* New 'feature/native-comp' configure flag
@ 2021-02-26 19:43 Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions.
From: Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions. @ 2021-02-26 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

this is just to mention that as part of the code review process was
decided to change the configure flag used to configure the native
compiler in the 'feature/native-comp' branch.

As of 42fc752a14 the new configure flag to activate the Elisp native
compilation is '--with-native-compilation'.

Regards

  Andrea

* Re: New 'feature/native-comp' configure flag
@ 2021-02-26 19:57 ` Pip Cet
From: Pip Cet @ 2021-02-26 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Corallo; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 7:44 PM Andrea Corallo via Emacs development
discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> As of 42fc752a14 the new configure flag to activate the Elisp native
> compilation is '--with-native-compilation'.

I still think we should adhere to the GNU Coding Standards
(https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html) in this case and
use --enable- here (native compilation is a feature), not --with-
(there is no external package called "native-compilation" that we
somehow depend on).

Pip

* Re: New 'feature/native-comp' configure flag
@ 2021-02-26 20:17   ` Doug Davis
From: Doug Davis @ 2021-02-26 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pip Cet; +Cc: emacs-devel, Andrea Corallo

Pip Cet <pipcet@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 7:44 PM Andrea Corallo via Emacs development
> discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
>> As of 42fc752a14 the new configure flag to activate the Elisp native
>> compilation is '--with-native-compilation'.
>
> I still think we should adhere to the GNU Coding Standards
> (https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html) in this case and
> use --enable- here (native compilation is a feature), not --with-
> (there is no external package called "native-compilation" that we
> somehow depend on).

libgccjit is an external package the same way libjansson is an external
package (at least right now I don't know of a GNU/Linux distribution
that ships libgccjit with their gcc package. I could be wrong). So the
similarity of

--with-json requiring libjansson (not some package called json)
and
--with-native-comp requiring libgccjit

does make sense to me. Just my 2c.

* Re: New 'feature/native-comp' configure flag
@ 2021-02-26 20:17   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-02-26 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pip Cet; +Cc: emacs-devel, akrl

> From: Pip Cet <pipcet@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 19:57:06 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 7:44 PM Andrea Corallo via Emacs development
> discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> > As of 42fc752a14 the new configure flag to activate the Elisp native
> > compilation is '--with-native-compilation'.
>
> I still think we should adhere to the GNU Coding Standards
> (https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html) in this case and
> use --enable- here (native compilation is a feature), not --with-
> (there is no external package called "native-compilation" that we
> somehow depend on).

The --with-SOMETHING options are not only for external packages.  We
have other similar configure-time options:

  --with-modules
  --with-threads
  --with-native-image-api
  --with-dumping
  --with-wide-int

etc.

* Re: New 'feature/native-comp' configure flag
@ 2021-02-26 20:30     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2021-02-26 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: akrl, Pip Cet, emacs-devel

On Feb 26 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The --with-SOMETHING options are not only for external packages.  We
> have other similar configure-time options:
>
>   --with-modules
>   --with-threads
>   --with-native-image-api
>   --with-dumping
>   --with-wide-int

All those arguably should be --enable, though.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1