* odd gnus imap problem
@ 2013-03-10 18:56 joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-03-10 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

This is probably a local problem, so I'm now just asking to see if anyone
else has this issue.

A couple of days ago I started having trouble reading an imap group in
gnus.

- I get a message "bad MAC ...". Then I cant continue reading the
- group. I think TLS is involved.
- all my imap resides on a loca dovecot instance on the same laptop
emacs runs
- I get the problem with only one group, the emacs devel group.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: odd gnus imap problem
@ 2013-03-12 18:15 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-03-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:56:26 +0100 joakim@verona.se wrote:

j> This is probably a local problem, so I'm now just asking to see if anyone
j> else has this issue.

j> A couple of days ago I started having trouble reading an imap group in
j> gnus.

j> - I get a message "bad MAC ...". Then I cant continue reading the
j> - group. I think TLS is involved.
j> - all my imap resides on a loca dovecot instance on the same laptop
j> emacs runs
j> - I get the problem with only one group, the emacs devel group.

Can you turn up `gnutls-log-level' to 2 and see if the output is more
useful to figure out the problem's source?

Ted

* Re: odd gnus imap problem
@ 2013-03-13 11:27   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-03-13 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:56:26 +0100 joakim@verona.se wrote:
>
> j> This is probably a local problem, so I'm now just asking to see if anyone
> j> else has this issue.
>
> j> A couple of days ago I started having trouble reading an imap group in
> j> gnus.
>
> j> - I get a message "bad MAC ...". Then I cant continue reading the
> j> - group. I think TLS is involved.
> j> - all my imap resides on a loca dovecot instance on the same laptop
> j> emacs runs
> j> - I get the problem with only one group, the emacs devel group.
>
> Can you turn up `gnutls-log-level' to 2 and see if the output is more
> useful to figure out the problem's source?

- I tried this setting for a while and got these suspicious log entries:
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) Received alert:  Bad record MAC

(setq  gnutls-log-level 2)
localhost certificate could not be verified.
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate signer was not found: localhost
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate validation failed: localhost
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) x509 certificate does not match: localhost
Opening connection to localhost...done
Opening nnimap server on naru...done
gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: gnutls_record.c:726

gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: gnutls_record.c:1122

gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) Received alert:  Bad record MAC
gnutls.c: [2] (Emacs) Deallocating x509 credentials
End of buffer

- then i tried using a emacs with no gnutls for a while, and i dont seem
  to get the problem anymore.

so for some reason gnutls support doesnt work in my case. Since we dont
get other reports about this, I think its a local problem. I use my
xwidget emacs branch(which i dont think touches gnutls support any) on
Fedora 18.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: odd gnus imap problem
@ 2013-03-13 18:31     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-03-13 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:27:59 +0100 joakim@verona.se wrote:

j> so for some reason gnutls support doesnt work in my case. Since we dont
j> get other reports about this, I think its a local problem. I use my
j> xwidget emacs branch(which i dont think touches gnutls support any) on
j> Fedora 18.

Hmm, that sounds very strange.  Could you try `gnutls-client' to the
same server and see if it behaves better?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: odd gnus imap problem
@ 2013-03-13 19:24       ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-03-13 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:27:59 +0100 joakim@verona.se wrote:
>
> j> so for some reason gnutls support doesnt work in my case. Since we dont
> j> get other reports about this, I think its a local problem. I use my
> j> xwidget emacs branch(which i dont think touches gnutls support any) on
> j> Fedora 18.
>
> Hmm, that sounds very strange.  Could you try `gnutls-client' to the
> same server and see if it behaves better?

Well, the thing is that I use a local dovecot instance on my laptop,
using only port 143 , so I don't even understand why gnutls is used at
all.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: odd gnus imap problem
@ 2013-03-14 12:15         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-03-14 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:24:12 +0100 joakim@verona.se wrote:

j> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:27:59 +0100 joakim@verona.se wrote:

j> so for some reason gnutls support doesnt work in my case. Since we dont
j> get other reports about this, I think its a local problem. I use my
j> xwidget emacs branch(which i dont think touches gnutls support any) on
j> Fedora 18.

>> Hmm, that sounds very strange.  Could you try `gnutls-client' to the
>> same server and see if it behaves better?

j> Well, the thing is that I use a local dovecot instance on my laptop,
j> using only port 143 , so I don't even understand why gnutls is used at
j> all.

I think you'll have to track down why it's happening.  Lars did most of
that work (connecting and upgrading to TLS) and I don't know it well
enough to be more helpful.

Ted

* Re: odd gnus imap problem
@ 2013-03-14 16:35           ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-03-14 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ

Ted Zlatanov <tzz-mIZUurteI1BWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> j> Well, the thing is that I use a local dovecot instance on my laptop,
> j> using only port 143 , so I don't even understand why gnutls is used at
> j> all.
>
> I think you'll have to track down why it's happening.  Lars did most of
> that work (connecting and upgrading to TLS) and I don't know it well
> enough to be more helpful.
>
> Ted

Perhaps (info "(gnus) Customizing the IMAP Connection") is helpful.  It
seems that an `nnimap-stream' of `undecided' (the default) goes for TLS
first, and then unencrypted.  Perhaps you can try an explicit
(nnimap-stream network) in the select method and see if that helps.

--
Regards,
WGG

* Re: odd gnus imap problem
@ 2013-04-02 16:35         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2013-04-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Well, the thing is that I use a local dovecot instance on my laptop,
> using only port 143 , so I don't even understand why gnutls is used at
> all.

It could be that it's using starttls...?  Have you tried wiresharking
the connection between gnus and dovecot?

* Re: odd gnus imap problem
@ 2013-04-03  1:37           ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-04-03  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ

Gnus's default setting for `nnimap-stream' server parameter is to try to
use TLS, and fall back to unecnrypted.  Try adding (nnimap-stream
network) to the select method to force unencrypted.

Steinar Bang <sb-1rLz5CwDoL8@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> Well, the thing is that I use a local dovecot instance on my laptop,
>> using only port 143 , so I don't even understand why gnutls is used at
>> all.
>
> It could be that it's using starttls...?  Have you tried wiresharking
> the connection between gnus and dovecot?

Best,
Will

--
BOFH excuse #271: