From: Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se>
Subject: Re: Should killing a help or compile buffer also delete the window?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:50:16 +0200	[thread overview]

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> You shouldn't consider these [temporary] buffers a problem.

You're right, I really shouldn't.  I'm mostly over it these days.
Midnight mode helps, too.

> Finding "the right way" to remove a temporary buffer from the screen
> is a very hard problem.  Nobody has ever proposed a solution that
> really is right all the time, or even nearly all the time.
> View mode has tried to implement one, but it too has problems.

Granted, but I'm not trying to debate "the right way" to remove a
temporary buffer from the screen.  I'm proposing that when a temporary
buffer is killed, TRYING to also remove the associated window might in
itself be the right thing.

The actual algorithm to do this is already in place; it has seen heavy
use by View mode and descendants.  In that case, it's just a matter of
invoking it as a response to `C-x k' as well as to `q' key presses.

(add-hook 'help-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (make-local-hook 'kill-buffer-hook)
            (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'View-leave t t)))

> I don't want to spend time on thinking about it because I think it
> is unlikely to get anywhere.

To be honest, I'm growing less and less confident myself that it would
be the best default behavior.  While many people would definitely find
it convenient, I suspect others would just be confused or annoyed.

--
Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se>