* New (only?) extensible logging package for Emacs
@ 2023-03-11 13:30 Matúš Goljer
From: Matúš Goljer @ 2023-03-11 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello.

Recently a need came to have an extensible and configurable package for
logging in Emacs.  As far as I know there's no such thing in Emacs
itself or the broader community.

Python has logging and Java has log4j, but there's nothing of the sort
for Emacs.  While Emacs is mostly interactive, there are many Elisp
tools out there working as batch tools (linters, language server,
package management tools...) that would benefit from a better logging
experience.

But even packages running inside Emacs could use a logging framework
where users can turn debugging on and off while investigating issues.
Currently many popular packages include `PACKAGE-debug` switches and
their own implementation of "selective logging".

I've created a package `lgr` currently available on github
https://github.com/Fuco1/emacs-lgr with the intention of including it in
Emacs proper (therefore keeping external dependencies out of it).

This is a request for feedback I guess :)

--
Best regards,
  Matúš Goljer