* A scrolling wish..
@ 2002-09-23  8:01 D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-23  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I programatically call (scroll-up 2), there seems to be no way to
tell what the result of the operation was.  viz. whether we reached a
max-scrolled-out [not same as eobp] condition, or whether the output
succeeded.  (scroll-up) always returns nil.

Perhaps it could return something more useful?

The only other option looks like (window-vscroll), but is it buggy
right now? --->

I try an emacs -q -no-site-file, go to *scratch*, insert many
screenfuls of lines, then at various positions, insert this and eval --->
I have tried (window-vscroll) as well as:
	(window-vscroll (get-buffer-window (buffer-name))),

at many different scroll positions, but i always get 0, both with the
cvs as well as 21.2.

DG                                 http://24.197.159.102/~deego/

* Re: A scrolling wish..
@ 2002-09-23 13:25 ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-23 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please ignore my post[1].  I am sorry for that.

[1] in case you don't already ignore them :-)

* Re: A scrolling wish..
@ 2002-09-24  3:23 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-09-24  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    If I programatically call (scroll-up 2), there seems to be no way to
    tell what the result of the operation was.  viz. whether we reached a
    max-scrolled-out [not same as eobp] condition, or whether the output
    succeeded.  (scroll-up) always returns nil.

    Perhaps it could return something more useful?

Do you want to implement it and debug it?

* Re: A scrolling wish..
@ 2002-09-24 15:20   ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-24 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Do you want to implement it and debug it?

I shall try to.  (scroll-up) and (scroll-down) already do throw errors
if they reach a bobp or eobp condition.  I could perhaps try to also
make the regular case return something useful, like the amount of
(window-vscroll).

More importantly, i would like to fix/see-getting-fixed the bug in
(window-vscroll), and will work on it.  It always returns 0 for me
(with one excetion, which is not worth going into)---in short, the
"answer" it returns seems clearly wrong.  Am I misinterpreting the
function?  Or could someone please confirm the bug?