* Help with gdb-mi.el + (possibly) comint.el + backslashes
@ 2013-06-15  4:46 Sergio Durigan Junior
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2013-06-15  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hey there,

I've been debugging gdb-mi.el in order to fix an annoying bug, but so
far haven't understood how to fix it.

The bug is basically that gdb-mi.el doesn't recognize backslashes for
wrapped lines, so something like:

    (gdb) run \
      ARG1 \
      ARG2

Fails with:

    Undefined command: "ARG2".  Try "help".

This is because "gdb-send" (inside gdb-mi.el) is receiving the wrong
arguments every time the user presses RET (I debugged the function and
noticed that it is receiving each line separately as if they were single
commands, which can also be confirmed by the error message).  Initially
I thought it could be fixed inside gdb-mi.el itself, but then my
attention was dragged to comint.el (since shell.el uses it and accepts
backslashes normally), but so far I couldn't figure out how to solve
this issue.

I tried setting some comint.el variables inside gdb-mi.el
(comint-prompt-regexp, or comint-delimiter-argument-list, for example),
without success.  So now I'm asking your opinion.  Any hints on how to
debug/solve this?  Meanwhile I'll continue trying here.

Sergio

* Re: Help with gdb-mi.el + (possibly) comint.el + backslashes
@ 2013-06-22  6:25 ` Sergio Durigan Junior
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2013-06-22  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Saturday, June 15 2013, I wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I've been debugging gdb-mi.el in order to fix an annoying bug, but so
> far haven't understood how to fix it.
>
> The bug is basically that gdb-mi.el doesn't recognize backslashes for
> wrapped lines, so something like:
>
>     (gdb) run \
>       ARG1 \
>       ARG2
>
> Fails with:
>
>     Undefined command: "ARG2".  Try "help".
>
> This is because "gdb-send" (inside gdb-mi.el) is receiving the wrong
> arguments every time the user presses RET (I debugged the function and
> noticed that it is receiving each line separately as if they were single
> commands, which can also be confirmed by the error message).  Initially
> I thought it could be fixed inside gdb-mi.el itself, but then my
> attention was dragged to comint.el (since shell.el uses it and accepts
> backslashes normally), but so far I couldn't figure out how to solve
> this issue.
>
> I tried setting some comint.el variables inside gdb-mi.el
> (comint-prompt-regexp, or comint-delimiter-argument-list, for example),
> without success.  So now I'm asking your opinion.  Any hints on how to
> debug/solve this?  Meanwhile I'll continue trying here.

Ping?

Don't know if I should ping some specific comint.el list (is there
any?).  Unfortunately I didn't have time to play with this again.

@ 2013-06-25 18:24   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-25 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergio Durigan Junior; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Ping?

> Don't know if I should ping some specific comint.el list (is there
> any?).  Unfortunately I didn't have time to play with this again.

No, I think you're at the right place, but nobody's found the time to
look into it.  You might like to send it to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
(e.g. with M-x report-emacs-bug) so it gets a bug-number.