd accept a patch against Gnus CVS to add taglines, this would
> > make future merging using tla easier.
>
> I cannot speak for Lars, but I don't think he would refuse.  Lars?
> (If Lars agrees on this, I can commit your patches to Gnus CVS).
>
> > This is slightly trickier than with a new project, because Gnus and
> > Emacs conceptually _share_ files (even though the actual contents may
> > vary), so it would be best to use the _same_ tagline for the same file
> > in both Gnus and Emacs.
>
> Apart from the trunk, we have a branch "v5-10" for the 5.10 series.
> Probably they should be added in both branches?

What might be easiest is for you to merge the Gnus changes from the
emacs tree back into the canonical Gnus sources (including the branch).
As the emacs Gnus files all have had taglines added, this will have the
effect of adding them to the Gnus sources too.

Any file not shared with emacs will also need to have taglines added, but
that's easy to do; I'm mainly concerned that the common files end up with
the same taglines in the Gnus and Emacs trees.

At that point, I'd like to make arch branches for Gnus, synchronized with Gnus
CVS (just one-way of course -- unless you want to give me write access :-),
probably a few, e.g., `gnus--cvs-trunk--0', and `gnus--rel--5.10'.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
 ___
(^o^;

* Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
       [not found]                         ` <v9pta3wyrx.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2004-04-19 22:23                           ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-04-19 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

[I've re-added emacs-devel to the CC: list (I hope that's OK!): For anyone
 reading this there, the topic is that Reiner can bootstrap a CVS checkout,
 but not an arch checkout.  This seems some how related to vc-arch.el and
 long pathnames?  I can bootstrap an arch checkout if I make sure that
 vc-arch.el is byte-compiled, but he can't.]

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:30:58PM +0200, Reiner Steib wrote:
> > but are you _sure_ the CVS checkout actually bootstraps correctly?
> > The arch tree is pretty much the same as the CVS tree, so it's a bit
> > mystifying that one would work and the other not.
>
> But it's not exactly synced (some *.el files differ slightly; nothing
> relevant IMHO, but not only CVS keyword expansion).

Well obviously they aren't guaranteed to be exactly synced at every moment of
the day, but ignoring the time delay (the sync happens usually a few times
per day) they should be exactly the same, with the following exceptions:

  (1) RCS keywords are not expanded in the arch branch

  (2) The arch branch has some .arch-inventory files that aren't in CVS
      (actually there's currently only one, in the nt/ subdirectory)

  (3) A CVS checkout has a bunch of empty directories which as far as I can
      tell are inconsequential (but annoying in the CVS tree), and mostly
      artifacts of the fact that CVS doesn't really understand directories.

      [Historically, the empty `info/' dir did cause some problems in the arch
      branch, but that was fixed in the Makefile a long time ago.]

If you're seeing differences in .el files that aren't related to RCS keyword
expansion, then there's probably something wrong (so please send details).

> > before doing make bootstrap in the EMACS-CVS tree.
>
> Done in EMACS-CVS tree (without doing "cvs update"): Still bootstraps
> fine.  I still cannot checkout a fresh copy of CVS-Emacs, I can only
> update my current tree.

Hmmm.  Given that the problem I observed was related to `vc-arch.el', maybe
the problem is that vc-arch is somehow getting invoked since the arch
checkout is obviously an arch tree, and there's a bug in vc-arch.

I'd think that the byte-compiler shouldn't trigger the VC machinery at all,
but maybe it does, and nobody noticed it before.

> > BTW, I think I found a work-around for the bootstrapping problem: make
> > sure vc-arch.el is compiled first, e.g., do:
> >
> >    src/bootstrap-emacs -batch -f byte-compile-file lisp/vc-arch.el
> >
> > and then try a `make bootstrap' again.
> >
> > I'm not yet sure what the cause of the problem is though.
>
> Didn't work for me, because my
> --prefix=/import/xtra/emacs/Gnus_5_11_arch doesn't exist yet.

Hmmm, it should work (I think) -- the emacs being run is not the installed
emacs, but src/bootstrap-emacs, and it should be getting its lisp files from
../lisp.

BTW, are you building in the source tree, or using a separate build dir?
I always do the latter (so in fact, I think the command I posted above is
slightly wrong -- I used full paths for both src/bootstrap-emacs and
lisp/vc-arch.el, which is important in this case, as they are actually in
different trees).

Thanks,

-Miles

Remaining text of Reiner's message, for emacs-devel readers:

--
We have met the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo

* Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
@ 2004-04-20 12:17                             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-04-20 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 20 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

> [I've re-added emacs-devel to the CC: list (I hope that's OK!): [...]]

No problem.

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:30:58PM +0200, Reiner Steib wrote:
>> > but are you _sure_ the CVS checkout actually bootstraps correctly?
>> > The arch tree is pretty much the same as the CVS tree, so it's a bit
>> > mystifying that one would work and the other not.
>>
>> But it's not exactly synced (some *.el files differ slightly; nothing
>> relevant IMHO, but not only CVS keyword expansion).
>
> Well obviously they aren't guaranteed to be exactly synced at every moment of
> the day, but ignoring the time delay (the sync happens usually a few times
> per day) they should be exactly the same, with the following exceptions:
[...]
> If you're seeing differences in .el files that aren't related to RCS keyword
> expansion, then there's probably something wrong (so please send details).

I've updated both trees some minutes ago.  All differences are due to
RCS keyword expansion and some delay in the synchronization, AFAICS.
(Here are the diffs, in case you want to check:
http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/cvs-vs-arch.diff.gz;
I only checked for *.el, *.[ch] and ChangeLog files.)

>> >    src/bootstrap-emacs -batch -f byte-compile-file lisp/vc-arch.el
[...]
>> Didn't work for me, because my
>> --prefix=/import/xtra/emacs/Gnus_5_11_arch doesn't exist yet.
>
> Hmmm, it should work (I think) -- the emacs being run is not the installed
> emacs, but src/bootstrap-emacs, and it should be getting its lisp files from
> ../lisp.

>From a discussion in emacs-pretest-bug (approx. two weeks ago) I
recall that this is not the case:
  <URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/2634>,
  Subject: Use of system lisp when running freshly built emacs "in place".

> BTW, are you building in the source tree, or using a separate build dir?

I always build in the Emacs source directory.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
@ 2004-04-21  5:39                               ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-04-21  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > Didn't work for me, because my
> > > --prefix=/import/xtra/emacs/Gnus_5_11_arch doesn't exist yet.
> >
> > Hmmm, it should work (I think) -- the emacs being run is not the installed
> > emacs, but src/bootstrap-emacs, and it should be getting its lisp files from
> > ../lisp.
>
> From a discussion in emacs-pretest-bug (approx. two weeks ago) I
> recall that this is not the case:
>   Subject: Use of system lisp when running freshly built emacs "in place".
>
> > BTW, are you building in the source tree, or using a separate build dir?
>
> I always build in the Emacs source directory.

I tried building from a fresh arch checkout, in the source-dir,
with a non-standard (and non-existant) --prefix:

   $ cd /usr/local/emacs
   $ tla get emacs--cvs-trunk--0 test
   $ cd test
   $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-test

   $ make bootstrap
        ...  (fails as before, trying to compile eshell/esh-module.el)

   $ src/bootstrap-emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile lisp/vc-arch.el

   In end of data:
   vc-arch.el:421:1:Warning: the function `vc-switches' might not be defined at
       runtime.
   Wrote /usr/local/src/emacs/test/lisp/vc-arch.elc

   $ make -C lisp bootstrap EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs
       ...   (all lisp files now successfully compile)

   $ make
       ...   (emacs finishes compiling correctly)

I'm not sure what's going on with your builds; maybe it's the long
pathnames, or your OS?  I'm using debian unstable on a 386 machine.

When you said that the line compiling vc-arch.el failed, what was the
error message?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein

* bootstrap oddities: cvs vs. arch? Long pathnames? (was: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS)
@ 2004-04-21 14:00                                 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-04-21 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 21 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

> I tried building from a fresh arch checkout, in the source-dir,
> with a non-standard (and non-existant) --prefix:
>
>    $ cd /usr/local/emacs

I used /var/tmp/ste here.

>    $ tla get emacs--cvs-trunk--0 test
>    $ cd test
>    $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-test
>
>    $ make bootstrap
>         ...  (fails as before, trying to compile eshell/esh-module.el)

Bootstrap succeeds here.

Now a checked out a second fresh arch tree using a long pathname
(/var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test).

Bootstrap fails at the same spot as previously:

(cd lisp; make  bootstrap EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs)
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp'
wd=/var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp; subdirs=`(cd $wd; find . -type d -print)`; for file in $subdirs; do case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* | */.* | */.*/* | */=* ) ;; *) wins="$wins $wd/$file" ;; esac; done; \
for file in $wins; do \
   /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/../update-subdirs $file; \
done;
wd=/var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp; subdirs=`(cd $wd; find . -type d -print)`; for file in $subdirs; do case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* | */.* | */.*/* | */=* ) ;; *) wins="$wins $wd/$file" ;; esac; done; \
echo Directories: $wins; \
../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "/var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads $wins
Directories: /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/. /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./calc /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./calendar /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./emacs-lisp /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./emulation /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./eshell /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./gnus /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./international /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./language /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./mail /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./mh-e /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./net /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./obsolete /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./play /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./progmodes /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./term /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./textmodes /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./toolbar /var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp/./url
Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth
make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test/lisp'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
SOFT@lumberjack:/var/tmp/ste/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch/HEAD/test$

>    $ src/bootstrap-emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile
>    lisp/vc-arch.el
>
>    In end of data:
>    vc-arch.el:421:1:Warning: the function `vc-switches' might not be defined at
>        runtime.
>    Wrote /usr/local/src/emacs/test/lisp/vc-arch.elc

Works.

>    $ make -C lisp bootstrap EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs
>        ...   (all lisp files now successfully compile)

Fails with same "Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth" as above.

As mentioned in previous mails, the same error can be triggered by
with the following command:

,----
| $ (cd lisp; ../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file \
|    --multibyte -l lisp-mode NON-EXISTENT-FILE)
| Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth
`----

I.e. there might be some bug in lisp-mode.

>    $ make
>        ...   (emacs finishes compiling correctly)
>
> I'm not sure what's going on with your builds; maybe it's the long
> pathnames,

It is most probably triggered by the long pathnames, I think.

> or your OS?  I'm using debian unstable on a 386 machine.

I'm using SuSE 8.2 (incl. all recommended security updates) on an AMD
Athlon.

,----
`----

> When you said that the line compiling vc-arch.el failed, what was the
> error message?

Sorry, I don't have this message around anymore (and cannot reproduce
it anymore).  It was something related to failed loading of some lisp
files from "/import/xtra/emacs/Gnus_5_11_arch/share/emacs/..." (where
"/import/xtra/emacs/Gnus_5_11_arch" was my --prefix argument for
configure).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: bootstrap oddities: cvs vs. arch? Long pathnames?
@ 2004-04-21 16:48                                   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-04-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 21 2004, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21 2004, Miles Bader wrote:
[...]
>> I'm not sure what's going on with your builds; maybe it's the long
>> pathnames, or your OS?  I'm using debian unstable on a 386 machine.
>
> I'm using SuSE 8.2 (incl. all recommended security updates) on an AMD
> Athlon.

I got same behavior (success in /var/tmp/ste/test; failure with "Lisp
nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth" in the directory with long
pathname on two additional machines (with the same source tree).  One
with SuSE 8.2 as above (Dual Pentium III machine), the other with SuSE
7.2 (Pentium 4).

bootstrap also fails when in /var/tmp/ste/abcefghijk/test, but with a
different error location:

Wrote /var/tmp/ste/abcefghijk/test/lisp/eshell/esh-mode.elc
Compiling /var/tmp/ste/abcefghijk/test/lisp/./eshell/esh-module.el

In toplevel form:
eshell/esh-module.el:29:13:Error: Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth
make[1]: *** [compile] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/ste/abcefghijk/test/lisp'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Ah, this is the same failure as you described (in

After...

  $ src/bootstrap-emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile lisp/vc-arch.el

..., "make bootstrap" works (and the resulting src/emacs works).
Exactly as in your case with /usr/local/emacs/test.  I.e. the error
location seems to depend on the pathname of the build directory.  Odd.

Any ideas?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2004-04-26 18:08                                     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-04-26 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 21 2004, Reiner Steib wrote:

[ "make bootstrap" fails when built from an arch (not cvs) checkout if
  pathname is longer than a certain limit. ]

> I got same behavior (success in /var/tmp/ste/test; failure with "Lisp
> nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth" in the directory with long
> pathname on two additional machines (with the same source tree).  One
> with SuSE 8.2 as above (Dual Pentium III machine), the other with SuSE
> 7.2 (Pentium 4).
>
> bootstrap also fails when in /var/tmp/ste/abcefghijk/test, but with a
> different error location:
[...]

Now checked out a fresh tree from cvs.  It bootstrapped successfully.
Then in the arch tree: failed with "Lisp nesting exceeds
max-lisp-eval-depth" as before.

Then I renamed '{arch}' to '.arch' (mv '{arch}' .arch).  After this,
"make bootstrap" ran successfully in with the sources from the arch
repository.  Therefore, I think the guess from your previous mail
probably is correct:

,----[ <news:20040419222303.GA14432@fencepost> ]
| I'd think that the byte-compiler shouldn't trigger the VC machinery
| at all, but maybe it does, and nobody noticed it before.
`----

Do your compile problems disappear too after renaming the {arch}
directory?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2004-04-27 16:29                                       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-04-27 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

      Therefore, I think the guess from your previous mail
    probably is correct:

    ,----[ <news:20040419222303.GA14432@fencepost> ]
    | I'd think that the byte-compiler shouldn't trigger the VC machinery
    | at all, but maybe it does, and nobody noticed it before.
    `----

Which VC machinery does the byte-compiler invoke?

* Re: bootstrap oddities: cvs vs. arch? Long pathnames?
@ 2004-04-27 18:03                                         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-04-27 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, Miles Bader

On Tue, Apr 27 2004, Richard Stallman wrote:

>       Therefore, I think the guess from your previous mail
>     probably is correct:
>
>     ,----[ <news:20040419222303.GA14432@fencepost> ]
>     | I'd think that the byte-compiler shouldn't trigger the VC machinery
>     | at all, but maybe it does, and nobody noticed it before.
>     `----
>
> Which VC machinery does the byte-compiler invoke?

Miles Bader reported bootstrap problems using his arch repository.
Bootstrapping worked when he made sure that `vc-arch.el' is compiled
first:

,----[ <news:87wu4ecd9o.fsf@tc-1-100.kawasaki.gol.ne.jp> ]
| Subject: Re: batch-bytecomp backtrace?
| Date: 18 Apr 2004 09:58:59 +0900
| [...]
|
| BTW, the bootstrapping problem I'm having seems somehow related to
| `vc-arch.el' -- the file that won't compile _does_ compile if I make
| sure `vc-arch.el' has been compiled first:
`----

My bootstrap problems (also using Miles' arch repository) went away
when I renamed the ./{arch} directory (or when I did a "chmod u-rX
./{arch}") before "make bootstrap".  (The `{arch}' directory is
comparable to the `CVS' directories in CVS.)

,----[ <news:20040419222303.GA14432@fencepost> ]
| Subject: Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
| Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:23:03 -0400
| [...]
|
| Given that the problem I observed was related to `vc-arch.el', maybe
| the problem is that vc-arch is somehow getting invoked since the arch
| checkout is obviously an arch tree, and there's a bug in vc-arch.
|
| I'd think that the byte-compiler shouldn't trigger the VC machinery at all,
| but maybe it does, and nobody noticed it before.
`----

Something triggers loading of `vc-arch.el' during the bootstrap process.
But not even the byte-compiler has to be called.  Even the following
command fails:

,----
| $ (cd lisp; ../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file NON-EXISTENT-FILE)
| Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth
`----

To avoid loading `vc-arch.el', I added `--eval "(provide 'vc-arch)"'
to the command line.  Maybe this helps to trace down, why `vc-arch.el'
is loaded:

$ (cd lisp; ../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file \
  --eval '(setq debug-on-error t byte-compile-debug t)' \
  --eval "(provide 'vc-arch)" NON-EXISTENT-FILE)

I get the following backtrace (with an empty file instead of a
non-existent, I get the same backtrace):

  (progn (let (...) (cond ... ... ...)))
  (if (stringp file) (progn (let ... ...)))
  (when (stringp file) (let (...) (cond ... ... ...)))
  vc-backend("/home/dept/ste/src/links/emacs/arch-HEAD/emacs/lisp/NON-EXISTENT-FILE")
  (let ((backend ...)) (if backend (vc-call-backend backend ...)))
  vc-file-not-found-hook()
  run-hook-with-args-until-success(vc-file-not-found-hook)
  (or (run-hook-with-args-until-success (quote find-file-not-found-functions)) (setq error t))
  (condition-case nil (insert-file-contents filename t) (file-error (when ... ... ...) (or ... ...)))
  (if rawfile (condition-case nil (insert-file-contents-literally filename t) (file-error ... ...)) (condition-case nil (insert-file-contents filename t) (file-error ... ...)))
  (save-current-buffer (set-buffer buf) (kill-local-variable (quote find-file-literally)) (kill-local-variable (quote buffer-file-coding-system)) (kill-local-variable (quote cursor-type)) (erase-buffer) (and (default-value ...) (not rawfile) (set-buffer-multibyte t)) (if rawfile (condition-case nil ... ...) (condition-case nil ... ...)) (if (equal filename buffer-file-name) (setq buffer-file-truename truename) (setq buffer-file-truename ...)) (setq buffer-file-number number) (and (eq system-type ...) (let ... ... ...) (setq buffer-file-name buffer-file-truename)) (if find-file-visit-truename (setq buffer-file-name ...)) (setq default-directory (file-name-directory buffer-file-name)) (and (not ...) (progn ... ...)) (if rawfile (progn ... ... ... ...) (after-find-file error ...)) (current-buffer))
  (with-current-buffer buf (kill-local-variable (quote find-file-literally)) (kill-local-variable (quote buffer-file-coding-system)) (kill-local-variable (quote cursor-type)) (erase-buffer) (and (default-value ...) (not rawfile) (set-buffer-multibyte t)) (if rawfile (condition-case nil ... ...) (condition-case nil ... ...)) (if (equal filename buffer-file-name) (setq buffer-file-truename truename) (setq buffer-file-truename ...)) (setq buffer-file-number number) (and (eq system-type ...) (let ... ... ...) (setq buffer-file-name buffer-file-truename)) (if find-file-visit-truename (setq buffer-file-name ...)) (setq default-directory (file-name-directory buffer-file-name)) (and (not ...) (progn ... ...)) (if rawfile (progn ... ... ... ...) (after-find-file error ...)) (current-buffer))
  (let ((inhibit-read-only t) error) (with-current-buffer buf (kill-local-variable ...) (kill-local-variable ...) (kill-local-variable ...) (erase-buffer) (and ... ... ...) (if rawfile ... ...) (if ... ... ...) (setq buffer-file-number number) (and ... ... ...) (if find-file-visit-truename ...) (setq default-directory ...) (and ... ...) (if rawfile ... ...) (current-buffer)))
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer NON-EXISTENT-FILE> "~/src/links/emacs/arch-HEAD/emacs/lisp/NON-EXISTENT-FILE" nil nil "/import/Archive/8.2-RPM-Groups/Productivity/Editors/Emacs/emacs/arch-HEAD/emacs/lisp/NON-EXISTENT-FILE" nil)
  (if buf (progn (or nowarn ... ...) (with-current-buffer buf ... ...) buf) (setq buf (create-file-buffer filename)) (set-buffer-major-mode buf) (find-file-noselect-1 buf filename nowarn rawfile truename number))
  (let* ((buf ...) (truename ...) (attributes ...) (number ...) (other ...)) (if other (progn ... ...)) (when (and large-file-warning-threshold ... ... ... ...) (error "Aborted")) (if buf (progn ... ... buf) (setq buf ...) (set-buffer-major-mode buf) (find-file-noselect-1 buf filename nowarn rawfile truename number)))
  (if (and wildcards find-file-wildcards (not ...) (string-match "[[*?]" filename)) (let (... ...) (if ... ... ...)) (let* (... ... ... ... ...) (if other ...) (when ... ...) (if buf ... ... ... ...)))
  (if (file-directory-p filename) (or (and find-file-run-dired ...) (error "%s is a directory" filename)) (if (and wildcards find-file-wildcards ... ...) (let ... ...) (let* ... ... ... ...)))
  find-file-noselect("/home/dept/ste/src/links/emacs/arch-HEAD/emacs/lisp/NON-EXISTENT-FILE" nil nil nil)
  (let ((value ...)) (if (listp value) (mapcar ... ...) (switch-to-buffer value)))
  find-file("/home/dept/ste/src/links/emacs/arch-HEAD/emacs/lisp/NON-EXISTENT-FILE")
  (setq first-file-buffer (find-file file))
  (if (= file-count 1) (setq first-file-buffer (find-file file)) (find-file-other-window file))
  (let ((file ...)) (if (= file-count 1) (setq first-file-buffer ...) (find-file-other-window file)))
  (progn (if (string-match "\\`-" argi) (error "Unknown option `%s'" argi)) (setq file-count (1+ file-count)) (let (...) (if ... ... ...)) (or (zerop line) (goto-line line)) (setq line 0) (unless (< column 1) (move-to-column ...)) (setq column 0))
  (if (not did-hook) (progn (if ... ...) (setq file-count ...) (let ... ...) (or ... ...) (setq line 0) (unless ... ...) (setq column 0)))
  (let ((hooks command-line-functions) (did-hook nil)) (while (and hooks ...) (setq hooks ...)) (if (not did-hook) (progn ... ... ... ... ... ... ...)))
  (cond ((setq tem ...) (if argval ... ...)) ((equal argi "-no-splash") (setq inhibit-startup-message t)) ((member argi ...) (setq tem ...) (if ... ... ...)) ((member argi ...) (eval ...)) ((member argi ...) (setq tem ...) (push ... extra-load-path)) ((member argi ...) (let* ... ... ...)) ((equal argi "-insert") (setq tem ...) (or ... ...) (insert-file-contents ...)) ((equal argi "-kill") (kill-emacs t)) ((string-match "^\\+[0-9]+\\'" argi) (setq line ...)) ((string-match "^\\+\\([0-9]+\\):\\([0-9]+\\)\\'" argi) (setq line ... column ...)) ((setq tem ...) (setq command-line-args-left ...)) ((member argi ...) (setq tem ...) (unless ... ...) (setq file-count ...) (let ... ...) (or ... ...) (setq line 0) (unless ... ...) (setq column 0)) ((equal argi "--") (setq just-files t)) (t (let ... ... ...)))
  (let* ((argi ...) (orig-argi argi) argval completion) (setq command-line-args-left (cdr command-line-args-left)) (if just-files (setq argi "") (when ... ...) (if ... ... ...) (if ... ... ...)) (cond (... ...) (... ...) (... ... ...) (... ...) (... ... ...) (... ...) (... ... ... ...) (... ...) (... ...) (... ...) (... ...) (... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...) (... ...) (t ...)))
  (while command-line-args-left (let* (... ... argval completion) (setq command-line-args-left ...) (if just-files ... ... ... ...) (cond ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...)))
  (let ((dir command-line-default-directory) (file-count 0) first-file-buffer tem extra-load-path just-files (longopts ...) (line 0) (column 0)) (dolist (tem command-line-x-option-alist) (if ... ...)) (while command-line-args-left (let* ... ... ... ...)) (when extra-load-path (setq load-path ...)) (and (> file-count 2) (not noninteractive) (not inhibit-startup-buffer-menu) (or ... ...)))
  (progn (let (... ... first-file-buffer tem extra-load-path just-files ... ... ...) (dolist ... ...) (while command-line-args-left ...) (when extra-load-path ...) (and ... ... ... ...)))
  (if command-line-args-left (progn (let ... ... ... ... ...)))
  (when command-line-args-left (let (... ... first-file-buffer tem extra-load-path just-files ... ... ...) (dolist ... ...) (while command-line-args-left ...) (when extra-load-path ...) (and ... ... ... ...)))
  command-line-1(("--eval" "(setq debug-on-error t byte-compile-debug t)" "--eval" "(provide 'vc-arch)" "NON-EXISTENT-FILE"))
  command-line()
  (unwind-protect (command-line) (setq default-directory (abbreviate-file-name default-directory)) (or auto-save-list-file-name (and auto-save-list-file-prefix ...)) (unless inhibit-startup-hooks (run-hooks ...) (and term-setup-hook ...)) (when (or frame-initial-frame ...) (if ... ...) (if ... ...)) (if (fboundp ...) (font-menu-add-default)) (and window-setup-hook (run-hooks ...)) (or menubar-bindings-done (if ... ...)))
  (let ((menubar-bindings-done nil)) (unwind-protect (command-line) (setq default-directory ...) (or auto-save-list-file-name ...) (unless inhibit-startup-hooks ... ...) (when ... ... ...) (if ... ...) (and window-setup-hook ...) (or menubar-bindings-done ...)))
  (if command-line-processed (message "Back to top level.") (setq command-line-processed t) (let (...) (save-excursion ... ...)) (put (quote user-full-name) (quote standard-value) (list ...)) (if (equal ... 0) (setq backup-by-copying-when-mismatch t)) (let (... new) (while tail ... ... ... ...)) (if (not ...) (progn ...)) (setq default-directory (abbreviate-file-name default-directory)) (let (...) (unwind-protect ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...)))
  normal-top-level()

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,