* pgtk copyright headers
       [not found] <8735m9kt01.fsf.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2021-12-31  9:45 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-12-31  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The files in the PGTK port have nonsensical dates in their copyright
headers.

Before update-copyright is run tomorrow (happy new year, by the way), I
think it would be appropriate to fix those dates:

  - pgtkterm.c, pgtkfns.c, and pgtkim.c say they are copyright 1989 to
    2020, while (judging by the VCS history) they should say 2017-2021.

  - pgtkgui.h and pgtkterm.h say they are copyright 2008-2020; they
    should also say 2017-2021.

  - pgtkmenu.c says it is copyright 2019-2020, while it should say
    2019-2021 instead.

  - pgtkselect.c says it is copyright 1993 to 2020, while it should say
    2017-2021.

Is it okay for me to make the necessary corrections now, or are there
some legal issues that have to be taken care of first?

Thanks in advance.

* Re: pgtk copyright headers
@ 2021-12-31 12:30   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-12-31 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:45:18 +0800
>
> The files in the PGTK port have nonsensical dates in their copyright
> headers.

That's probably because those files started as copies of other files
in the Emacs tree.

>   - pgtkterm.c, pgtkfns.c, and pgtkim.c say they are copyright 1989 to
>     2020, while (judging by the VCS history) they should say 2017-2021.
>
>   - pgtkgui.h and pgtkterm.h say they are copyright 2008-2020; they
>     should also say 2017-2021.
>
>   - pgtkmenu.c says it is copyright 2019-2020, while it should say
>     2019-2021 instead.
>
>   - pgtkselect.c says it is copyright 1993 to 2020, while it should say
>     2017-2021.

The years need to be extended to cover 2021, but I would not remove
earlier years, because I'm quite sure a lot of that code was copied
verbatim from other Emacs source files.

The VCS dates have nothing to do with this, because the VCS doesn't
track simple copies of code fragments from one file to another.

> Is it okay for me to make the necessary corrections now, or are there
> some legal issues that have to be taken care of first?

No issues; please go ahead and fix this blunder.

Thanks.

* Re: pgtk copyright headers
@ 2021-12-31 13:03     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-12-31 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The years need to be extended to cover 2021, but I would not remove
> earlier years, because I'm quite sure a lot of that code was copied
> verbatim from other Emacs source files.
>
> The VCS dates have nothing to do with this, because the VCS doesn't
> track simple copies of code fragments from one file to another.
>
> No issues; please go ahead and fix this blunder.

Thanks, will do.