* Re: Warnings in cc mode
       [not found] <E1EbOsE-0000q9-I3@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-15 10:34 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-11-15 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

[cc to emacs-devel@gnu.org added]

Hi, Richard:

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>Would you please DTRT?

>In toplevel form:
>cc-fonts.el:160:16:Warning: `font-lock-reference-face' is an obsolete
>     variable; use `font-lock-constant-face' instead.

We can surely fix this in CC Mode 5.31, since support for Emacs 19.34 is
being dropped.  CC Mode 5.30.n (the current released version) still
supports 19.34.  font-lock-reference-face became obsolete at Emacs 20.1,
I believe.

>In c-make-styles-buffer-local:
>cc-styles.el:621:27:Warning: `make-variable-buffer-local' should be
>called at
>     toplevel

This implements a user option to have CC Mode style variables global
rather than buffer-local.  This is an ancient compatibility thing which
probably isn't useful any more (if it ever was).  However, _somebody_ out
there is probably still using it.  :-(

So I think it should stay as it is.  What is so bad about calling
`make-variable-buffer-local' from a function rather than top level?  Or
even, for that matter, calling it from an `eval-after-load' form?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)

* Re: Warnings in cc mode
@ 2005-11-15 23:22   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-11-15 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

    So I think it should stay as it is.  What is so bad about calling
    `make-variable-buffer-local' from a function rather than top level?

It usually means someone meant to call make-local-variable
and wrote make-variable-buffer-local by mistake.

If that call is correct, please install a call to with-no-warnings
around it, to suppress the warning.

By the way, when will you install the new CC mode in Emacs?

* Re: Warnings in cc mode
@ 2005-11-16  0:06   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-11-16  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard M. Stallman, bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

> What is so bad about calling `make-variable-buffer-local' from a function
> rather than top level?  Or even, for that matter, calling it from an
> `eval-after-load' form?

make-variable-buffer-local changes the behavior of a variable globally and
for ever.  So it's a property of the variable and should only ever appear
right next to the corresponding defvar.

Many people incorrectly use make-variable-buffer-local where they meant
make-local-variable, and this warning catches this (that's the reason why
I added the warning).

Just like for all warnings, there are corner cases where the warning is
triggered in a situation where the code is actually really doing what it
intends to do.