* Black scroll bars in current master (GNU/Linux)
@ 2022-04-01 15:13 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2022-04-01 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Building current master on GNU/Linux Mint 20.03 (Cinnamon) shows black scroll bars.

I wonder if this is really what we want...

Attached is the screen shots referring the previous build (emacs-20220309.png) and current build (emacs-20220401.png)..

Ciao,
  Angelo.

[-- Attachment #2: emacs-scrollbars-mint.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/gzip, Size: 192842 bytes --]

* Re: Black scroll bars in current master (GNU/Linux)
@ 2022-04-02  0:58 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-04-02  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:

> Building current master on GNU/Linux Mint 20.03 (Cinnamon) shows black
> scroll bars.

I thought that particular bug was fixed.  Can you show the output of M-x
describe-face scroll-bar RET?

* Re: Black scroll bars in current master (GNU/Linux)
@ 2022-04-02  1:11   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2022-04-02  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Il 02/04/2022 02:58 Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> ha scritto:
>

> Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:
>
> > Building current master on GNU/Linux Mint 20.03 (Cinnamon) shows black
> > scroll bars.
>
> I thought that particular bug was fixed.  Can you show the output of M-x
> describe-face scroll-bar RET?

This is the result:

Documentation:
Basic face for the scroll bar colors under X.

Defined in ‘faces.el’.

           Family: unspecified
          Foundry: unspecified
            Width: unspecified
           Height: unspecified
           Weight: unspecified
            Slant: unspecified
       Foreground: unspecified
DistantForeground: unspecified
       Background: unspecified
        Underline: unspecified
         Overline: unspecified
   Strike-through: unspecified
              Box: unspecified
          Inverse: unspecified
          Stipple: unspecified
             Font: unspecified
          Fontset: unspecified
           Extend: unspecified
          Inherit: unspecified

  This face was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
  version 21.1 of Emacs.

* Re: Black scroll bars in current master (GNU/Linux)
@ 2022-04-02  2:27     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-04-02  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:

> This is the result:

> Documentation:
> Basic face for the scroll bar colors under X.
>
> Defined in ‘faces.el’.
>

>            Family: unspecified
>           Foundry: unspecified
>             Width: unspecified
>            Height: unspecified
>            Weight: unspecified
>             Slant: unspecified
>        Foreground: unspecified
> DistantForeground: unspecified
>        Background: unspecified
>         Underline: unspecified
>          Overline: unspecified
>    Strike-through: unspecified
>               Box: unspecified
>           Inverse: unspecified
>           Stipple: unspecified
>              Font: unspecified
>           Fontset: unspecified
>            Extend: unspecified
>           Inherit: unspecified
>
>   This face was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
>   version 21.1 of Emacs.

What's the value of (frame-parameter nil 'scroll-bar-foreground)?

* Re: Black scroll bars in current master (GNU/Linux)
@ 2022-04-02  9:40       ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2022-04-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Il 02/04/2022 04:27 Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> ha scritto:
>

> Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:
>
> > This is the result:

> > Documentation:
> > Basic face for the scroll bar colors under X.
> >
> > Defined in ‘faces.el’.
> >

> >            Family: unspecified
> >           Foundry: unspecified
> >             Width: unspecified
> >            Height: unspecified
> >            Weight: unspecified
> >             Slant: unspecified
> >        Foreground: unspecified
> > DistantForeground: unspecified
> >        Background: unspecified
> >         Underline: unspecified
> >          Overline: unspecified
> >    Strike-through: unspecified
> >               Box: unspecified
> >           Inverse: unspecified
> >           Stipple: unspecified
> >              Font: unspecified
> >           Fontset: unspecified
> >            Extend: unspecified
> >           Inherit: unspecified
> >
> >   This face was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
> >   version 21.1 of Emacs.

> What's the value of (frame-parameter nil 'scroll-bar-foreground)?

It prints 'black' and this is caused by my desktop file (~/.emacs.d/desktop). Removing it, the above prints 'nil' and the scroll bar are in gray color as expected.

But now I have another issue: Emacs start without toolbar... Is it removed by default? How to re-enable it?

* Re: Black scroll bars in current master (GNU/Linux)
@ 2022-04-02 10:21         ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2022-04-02 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Il 02/04/2022 11:40 Angelo Graziosi  ha scritto:
>

> But now I have another issue: Emacs start without toolbar... Is it removed by default? How to re-enable it?

Oops, for some reason I had disabled it in the init file. Now restored!

So, in short, the cause of the black scroll bar was my desktop file which, probably, had something of incompatible with the new Emacs master.. Now I have regenerated it and all seems fine (strangely it occurred only in GNU/Linux build)..

* Re: Black scroll bars in current master (GNU/Linux)
@ 2022-04-02 10:30           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-04-02 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:

> Oops, for some reason I had disabled it in the init file. Now
> restored!
>
> So, in short, the cause of the black scroll bar was my desktop file
> which, probably, had something of incompatible with the new Emacs
> master.. Now I have regenerated it and all seems fine (strangely it
> occurred only in GNU/Linux build)..

Ah, it's not an incompatibility.  Support for changing scroll bar colors
was recently added to the GTK build (it has been present on the X
toolkit and non-toolkit-scroll-bars builds for a long time), that's all.

Thanks.