* Progress on merging Magit?
@ 2022-12-21  7:01 Payas Relekar
From: Payas Relekar @ 2022-12-21  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jonas

Hello,

After good work on merging eglot and use-package (almost exclusively by
other folks, admittedly), this is the next one.

I remember Eli mentioned once that it was decided long ago that magit
will be merged to Emacs core when the copyright assignment is done.

Since I could not find any references on quick google as well as magit's
Github issues, where can I look on what work is pending to get magit in
core, and any pointers on getting started on it?

cc Jonas Bernoulli (magit maintainer)

Thanks,
Payas

P.S. Just to get it out of the way, can someone please show me the way
to assign copyrights to FSF?

* Re: Progress on merging Magit?
@ 2022-12-26  3:40 ` Payas Relekar
From: Payas Relekar @ 2022-12-26  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jonas

Hi,

Does someone have any pointers on this? I expect to have some free time
this week and might just be able to get some work done.

Thanks,
Payas

@ 2022-12-26 21:20   ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2022-12-26 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Payas Relekar; +Cc: emacs-devel, jonas

> On Dec 25, 2022, at 7:40 PM, Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Does someone have any pointers on this? I expect to have some free time
> this week and might just be able to get some work done.

There was a discussion with the subject being “Magit”. Maybe you can search for that in the archive?

Yuan

* Re: Progress on merging Magit?
@ 2022-12-27  3:01   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-12-27  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Payas Relekar; +Cc: emacs-devel, jonas

Thank you for offering to help get the papers for Magit.  We need Jonas
to tell us what the next steps should be.

* Re: Progress on merging Magit?
@ 2022-12-27  6:17 Payas Relekar
From: Payas Relekar @ 2022-12-27  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuan Fu; +Cc: emacs-devel, jonas

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Dec 25, 2022, at 7:40 PM, Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does someone have any pointers on this? I expect to have some free time
>> this week and might just be able to get some work done.
>
> There was a discussion with the subject being “Magit”. Maybe you can search for that in the archive?

I tried again today, but couldn't find a thread that mentioned anything
other than copyright assignments are remaining. If there is a progress
tracker the way use-package did, it would help out a lot. Otherwise it
will be hard work of generating all author names with their changes, see
if those are significant and go from there.

If I don't find anything by today, I'll just get started on that, if
Jonas has some pointers, all the merrier :)

Thanks,
Payas

* Re: Progress on merging Magit?
@ 2022-12-27 19:30     ` Payas Relekar
From: Payas Relekar @ 2022-12-27 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel, jonas

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Thank you for offering to help get the papers for Magit.  We need Jonas
> to tell us what the next steps should be.

Jonas reached out and mentioned he is quite occupied at the moment.

It just so happens that my personal time availability has reduced
significantly due to my own $LIFE and I will not be able to carry this
out for foreseeable future.

As such, consider this endeavor as written off for now.

Thank you all for understanding,
Payas

* Re: Progress on merging Magit?
@ 2022-12-29  3:11       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-12-29  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Payas Relekar; +Cc: emacs-devel, jonas

  > Jonas reached out and mentioned he is quite occupied at the moment.

  > It just so happens that my personal time availability has reduced
  > significantly due to my own $LIFE and I will not be able to carry this
  > out for foreseeable future.

Too bad.  I hope you'll be able to help with this at some time in the
future.