* Feature Request: Support <audio> in shr
@ 2021-11-09 15:27 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-11-09 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Now that we have <video> support, could we also add <audio> support,
preferably where the player used to play the audio is customizable --
a function that takes the URL in the SRC attribute
with an appropriate default

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Feature Request: Support <audio> in shr
@ 2021-11-09 17:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-09 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:27:24 -0800
>
> Now that we have <video> support, could we also add <audio> support,
> preferably where the player used to play the audio is customizable --
> a function that takes the URL in the SRC attribute
> with an appropriate default

Maybe I don't understand what you are looking for, but Emacs already
has the play-sound-file command and the play-sound function.

* Re: Feature Request: Support <audio> in shr
@ 2021-11-09 17:15   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-11-09 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

play-sound-file does not know to play things like mp3s.

Specifically, what I was asking Lars was that we :

1. Support the HTML <audio> tag alongside the video tag
   2. That we  implement pressing <RET> on the rendering of a <audio>
      tag to invoke a function that receives the src attribute of
      <audio>

@ 2021-11-09 18:29     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-09 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:15:41 -0800
> Cc: raman@google.com,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> play-sound-file does not know to play things like mp3s.

Then maybe we should extend it so it does.  (It does for me on
MS-Windows, FWIW.  I'm playing Leonard Cohen's "I'm Your Man" in MP3
as I'm writing this.)

* Re: Feature Request: Support <audio> in shr
@ 2021-11-09 23:48 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-09 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Now that we have <video> support, could we also add <audio> support,
> preferably where the player used to play the audio is customizable --
> a function that takes the URL in the SRC attribute
> with an appropriate default

I think we already have that?  That is, `browse-url-handlers' can react
to URLs (like .mp3) and use whatever you want to use to handle it...

* Re: Feature Request: Support <audio> in shr
@ 2021-11-10  2:27   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-11-10  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: larsi; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

But right now <audio src=...>my talk</audio> produces a "unsupported
content type" link in EWW.

@ 2021-11-10  2:32     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-10  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> But right now <audio src=...>my talk</audio> produces a "unsupported
> content type" link in EWW.

Yes, you'll have to configure browse-url-handlers for that to work, I
think.

The default will eventually to use webkit (like shr does with video),
but we haven't gotten that far yet.

* Re: Feature Request: Support <audio> in shr
@ 2021-11-10 23:10       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-11-10 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 1302 bytes --]

After looking into this a bit further:

1. browse-url-handlers matches on URL pattern, should we also be able to
   match on content-type?

   2. I tried to regex match on .mp3$, but it turns out that
      A) did not work  after setting
      (("\\`*.mp3\\$" . emacspeak-m-player-url) ("\\`mailto:"
      . browse-url--mailto) ("\\`man:" . browse-url--man)
      (browse-url--non-html-file-url-p . browse-url-emacs))

      Opening a simple html file in EWW/shr  containing
      src="http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/raman/publications/limaye-raman.mp3">Audio
      talk</audio></p>

      1. Appears to wait till the mp3 is completely downloaded,
         B. Continues to display the "Content Type Not supported"
            message.

> "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
>
>> But right now <audio src=...>my talk</audio> produces a "unsupported
>> content type" link in EWW.
>
> Yes, you'll have to configure browse-url-handlers for that to work, I
> think.
>
> The default will eventually to use webkit (like shr does with video),
> but we haven't gotten that far yet.

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: Feature Request: Support <audio> in shr
@ 2021-11-11  3:20         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-11  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> 1. browse-url-handlers matches on URL pattern, should we also be able to
>    match on content-type?

We usually don't have a content type to match on here -- just an URL, I
think?

>    2. I tried to regex match on .mp3$, but it turns out that
>       A) did not work  after setting
>       (("\\`*.mp3\\$" . emacspeak-m-player-url) ("\\`mailto:"

Didn't work how?

>       1. Appears to wait till the mp3 is completely downloaded,
>          B. Continues to display the "Content Type Not supported"
>             message.

The function that handles the URL is responsible for displaying it.