* scroll-down behave strangely with header line
@ 2005-06-27 11:29 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2005-06-27 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Recently, I noticed that scroll-down behaves strangely when there is a
header line displayed.  The scroll bar is correctly updated, the line
number on the mode line too, but the window display doesn't change or
change very slowly.  No problem with scroll-up.

You can try to reproduce it like this:

emacs -Q

C-h i     (To display an info buffer with an header line.)

Visit a relatively long page like the one of the "GNU Free
Documentation License", go to the end of the buffer, then repeat
the <prior> key to scroll down.  Do you observe the same thing?

The only recent change that could be related to that seems this one:

2005-06-25  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>

	* macfns.c (Fx_show_tip): Pass new arg to try_window.

	* w32fns.c (Fx_show_tip): Pass new arg to try_window.

	* xfns.c (Fx_show_tip): Pass new arg to try_window.

	* xdisp.c (try_window): New arg CHECK_MARGINS.  Calls changed.
	(redisplay_window): Handle try_window reporting point in scroll margin.

Sincerely,
David

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.14)
 of 2005-06-27 on localhost
X server distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60802000
configured using `configure '--with-gtk'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

* Re: scroll-down behave strangely with header line
@ 2005-06-27 11:41 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-06-27 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David PONCE <david.ponce@wanadoo.fr> writes:

[...]

> Do you observe the same thing?

Yes.  On GNU/Linux with Lucid, but not with GTK.

Lute.

* Re: scroll-down behave strangely with header line
@ 2005-06-27 18:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-06-27 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David PONCE <david.ponce@wanadoo.fr>
> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:29:03 +0200 (CEST)
>
> emacs -Q
>
> C-h i     (To display an info buffer with an header line.)
>
> Visit a relatively long page like the one of the "GNU Free
> Documentation License", go to the end of the buffer, then repeat
> the <prior> key to scroll down.  Do you observe the same thing?

No, I don't (in an Emacs built 2 days ago for MS-Windows).

* Re: scroll-down behave strangely with header line
@ 2005-06-27 20:00   ` David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2005-06-27 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

>>Do you observe the same thing?
>

> Yes.  On GNU/Linux with Lucid, but not with GTK.

That's weird.  I have the problem with GTK.
Anyway I reverted the last change made to:

- dispextern.h 1.206  -> 1.205
- xdisp.c      1.1028 -> 1.1027
- xfnc.c       1.640  -> 1.639

and the problem has gone.

Hope it will help.

David

* Re: scroll-down behave strangely with header line
@ 2005-07-03 15:49     ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-07-03 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lute.Kamstra.lists, emacs-devel

    Anyway I reverted the last change made to:

    - dispextern.h 1.206  -> 1.205
    - xdisp.c      1.1028 -> 1.1027
    - xfnc.c       1.640  -> 1.639

That change fixed another bug, and mostly works correctly, so removing
it is not correct.  However, I found a bug there and another bug in
window.c.  I will install the fixes when I have a good opportunity.

* Re: scroll-down behave strangely with header line
@ 2005-07-03 16:10       ` David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2005-07-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>     Anyway I reverted the last change made to:
>
>     - dispextern.h 1.206  -> 1.205
>     - xdisp.c      1.1028 -> 1.1027
>     - xfnc.c       1.640  -> 1.639
>
> That change fixed another bug, and mostly works correctly, so removing
> it is not correct.  However, I found a bug there and another bug in
> window.c.  I will install the fixes when I have a good opportunity.

I looks there is a misunderstanding.  I meant I reverted the change on
my local CVS copy, to confirm that the problem was due to this change
set.  Sorry.

David

* Re: scroll-down behave strangely with header line
@ 2005-07-03 17:40       ` David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2005-07-03 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lute.Kamstra.lists, emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>     Anyway I reverted the last change made to:
>
>     - dispextern.h 1.206  -> 1.205
>     - xdisp.c      1.1028 -> 1.1027
>     - xfnc.c       1.640  -> 1.639
>
> That change fixed another bug, and mostly works correctly, so removing
> it is not correct.  However, I found a bug there and another bug in
> window.c.  I will install the fixes when I have a good opportunity.

I just tried your fix to window.c and it fixed the problem with the
header line.

Thanks.
David

* Re: scroll-down behave strangely with header line
@ 2005-07-05  9:34         ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-07-05  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

David Ponce <david.ponce@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>>     Anyway I reverted the last change made to:
>>     - dispextern.h 1.206  -> 1.205
>>     - xdisp.c      1.1028 -> 1.1027
>>     - xfnc.c       1.640  -> 1.639
>> That change fixed another bug, and mostly works correctly, so
>> removing
>> it is not correct.  However, I found a bug there and another bug in
>> window.c.  I will install the fixes when I have a good opportunity.
>
> I just tried your fix to window.c and it fixed the problem with the
> header line.

The problem is gone for me as well.

Lute.