* Hundreds of ELPA packages updated today?
@ 2024-03-31 11:05 Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2024-03-31 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

gnu-emacs-sources received a few hundred update notifications for ELPA
packages this morning, and in the web interface their latest version is
indeed dated 2024-Mar-31.

Glitch in the system, or is something nefarious going on?

Thanks,
-r

* Re: Hundreds of ELPA packages updated today?
@ 2024-03-31 11:49 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-03-31 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Francoise; +Cc: emacs-devel

Romain Francoise <romain@rfr.sh> writes:

> Hi,
>
> gnu-emacs-sources received a few hundred update notifications for ELPA
> packages this morning, and in the web interface their latest version is
> indeed dated 2024-Mar-31.
>
> Glitch in the system, or is something nefarious going on?

I am not quite sure, but one reason might have been the recent addition
of Atom feeds for package updates to elpa-admin.el, which have now been
generated for all packages.

--
	Philip Kaludercic on icterid

* Re: Hundreds of ELPA packages updated today?
       [not found] ` <alphapapa/plz.el/pull/43/c2028891318@github.com>
@ 2024-03-31 20:31   ` Joseph Turner
From: Joseph Turner @ 2024-03-31 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Romain Francoise <romain@rfr.sh> writes:

>> Hi,
>>
>> gnu-emacs-sources received a few hundred update notifications for ELPA
>> packages this morning, and in the web interface their latest version is
>> indeed dated 2024-Mar-31.
>>
>> Glitch in the system, or is something nefarious going on?

> I am not quite sure, but one reason might have been the recent addition
> of Atom feeds for package updates to elpa-admin.el, which have now been
> generated for all packages.

ELPA update <do.not.reply@elpa.gnu.org> sent an erroneous email about
hyperdrive.el v0.3 to https://lists.sr.ht/~ushin/ushin 9 hours ago.

I'm also curious to know what the cause is.

Thanks!

Joseph

* Re: Hundreds of ELPA packages updated today?
@ 2024-04-01 15:44   ` Daniel Mendler via Emacs development discussions.
From: Daniel Mendler via Emacs development discussions. @ 2024-04-01 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Romain Francoise, emacs-devel, Stefan Monnier

> Romain Francoise <romain@rfr.sh> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> gnu-emacs-sources received a few hundred update notifications for ELPA
>> packages this morning, and in the web interface their latest version is
>> indeed dated 2024-Mar-31.
>>
>> Glitch in the system, or is something nefarious going on?
>
> I am not quite sure, but one reason might have been the recent addition
> of Atom feeds for package updates to elpa-admin.el, which have now been
> generated for all packages.

Somehow the process didn't handle all packages. For example the Vertico
ELPA page doesn't show an Atom feed yet. Also the manual is still not
updated to the new CSS style.

Daniel

* Re: Hundreds of ELPA packages updated today?
@ 2024-04-02 15:14 Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2024-04-02 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: romain

Considering the latest XZ tools happening, I was a bit worried when I got a
message about new release for Pabbrev, and I know I haven't updated anything,
but this explains it.

/a

* Re: Hundreds of ELPA packages updated today?
@ 2024-04-02 20:33 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-04-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Arthur Miller wrote:

> Considering the latest XZ tools happening, I was a bit
> worried

Don't worry about it :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Hundreds of ELPA packages updated today?
@ 2024-04-02 21:41   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2024-04-02 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: romain, emacs-devel

  > > gnu-emacs-sources received a few hundred update notifications for ELPA
  > > packages this morning, and in the web interface their latest version is
  > > indeed dated 2024-Mar-31.
  > >
  > > Glitch in the system, or is something nefarious going on?

  > I am not quite sure, but one reason might have been the recent addition
  > of Atom feeds for package updates to elpa-admin.el, which have now been
  > generated for all packages.

If that's what caused it, maybe in the future we can manually update
the time stamps after such a change, so that it does not trigger
announcements for individual packages.