* Tip: restoring your CVS access to savannah
@ 2005-12-19 21:16 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-12-19 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Emacs!

I've just struggled through the access changes in savannah.  Despite the
long-windedness of the article on
<http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4168>, all I had to do
to get my access working again was to change my ...../CVS/Root files
from:

    acmacm@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs

to:

    acmacm@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs

           ^^^^

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)

* Re: Tip: restoring your CVS access to savannah
@ 2005-12-19 22:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-19 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:16:31 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> all I had to do to get my access working again was to change my
> ...../CVS/Root files from:
>
>     acmacm@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs
>
> to:
>
>     acmacm@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs
>
>            ^^^^

Yeah, and then get used to the gobbledygook it prints on every
commit...

* Re: Tip: restoring your CVS access to savannah
@ 2005-12-20  8:11   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-12-20  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:16:31 +0000 (GMT)
>> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>>
>> all I had to do to get my access working again was to change my
>> ...../CVS/Root files from:
>>
>>     acmacm@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs
>>
>> to:
>>
>>     acmacm@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs
>>
>>            ^^^^

>Yeah, and then get used to the gobbledygook it prints on every
>commit...

You mean,

    cvs commit: Using deprecated info format strings.  Convert your scripts to
    use the new argument format and remove '1's from your info file format
    strings.

?  It's not a very good warning message.  The verb "using" doesn't have a
subject, and it's difficult to guess.  Does "info" mean info, as in info
pages?  Probably not.  But it's something that's got "format strings" of
one kind or another.  I wonder what "scripts" are meant, because I didn't
use any, having merely typed "cvs commit programs.texi".  I wonder what
"argument" has a new format, and it would be interesting to know what the
old format is too.  "Remove my '1's"?  "From my info file format
strings"?

What was this guy smoking?

--

@ 2005-12-20 20:29     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-20 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:11:00 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
> cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >>     acmacm@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs
> >>
> >>            ^^^^
>
> >Yeah, and then get used to the gobbledygook it prints on every
> >commit...
>
> You mean,
>
>     cvs commit: Using deprecated info format strings.  Convert your scripts to
>     use the new argument format and remove '1's from your info file format
>     strings.
>
> ?

Yes.

> Does "info" mean info, as in info pages?  Probably not.  But it's
> something that's got "format strings" of one kind or another.  I
> wonder what "scripts" are meant, because I didn't use any, having
> merely typed "cvs commit programs.texi".

The scripts in question are scripts used by the CVS server on
savannah, the page that you cited explains that.  The savannah
maintainers said simply to disregard these messages, as they will go
away when they (the maintainers) fix those scripts at some later date.

* Re: Tip: restoring your CVS access to savannah
@ 2005-12-20 21:47     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2005-12-20 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> "Remove my '1's"?  "From my info file format strings"?

Yes, and don't forget to remove all binary '0's too :-)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Tip: restoring your CVS access to savannah
@ 2005-12-20 22:04       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-20 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-cvs, Alan Mackenzie, emacs-devel

> The scripts in question are scripts used by the CVS server on
> savannah, the page that you cited explains that.  The savannah
> maintainers said simply to disregard these messages, as they will go
> away when they (the maintainers) fix those scripts at some later date.

Yes, the real problem is that the CVS authors messed up this message
pretty badly: it should be sent to the cvs-admin, not the cvs-user.  Or (in
case sending it to the cvs-admin is not possible) it should at least use
a different wording that takes into account the fact that it's talking to
a cvs-user and not a cvs-admin.
I can't help but be reminded of the proverbial "unsubscribe" message sent to
thousands of helpless mailing-list members.

* Re: Tip: restoring your CVS access to savannah
@ 2006-01-09 18:31         ` Derek R. Price
From: Derek R. Price @ 2006-01-09 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-cvs, Alan Mackenzie, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>The scripts in question are scripts used by the CVS server on
>>savannah, the page that you cited explains that.  The savannah
>>maintainers said simply to disregard these messages, as they will go
>>away when they (the maintainers) fix those scripts at some later date.
>>

>Yes, the real problem is that the CVS authors messed up this message
>pretty badly: it should be sent to the cvs-admin, not the cvs-user.  Or (in
>case sending it to the cvs-admin is not possible) it should at least use
>a different wording that takes into account the fact that it's talking to
>a cvs-user and not a cvs-admin.
>I can't help but be reminded of the proverbial "unsubscribe" message sent to
>thousands of helpless mailing-list members.

That particular message was my fault, and perhaps I could have worded it
better, but it was intentionally noisy to encourage admins to upgrade
their scripts to be compatible with the new and more reliable trigger
API.  Perhaps I shouldn't have been quite so draconian, but the fix is
easy:  the admins just need to tweak their scripts to handle the new
loginfo argument format (info about a single file is sent as three
arguments rather than as a single comma delimited argument and filenames
with spaces are now quoted properly), then flip a few switches in their
config files.  If the loginfo script isn't getting revision numbers
anyhow but only filenames (and, IIRC, this is the case with the savannah
loginfo, or at least was several months ago when I looked) then the
config file switches may only need to be thrown (no script changes would
be necessary).

Derek

--
Derek R. Price