* Change of behavior of "space" display property and face property
@ 2022-10-04  4:48 Qiantan Hong
From: Qiantan Hong @ 2022-10-04  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Open an empty text file, M-: (insert #(" " 0 1 (face (:underline t) display (space :align-to right))))

On Emacs 28, this produce a blank line with underline.

On Emacs 29, this produce a blank line without underline. In general, “space” display
seem to disregard any face property.

Is this intended or is this a bug? “space” display respecting face property is useful for
typesetting. For example. I use it to display a horizontal separator under my header line.

Best,
Qiantan

* Re: Change of behavior of "space" display property and face property
@ 2022-10-04  6:34 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-04  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qiantan Hong; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Qiantan Hong <qthong@stanford.edu> writes:

> Open an empty text file, M-: (insert #(" " 0 1 (face (:underline t) display (space :align-to right))))
>
> On Emacs 28, this produce a blank line with underline.
>
> On Emacs 29, this produce a blank line without underline. In general, “space” display
> seem to disregard any face property.
>
> Is this intended or is this a bug? “space” display respecting face property is useful for
> typesetting. For example. I use it to display a horizontal separator under my header line.
>
> Best,
> Qiantan

That is almost certainly a bug, but I cannot be certain without knowing
what toolkit and window system you built Emacs with.

I remember fixing something similar on the NS build months back.

* Re: Change of behavior of "space" display property and face property
@ 2022-10-04  7:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-10-04  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: qthong, emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 14:34:28 +0800
>
> Qiantan Hong <qthong@stanford.edu> writes:
>
> > Open an empty text file, M-: (insert #(" " 0 1 (face (:underline t) display (space :align-to right))))
> >
> > On Emacs 28, this produce a blank line with underline.
> >
> > On Emacs 29, this produce a blank line without underline. In general, “space” display
> > seem to disregard any face property.
> >
> > Is this intended or is this a bug? “space” display respecting face property is useful for
> > typesetting. For example. I use it to display a horizontal separator under my header line.
> >
> > Best,
> > Qiantan
>
> That is almost certainly a bug, but I cannot be certain without knowing
> what toolkit and window system you built Emacs with.

I cannot reproduce this here, on MS-Windows.  The recipe produces the
same display for me in both Emacs 28 and Emacs 29.  So if this is
reproducible on some system, it is most probably a bug in the
terminal-specific display backend.

* Re: Change of behavior of "space" display property and face property
@ 2022-10-04  8:30     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-04  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: qthong, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I cannot reproduce this here, on MS-Windows.  The recipe produces the
> same display for me in both Emacs 28 and Emacs 29.  So if this is
> reproducible on some system, it is most probably a bug in the
> terminal-specific display backend.

That's also what I thought, since the problem doesn't happen on X.

* Re: Change of behavior of "space" display property and face property
@ 2022-10-04  8:35     ` Visuwesh
From: Visuwesh @ 2022-10-04  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Po Lu, qthong, emacs-devel

[செவ்வாய் அக்டோபர் 04, 2022] Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
>> Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>> Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 14:34:28 +0800
>>
>> Qiantan Hong <qthong@stanford.edu> writes:
>>
>> > Open an empty text file, M-: (insert #(" " 0 1 (face (:underline t) display (space :align-to right))))
>> >
>> > On Emacs 28, this produce a blank line with underline.
>> >
>> > On Emacs 29, this produce a blank line without underline. In general, “space” display
>> > seem to disregard any face property.
>> >
>> > Is this intended or is this a bug? “space” display respecting face property is useful for
>> > typesetting. For example. I use it to display a horizontal separator under my header line.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Qiantan
>>
>> That is almost certainly a bug, but I cannot be certain without knowing
>> what toolkit and window system you built Emacs with.
>
> I cannot reproduce this here, on MS-Windows.  The recipe produces the
> same display for me in both Emacs 28 and Emacs 29.  So if this is
> reproducible on some system, it is most probably a bug in the
> terminal-specific display backend.

Cannot reproduce on Emacs 29 using the Lucid backend, cairo and HarfBuzz either.

* Re: Change of behavior of "space" display property and face property
@ 2022-10-04 15:37   ` Qiantan Hong
From: Qiantan Hong @ 2022-10-04 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

I’m on NS. I just git pull’ed and the problem persist.

Emacs version:

GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin21.5.0, NS appkit-2113.50 Version 12.4 (Build 21F79))
 of 2022-10-04

System version: macOS 12.4 (21F79)

Best,
Qiantan

@ 2022-10-05  0:25     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-05  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qiantan Hong; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Qiantan Hong <qthong@stanford.edu> writes:

> I’m on NS. I just git pull’ed and the problem persist.
>
> Emacs version:
>
> GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin21.5.0, NS appkit-2113.50 Version 12.4 (Build 21F79))
>  of 2022-10-04
>
> System version: macOS 12.4 (21F79)
>
> Best,
> Qiantan

Thanks, I will push a fix shortly (but it hasn't been tested on Mac OS,
just GNUstep.)