* widget-inactive face unusable
@ 2005-07-03 11:20 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-03 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found the face widget-inactive unusable, at least on w32. Can anyone
see the difference between active and inactive buttons in Custom?

It is currently defined as

(defface widget-inactive '((((class grayscale color)
                 (background dark))
                (:foreground "light gray"))
               (((class grayscale color)
                 (background light))
                (:foreground "dim gray"))
               (t
                (:slant italic)))
  "Face used for inactive widgets."
  :group 'widget-faces)
;; backward-compatibility alias
(put 'widget-inactive-face 'face-alias 'widget-inactive)

I get the "dim gray" foreground. I do not know what "dim" stands for but
removing it gives me a more useful color. The widget label is now really
gray. (However it might even be too hard to read.)

How does it look on other platforms? Can we change it to something useful?

* Re: widget-inactive face unusable
@ 2005-07-04  0:27 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2005-07-04  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I found the face widget-inactive unusable, at least on w32. Can anyone
> see the difference between active and inactive buttons in Custom?
>
> It is currently defined as
>
> (defface widget-inactive '((((class grayscale color)
>                 (background dark))
>                (:foreground "light gray"))
>               (((class grayscale color)
>                 (background light))
>                (:foreground "dim gray"))
>               (t
>                (:slant italic)))
>  "Face used for inactive widgets."
>  :group 'widget-faces)
> ;; backward-compatibility alias
> (put 'widget-inactive-face 'face-alias 'widget-inactive)
>
> I get the "dim gray" foreground. I do not know what "dim" stands for but
> removing it gives me a more useful color. The widget label is now really
> gray. (However it might even be too hard to read.)
>
> How does it look on other platforms? Can we change it to something useful?

There is a special face for this purpose.  Could you try to use it with

(defface widget-inactive
  '((t (:inherit shadow)))

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: widget-inactive face unusable
@ 2005-07-04  9:56 LENNART BORGMAN
From: LENNART BORGMAN @ 2005-07-04  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

From: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>

> > I get the "dim gray" foreground. I do not know what "dim" stands
> for but
> > removing it gives me a more useful color. The widget label is
> now really
> > gray. (However it might even be too hard to read.)
> >
> > How does it look on other platforms? Can we change it to
> something useful?
>
> There is a special face for this purpose.  Could you try to use it
> with
> (defface widget-inactive
>  '((t (:inherit shadow)))
>  "Face used for inactive widgets."
>  :group 'widget-faces)

Thanks, that is much better. Could this be used instead?