* Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-18 17:46 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-18 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I'd like to change the style sheet so that our ELPA weg pages don't
spend as much screen real estate showing:

    To install this package, run in Emacs:

    M-x package-install RET haskell-tng-mode RET

I don't want to remove this info, just make it use less space.
I expect it should be a very simple change to make in the CSS, but
I also suspect that it would be much easier for someone more familiar
with CSS than I am.

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-18 19:45 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-18 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to change the style sheet so that our ELPA weg pages don't
> spend as much screen real estate showing:
>
>     To install this package, run in Emacs:
>
>     M-x package-install RET haskell-tng-mode RET
>
> I don't want to remove this info, just make it use less space.
> I expect it should be a very simple change to make in the CSS, but
> I also suspect that it would be much easier for someone more familiar
> with CSS than I am.

I feel that in general the "margin-bottom" value for paragraphs could be
reduced to 1em (from the current 2em, in layout.css:129), without
squeezing the page together too much.

Another idea might also to be to use details elements[0] to hide the
information by default (most users will know how a package is installed,
I suspect the note is added for people installing their first packages),
but to present it in more detail if explicitly requested.

[0] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/details

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-18 20:05   ` Philip Kaludercic
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-18 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to change the style sheet so that our ELPA weg pages don't
>> spend as much screen real estate showing:
>>
>>     To install this package, run in Emacs:
>>
>>     M-x package-install RET haskell-tng-mode RET
>>
>> I don't want to remove this info, just make it use less space.
>> I expect it should be a very simple change to make in the CSS, but
>> I also suspect that it would be much easier for someone more familiar
>> with CSS than I am.
>
> I feel that in general the "margin-bottom" value for paragraphs could be
> reduced to 1em (from the current 2em, in layout.css:129), without
> squeezing the page together too much.
>
> Another idea might also to be to use details elements[0] to hide the
> information by default (most users will know how a package is installed,
> I suspect the note is added for people installing their first packages),
> but to present it in more detail if explicitly requested.
>
> [0] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/details

Also related to the website, I think the NonGNU ELPA webpage could be
improved. This is how it currently looks like in Firefox when I shrink
the window:

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2021-10-18 NonGNU Emacs Lisp Package Archive.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 81345 bytes --]

First of all the "NonGNU Emacs Lisp Package Archive" is too packed, and
the instructions to configure NonGNU ELPA for versions prior to 28 are
wrapped in a <code> instead of <pre> element. Only the former preserves
indentation as intended, so that should be replaced.

I would fix these issues, but I cannot find where the HTML and CSS is
stored. Nongnu.git seems to have no html directory like elpa.git.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-18 20:18   ` Eric Abrahamsen
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-10-18 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to change the style sheet so that our ELPA weg pages don't
>> spend as much screen real estate showing:
>>
>>     To install this package, run in Emacs:
>>
>>     M-x package-install RET haskell-tng-mode RET
>>
>> I don't want to remove this info, just make it use less space.
>> I expect it should be a very simple change to make in the CSS, but
>> I also suspect that it would be much easier for someone more familiar
>> with CSS than I am.
>
> I feel that in general the "margin-bottom" value for paragraphs could be
> reduced to 1em (from the current 2em, in layout.css:129), without
> squeezing the page together too much.
>
> Another idea might also to be to use details elements[0] to hide the
> information by default (most users will know how a package is installed,
> I suspect the note is added for people installing their first packages),
> but to present it in more detail if explicitly requested.
>
> [0] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/details

<details> is nice!

The other that occurred to me was simply to pull the instructions up
inline, so instead of:

<pre>M-x package-install RET ebdb RET</pre>

We use:

Saves a fair amount of vertical real estate.

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-18 20:22   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-10-18 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic, Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I feel that in general the "margin-bottom" value for paragraphs could be
> reduced to 1em (from the current 2em, in layout.css:129), without
> squeezing the page together too much.

FWIW, I like 1.5em, 2em or 1em, in that order.  Feel free to install
whichever change you prefer here; I don't think anyone will protest as
few people here care strongly about the details of our web design.

> Another idea might also to be to use details elements[0] to hide the
> information by default (most users will know how a package is installed,
> I suspect the note is added for people installing their first packages),
> but to present it in more detail if explicitly requested.
>
> [0] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/details

If it has reasonable support in typical web browsers, then I don't see
why not.

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-18 21:27     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-18 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Another idea might also to be to use details elements[0] to hide the
>> information by default (most users will know how a package is installed,
>> I suspect the note is added for people installing their first packages),
>> but to present it in more detail if explicitly requested.
>>
>> [0] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/details
>
> If it has reasonable support in typical web browsers, then I don't see
> why not.

It appears to be well supported:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/details#browser_compatibility

I'd say the real question is if this is necessary in the first place. A
single line in the body doesn't seem worth hiding.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-10-18 22:32   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-18 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I feel that in general the "margin-bottom" value for paragraphs could be
> reduced to 1em (from the current 2em, in layout.css:129), without
> squeezing the page together too much.

No objection (nor opinion) from me.

> Another idea might also to be to use details elements[0] to hide the
> information by default (most users will know how a package is installed,
> I suspect the note is added for people installing their first packages),
> but to present it in more detail if explicitly requested.

Given the fact that the info is short (single line), I think
hiding/revealing would be over-engineered.  I was thinking instead to
bring the two part onto a single line which shouldn't take much more
space than the lines like Description/Latest/Maintainer/... above.

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-18 22:34     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-18 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I would fix these issues, but I cannot find where the HTML and CSS is
> stored.  Nongnu.git seems to have no html directory like elpa.git.

I think it's in the `main` branch of `elpa.git` in the `html`
subdirectory (it's the same CSS used for NonGNU).

[ If/when you update it, let me know because it's not automatically
  copied to the actual web site.  ]

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-10-19  7:38   ` Augusto Stoffel
From: Augusto Stoffel @ 2021-10-19  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 19:45, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

> I feel that in general the "margin-bottom" value for paragraphs could be
> reduced to 1em (from the current 2em, in layout.css:129), without
> squeezing the page together too much.

I don't know if this is related at all, but the spacing around lists and
code blocks looks kind of wrong to me (especially when normal text
follows it).

Some more things I noticed:

- the font of code blocks (but not inline literal stuff) looks smaller
  than regular text.
- there seems to be a bug where every table has the search box as in the
  package listing, see e.g.
  https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/consult.html#org48fd831
- Subsections (numbered X.X) are displayed just like normal text.

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-19 16:47       ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-19 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I would fix these issues, but I cannot find where the HTML and CSS is
>> stored.  Nongnu.git seems to have no html directory like elpa.git.
>
> I think it's in the `main` branch of `elpa.git` in the `html`
> subdirectory (it's the same CSS used for NonGNU).

Yes, but where is the index.html for NonGNU ELPA located?

@ 2021-10-19 20:34         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-19 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

Philip Kaludercic [2021-10-19 16:47:41] wrote:
>>> I would fix these issues, but I cannot find where the HTML and CSS is
>>> stored.  Nongnu.git seems to have no html directory like elpa.git.
>>
>> I think it's in the `main` branch of `elpa.git` in the `html`
>> subdirectory (it's the same CSS used for NonGNU).
>
> Yes, but where is the index.html for NonGNU ELPA located?

Ah, I think it's currently "nowhere in Git".
I suggest you add it to elpa.git:main:html

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-21 21:02           ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-21 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Philip Kaludercic [2021-10-19 16:47:41] wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it's in the `main` branch of `elpa.git` in the `html`
>>> subdirectory (it's the same CSS used for NonGNU).
>>
>> Yes, but where is the index.html for NonGNU ELPA located?
>
> Ah, I think it's currently "nowhere in Git".
> I suggest you add it to elpa.git:main:html

I am not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean elpa.git (or nongnu.git),
on the main branch, in a html directory?

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-21 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

Philip Kaludercic [2021-10-21 21:02:04] wrote:
>> Philip Kaludercic [2021-10-19 16:47:41] wrote:

>>> Yes, but where is the index.html for NonGNU ELPA located?
>>
>> Ah, I think it's currently "nowhere in Git".
>> I suggest you add it to elpa.git:main:html
>
> I am not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean elpa.git (or nongnu.git),
> on the main branch, in a html directory?

Yes, I was thinking the `html` directory of the `main` branch of the
`elpa.git` (which is what I meant by `elpa.git:main:html`).
But if you prefer putting it in a new `html` directory in the `main`
branch of `nongnu.git` that would work as well.

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-22 20:00               ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-22 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Philip Kaludercic [2021-10-21 21:02:04] wrote:
>> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

>>> Ah, I think it's currently "nowhere in Git".
>>> I suggest you add it to elpa.git:main:html
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean elpa.git (or nongnu.git),
>> on the main branch, in a html directory?
>
> Yes, I was thinking the `html` directory of the `main` branch of the
> `elpa.git` (which is what I meant by `elpa.git:main:html`).
> But if you prefer putting it in a new `html` directory in the `main`
> branch of `nongnu.git` that would work as well.

Yes, this confused me because index.html is for GNU ELPA, so I couldn't
just name it index.html for NonGNU.

Having to many implicit dependencies between elpa.git and nongnu.git
seems like potential for confusion.

Along these lines, should nongnu.git:main:html also contain the other
files (css, images, javascript, ...)?

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-22 20:38                 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-10-22 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic, Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Having to many implicit dependencies between elpa.git and nongnu.git
> seems like potential for confusion.

Could we perhaps simplify all this by moving such things into a third,
shared repository?

(BTW, how about renaming "elpa.git" and "nongnu.git"?  I find it
slightly counter-intuitive and would prefer something more explicit like
"gnu-elpa.git" and "nongnu-elpa.git".  Alternatively, the "new" nongnu
ELPA repository could be named "nongnu-elpa.git".  Maybe it's too late
to suggest this though.)

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-22 20:44                   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-22 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Having to many implicit dependencies between elpa.git and nongnu.git
>> seems like potential for confusion.
>
> Could we perhaps simplify all this by moving such things into a third,
> shared repository?

Or even everything into one, with elpa.git and nongnu.git being
different branches.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Yes, this confused me because index.html is for GNU ELPA, so I couldn't
> just name it index.html for NonGNU.
>
> Having to many implicit dependencies between elpa.git and nongnu.git
> seems like potential for confusion.
>
> Along these lines, should nongnu.git:main:html also contain the other
> files (css, images, javascript, ...)?

The files are shared via symlinks and they're copied from the Git clone
to the web site in an ad-hoc way anyway, so there's no great benefit to
try and have a structure in the Git that matches the Web
site's structure.

I suggested to put the file in elpa.git:main:html so that's the only
place from which we need to copy those files, which makes things
marginally simpler.

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-23 23:28                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-10-23 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

  > >> I am not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean elpa.git (or nongnu.git),
  > >> on the main branch, in a html directory?
  > >
  > > Yes, I was thinking the `html` directory of the `main` branch of the
  > > `elpa.git` (which is what I meant by `elpa.git:main:html`).
  > > But if you prefer putting it in a new `html` directory in the `main`
  > > branch of `nongnu.git` that would work as well.

  > Yes, this confused me because index.html is for GNU ELPA, so I couldn't
  > just name it index.html for NonGNU.

  > Having to many implicit dependencies between elpa.git and nongnu.git
  > seems like potential for confusion.

Would someone please explain to me the question under discussion here?
What change has been proposed?

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-24  9:15                   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-24  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > >> I am not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean elpa.git (or nongnu.git),
>   > >> on the main branch, in a html directory?
>   > >
>   > > Yes, I was thinking the `html` directory of the `main` branch of the
>   > > `elpa.git` (which is what I meant by `elpa.git:main:html`).
>   > > But if you prefer putting it in a new `html` directory in the `main`
>   > > branch of `nongnu.git` that would work as well.
>
>   > Yes, this confused me because index.html is for GNU ELPA, so I couldn't
>   > just name it index.html for NonGNU.
>
>   > Having to many implicit dependencies between elpa.git and nongnu.git
>   > seems like potential for confusion.
>
> Would someone please explain to me the question under discussion here?
> What change has been proposed?

The HTML files of elpa.gnu.org are stored in elpa.git, but the HTML
files for elpa.nongnu.org are currently not part of any repository.

I wanted to know where/how it would be best to add the HTML files for
elpa.nongnu.org, so that contributors like me can suggest changes.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-24 10:25                   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-24 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Yes, this confused me because index.html is for GNU ELPA, so I couldn't
>> just name it index.html for NonGNU.
>>
>> Having to many implicit dependencies between elpa.git and nongnu.git
>> seems like potential for confusion.
>>
>> Along these lines, should nongnu.git:main:html also contain the other
>> files (css, images, javascript, ...)?
>
> The files are shared via symlinks and they're copied from the Git clone
> to the web site in an ad-hoc way anyway, so there's no great benefit to
> try and have a structure in the Git that matches the Web
> site's structure.
>
> I suggested to put the file in elpa.git:main:html so that's the only
> place from which we need to copy those files, which makes things
> marginally simpler.

I see.  So adding it to elpa.git makes sense, but I think adding a note
to nongnu.git:main:README would also be worthwhile.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-24 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

Philip Kaludercic [2021-10-24 10:25:05] wrote:
>>> Yes, this confused me because index.html is for GNU ELPA, so I couldn't
>>> just name it index.html for NonGNU.
>>>
>>> Having to many implicit dependencies between elpa.git and nongnu.git
>>> seems like potential for confusion.
>>>
>>> Along these lines, should nongnu.git:main:html also contain the other
>>> files (css, images, javascript, ...)?
>>
>> The files are shared via symlinks and they're copied from the Git clone
>> to the web site in an ad-hoc way anyway, so there's no great benefit to
>> try and have a structure in the Git that matches the Web
>> site's structure.
>>
>> I suggested to put the file in elpa.git:main:html so that's the only
>> place from which we need to copy those files, which makes things
>> marginally simpler.
>
> I see.  So adding it to elpa.git makes sense, but I think adding a note
> to nongnu.git:main:README would also be worthwhile.

Of course,

* Re: Prettify elpa.gnu.org
@ 2021-10-27 14:34                     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-10-27 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

  > The HTML files of elpa.gnu.org are stored in elpa.git, but the HTML
  > files for elpa.nongnu.org are currently not part of any repository.

  > I wanted to know where/how it would be best to add the HTML files for
  > elpa.nongnu.org, so that contributors like me can suggest changes.

Thanks for explaining.