* vc-tor no longer working?
@ 2022-09-25  8:58 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2022-09-25  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have tor and torsocks running, and the command "torsocks git pull" in a
shell works as expected. I also have

(setq vc-tor t).

This was sufficient yesterday to run a pull over tor via '+' in vc-dir. However,
today it's not working in so far as the vc-git compilation window just
has

Running "git pull --stat"...

I would expect the output

Running "torsocks git pull --stat"...

I notice there has been a recent vc-tor commit to emacs, but I see no
difference if I revert it.

Perhaps only the output compilation message has changed? How could I
check -- I'm not a tor expert.

Colin.

* Re: vc-tor no longer working?
@ 2022-09-25  9:52 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-09-25  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> I have tor and torsocks running, and the command "torsocks git pull" in a
> shell works as expected. I also have
>
> (setq vc-tor t).
>
> This was sufficient yesterday to run a pull over tor via '+' in vc-dir. However,
> today it's not working in so far as the vc-git compilation window just
> has
>
> Running "git pull --stat"...
>
> I would expect the output
>
> Running "torsocks git pull --stat"...

See bug#57870.  The issue was that torsocks wasn't being used at all,
instead it *just* added "torsocks" to the message.

> I notice there has been a recent vc-tor commit to emacs, but I see no
> difference if I revert it.
>
> Perhaps only the output compilation message has changed? How could I
> check -- I'm not a tor expert.
>
> Colin.

* Re: vc-tor no longer working?
@ 2022-09-25 11:14   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2022-09-25 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dear Philip,

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> I have tor and torsocks running, and the command "torsocks git
    >> pull" in a shell works as expected. I also have
    >>
    >> (setq vc-tor t).
    >>
    >> This was sufficient yesterday to run a pull over tor via '+' in
    >> vc-dir. However, today it's not working in so far as the vc-git
    >> compilation window just has
    >>
    >> Running "git pull --stat"...
    >>
    >> I would expect the output
    >>
    >> Running "torsocks git pull --stat"...

    > See bug#57870.  The issue was that torsocks wasn't being used at
    > all, instead it *just* added "torsocks" to the message.

Thanks for the information. I'm obviously late to the party!

Best wishes,

Colin.