* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 194, Issue 161
       [not found] <mailman.1419.1587192495.3064.emacs-devel@gnu.org>
@ 2020-04-18  7:27 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2020-04-18  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: eliz, ulm, alex.bennee, yandros, emacs-devel

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 22:03:04 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> Is Electron free software?  If so, what is its license,
> and what does Emacs do that Electron does not support?
> (If there are lots of things, a few important ones would
> be enough of an answer.)

To answer your questions:
  - Electron is mostly under a free license, but is non-free, due
    to non-free blobs.  AFAICT, it's also patent-encumbered.
    https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1167
  - Electron is basically Google's Chromium browser, bundled
    up as an app development platform.
  - You're going to have a lot of issues if you try making
    Emacs use Electron.  For one, you're going to have to write
    a large part of the UI in JavaScript code, and then have it
    play well with C code.

Electron is non-free software, and that alone disqualifies it from
being used in Emacs, so there's that.

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 194, Issue 161
@ 2020-04-19  2:23   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2020-04-19  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: eliz, yandros, alex.bennee, ulm, emacs-devel

  > To answer your questions:
  >   - Electron is mostly under a free license, but is non-free, due
  >     to non-free blobs.

That would definitely rule it out.

    > - Electron is basically Google's Chromium browser, bundled
    >   up as an app development platform.

    > - You're going to have a lot of issues if you try making
    >   Emacs use Electron.  For one, you're going to have to write
    >   a large part of the UI in JavaScript code, and then have it
    >   play well with C code.

I think either of these would make it technically unsuitable for
Emacs, even if it had no worse problems.

Thanks for researching the question.

--
Dr Richard Stallman