* Re: X-Windows cut&paste problems (Japanese characters)
       [not found] ` <7137-Sat27Sep2003134932+0300-eliz@elta.co.il>
@ 2003-09-28 17:12   ` Janusz S. Bień
From: Janusz S. Bień @ 2003-09-28 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 2177 bytes --]

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003  "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote:

> > From: jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (=?iso-8859-2?q?Janusz_S._Bie=F1?=)
> > Date: 25 Sep 2003 18:00:10 +0200
> >
> > I have recently observed several problems concerning cut&paste between
> > Emacs and some applications (Debian unstable, IceWM and GNOME).
>
> The version of your Emacs will be of help, of course ;-)

I've just tested that the problem occurs also in CVS Emacs, so I
cross-post to emacs-devel.

When I paste two kanji characters from Mozilla (Debian package 1.4-4)
to Emacs 21.3.1. from the Debian package or to the CVS version
compiled by myself (21.3.50.1), I get

\x{65E5}\x{672C}

The numbers in braces are the correct Unicode code points of the
characters in question.

I repeated the experiment in a different Debian installation. When I
paste from Galeon 1.2.5 to Emacs 21.2.1 from the Debian package, I get
just 2 question marks. However, when I paste them into exactly the
same CVS version as above, I get two strange characters (displayed as
question signs in reverse video), the first one being reported as "c
with acute":

  character: ć (0346, 230, 0xe6, U+65E5)
    charset: eight-bit-graphic (8-bit graphic char (0xA0..0xFF))
 code point: 230
     syntax:   	which means: whitespace
buffer code: 0xE6
  file code: not encodable by coding system iso-8859-2
       font: -ETL-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--16-160-72-72-C-80-ISO8859-1

Composed with the following character(s) `—¥' to form `æ—¥'.

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t
  untranslated-utf-8   26085
  composition          (0 3
   [326333])

The Unicode code point is correct, but the rest seems a complete mess
:-(.

Las but not least, a good news: the characters are pasted correctly in
unicode-emacs.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW

* Re: X-Windows cut&paste problems (Japanese characters)
@ 2003-09-28 17:43     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-09-28 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emacs development discussions

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 07:12:22PM +0200, Janusz S. Bie? wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003  "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote:
> I've just tested that the problem occurs also in CVS Emacs, so I
> cross-post to emacs-devel.
>
> When I paste two kanji characters from Mozilla (Debian package 1.4-4)
> to Emacs 21.3.1. from the Debian package or to the CVS version
> compiled by myself (21.3.50.1), I get
>
> \x{65E5}\x{672C}
> The Unicode code point is correct, but the rest seems a complete mess

Did you have `utf-translate-cjk-mode' turned on?  (do M-x ...)

Cut-n-past of japanese characters between Mozilla and (CVS) emacs works
perfectly for me if I do that.

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!

* Re: X-Windows cut&paste problems (Japanese characters)
@ 2003-09-29 15:14       ` Janusz S. Bień
From: Janusz S. Bień @ 2003-09-29 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emacs development discussions

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003  Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 07:12:22PM +0200, Janusz S. Bie? wrote:

[...]

> > The Unicode code point is correct, but the rest seems a complete mess

[...]

> Did you have `utf-translate-cjk-mode' turned on?  (do M-x ...)
>
> Cut-n-past of japanese characters between Mozilla and (CVS) emacs works
> perfectly for me if I do that.

Thanks, cut and paste works OK with `utf-translate-cjk-mode' on.

However, with its default value Emacs should behave in a more
reasonable way than that described in my previous posting.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,

@ 2003-09-29 16:09         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-09-29 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emacs development discussions, Miles Bader

Janusz S. Bien' wrote:

> Thanks, cut and paste works OK with `utf-translate-cjk-mode' on.
>
> However, with its default value Emacs should behave in a more
> reasonable way than that described in my previous posting.

I believe it is a TODO item to automatically load the CJK-UTF
translation tables when they are needed. If you have time, you could
have a go at implementing that. Otherwise I find it hard to see what
Emacs could do that is more reasonable than it does now (refuse to paste?).

* Re: X-Windows cut&paste problems (Japanese characters)
@ 2003-09-30  4:50           ` Janusz S. Bień
From: Janusz S. Bień @ 2003-09-30  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs development discussions, Miles Bader

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003  Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> wrote:

[...]

>I find it hard to see what Emacs could do that is more reasonable
>than it does now (refuse to paste?).

IMHO refusing to paste (with some explanatory message) is much better
than inserting rubbish.

Regards

Janusz

--