* Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 18:49 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-05-03 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It was reported to me that a lot of technical advice about Emacs is requested
and given in Google groups, which are only visible to people who use Gmail.

Is that true?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 18:59 ` Stöckert András
From: Stöckert András @ 2011-05-03 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Google groups is readable without registration, but to answer, one has
to get a Google account.

---
Stöckert András

@ 2011-05-03 18:59 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-05-03 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> It was reported to me that a lot of technical advice about Emacs is requested
> and given in Google groups, which are only visible to people who use Gmail.
>
> Is that true?

That sounds strange. You can participate in Google groups whatever
mail address you have AFAIK.

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 19:07 ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2011-05-03 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, May 03 2011, Richard Stallman wrote:

> It was reported to me that a lot of technical advice about Emacs is
> requested and given in Google groups, which are only visible to people
> who use Gmail.

Google Groups is mostly just a web front end for USENET.  In fact, if
you go to groups.google.com and search for "emacs" gnu.emacs.help and
comp.emacs are the two groups that come up as matches.  Of the two
groups gnu.emacs.help is far and away the most active.  So the good news
is that chances are extremely good that the technical advice that was
reported to you as being on "Google Groups" is actually being done on
gnu.emacs.help.

I believe that you *do* have to have a Google account to post to Google
Groups, but you can read the group without one.  Not that I would
recommend using Google Groups to read gnu.emacs.help.  For all of
Google's technical acumen they do not appear to even attempt to filter
spam on their newsfeeds.

Jason

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 19:09   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-05-03 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stöckert András; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

2011/5/3 Stöckert András <stockertandras@gmail.com>:
> Google groups is readable without registration, but to answer, one has
> to get a Google account.

I do not think you have to have a Google account, but things gets a
bit easier sometimes if you have it. And you can have a Google account
with any mail address.

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 19:11   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-05-03 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Earl; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 03 2011, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>> It was reported to me that a lot of technical advice about Emacs is
>> requested and given in Google groups, which are only visible to people
>> who use Gmail.
>
> Google Groups is mostly just a web front end for USENET.

Not any more. It started long ago as that but today it justs includes
what once was USENET. Most Google groups are not in USENET.

For what it is worth I consider Google groups to be the technically
best mailing lists I have seen so far.

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 19:30     ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2011-05-03 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On Tue, May 03 2011, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 03 2011, Richard Stallman wrote:
>>
>>> It was reported to me that a lot of technical advice about Emacs is
>>> requested and given in Google groups, which are only visible to people
>>> who use Gmail.
>>
>> Google Groups is mostly just a web front end for USENET.
>
> Not any more. It started long ago as that but today it justs includes
> what once was USENET. Most Google groups are not in USENET.
>
> For what it is worth I consider Google groups to be the technically
> best mailing lists I have seen so far.

That's an excellent point.  It is more accurate to say that Google
Groups is a unified front end over USENET and a whole pile of Google
hosted mailing lists.  However, there does not appear to be a great deal
of Emacs technical advice going on any of Google Groups mailing lists.

Just to be clear, you can certainly participate on Google Group mailing
lists without using Gmail.  I participate in a few Google Group hosted
mailing lists myself.  You have to get a Google account, but you have to
get an account to participate in emacs-devel as well.  Once you have an
account Google will happily send you email to whatever email address you
configure, and you can then read the mail using your customary tools (I
use Emacs/Gnus).

Google does make it a bit easier to use their email service, but you
don't have to use Gmail if you don't want to.

Jason

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 19:49     ` Christophe Poncy
From: Christophe Poncy @ 2011-05-03 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 05/03/2011 09:11 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> For what it is worth I consider Google groups to be the technically
> best mailing lists I have seen so far.
Not for me, those mailing lists are not practical to use, you have to
send an url in your browser to register without a Google account.

http://groups.google.com/group/googlegroupname/boxsubscribe?email=youremail@address.org

I suppose you have to replace "boxsubscribe" by "boxunsubscribe" or
"unsubscribe" to unregister?

And there's no way to manage your subscription without Gmail. I am on
two Google mailing lists related to Emacs, one for Rails on Emacs, the
other for Magit.

--
Support free software! Join FSF:
https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom?referrer=4574

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 19:55       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-05-03 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Poncy; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Christophe Poncy <cp@canaxis.org> wrote:
> On 05/03/2011 09:11 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>
>> For what it is worth I consider Google groups to be the technically
>> best mailing lists I have seen so far.
>
> Not for me, those mailing lists are not practical to use, you have to send
> an url in your browser to register without a Google account.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/googlegroupname/boxsubscribe?email=youremail@address.org

Is that really true?

> I suppose you have to replace "boxsubscribe" by "boxunsubscribe" or
> "unsubscribe" to unregister?

That is not true (if I do not misremember).

> And there's no way to manage your subscription without Gmail.

Do you mean without a Google Account, or? Maybe that is a
disadvantage, maybe not.

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 20:18         ` Christophe Poncy
From: Christophe Poncy @ 2011-05-03 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 05/03/2011 09:55 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> [...]
>
> Is that really true?

Yes, you can try to register to the the Magit Google Group this way
without a Gmail account or a Google account for exemple :

http://groups.google.com/group/magit/boxsubscribe?email=xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

>> I suppose you have to replace "boxsubscribe" by "boxunsubscribe" or
>> "unsubscribe" to unregister?
>
> That is not true (if I do not misremember).

You are right. But unsubscribing by email seems to work, I just tried
for the Magit google group:

magit@googlegroups.com
"unsubscribe" on subject

>> And there's no way to manage your subscription without Gmail.
>
> Do you mean without a Google Account, or? Maybe that is a
> disadvantage, maybe not.

Yes, I meant without a Google Account, I don't want to create one just
to manage the subscription...

--

@ 2011-05-03 20:37       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-05-03 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, 03 May 2011 21:49:35 +0200 Christophe Poncy <cp@canaxis.org> wrote:

CP> And there's no way to manage your subscription without Gmail. I am on
CP> two Google mailing lists related to Emacs, one for Rails on Emacs, the
CP> other for Magit.

You can use Gmane to read Google Groups mailing lists.  It used to have
problems but they are working well now.  In that setup, you're talking
to a NNTP server (Gmane) and don't need to register with Google.

Ted

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 20:43           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-05-03 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Poncy; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Christophe Poncy <cp@canaxis.org> wrote:

>>> And there's no way to manage your subscription without Gmail.
>>
>> Do you mean without a Google Account, or? Maybe that is a
>> disadvantage, maybe not.
>>
> Yes, I meant without a Google Account, I don't want to create one just to
> manage the subscription...

If it is a big problem for you to get a Google Account then of course
Google Groups are not that good for you.

However I appreciate that it works very well both as a web forum and a
mailing list at the same time.

You can use the web forum without using a mouse for example. And the
interface is visually good (at least for me).

And for me, using Swedish language in some groups, it is good that
they have understood what is technically necessary to handle and mix
messages based on utf-8, latin-1 etc. (Some other big mailing lists,
i.e. yahoo, that can acts as web forums too fails very badly on this.)

I do not say this as an advertisement for Google (though I now always
use Google groups whenever I need to create a mailing list). I am just
saying "look, here is a good example of how mailing lists+web forum
could work!".

* Re: Limited-access technical advice
@ 2011-05-03 21:38       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-05-03 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Earl; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, rms, emacs-devel

Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org> writes:

> Just to be clear, you can certainly participate on Google Group mailing
> lists without using Gmail.  I participate in a few Google Group hosted
> mailing lists myself.  You have to get a Google account,

The list admin can subscribe any mail address to a google group mailing
list.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Free mailing list managers (was Re: Limited-access technical advice)
@ 2011-05-04 15:51             ` Barry Warsaw
From: Barry Warsaw @ 2011-05-04 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel