* Henkan_Mod (<henkan>) undefined in Emacs (AltGr elsewhere in X)
@ 2011-03-17 10:09 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-17 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear all,

I have a thinkpad X61 with a Japanese keyboard.

I use this in .xmodmaprc to set the Henkan key to AltGr:

  add mod5 = Henkan_Mode

This works in terminal and other X applications, but it
doesn't work in GNU Emacs: pressing the Henkan key says
"<henkan> is undefined".

Any hint on how to fix this (very annoying) problem?

As a workaround, can I use global-set-key to remap the
<henkan> key to the AltGr key?

Thanks a lot in advance,

I'm using latest ArchLinux and GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.1) of 2011-03-16.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Henkan_Mod (<henkan>) undefined in Emacs (AltGr elsewhere in X)
@ 2011-03-17 16:48 ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2011-03-17 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I use this in .xmodmaprc to set the Henkan key to AltGr:
>
>   add mod5 = Henkan_Mode
>
> This works in terminal and other X applications, but it
> doesn't work in GNU Emacs: pressing the Henkan key says
> "<henkan> is undefined".
>
> Any hint on how to fix this (very annoying) problem?

AltGr is known as Mode_switch to X.  You need to do

keysym Henkan_Mode = Mode_switch

and then assign that to a modifier.

Davis

shipping.

* Re: Henkan_Mod (<henkan>) undefined in Emacs (AltGr elsewhere in X)
@ 2011-03-19 10:05   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-19 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davis Herring; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi David,

Davis Herring <herring@lanl.gov> writes:

>> Any hint on how to fix this (very annoying) problem?
>
> AltGr is known as Mode_switch to X.  You need to do
>
> keysym Henkan_Mode = Mode_switch
>
> and then assign that to a modifier.

Thanks.  But this doesn't solve my problem.  To be clear:
rebinding Mod5 to Henkan_Mode with this line in my .xmodmap

  add Mod5 = Henkan_Mode

do works everywhere *but* in Emacs.  Besides,

  keysym Henkan_Mode = Mode_switch

triggers an error here.

Thanks for any further help,

--

@ 2011-03-20  1:44     ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2011-03-20  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>   keysym Henkan_Mode = Mode_switch
>
> triggers an error here.

Try using ISO_Level3_Shift instead of Mode_switch:

xmodmap -e "keysym Henkan_Mode = ISO_Level3_Shift Henkan_Mode"

then I can input "¶" with Henkan+r on Emacs (under French XKB layout).

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Henkan_Mod (<henkan>) undefined in Emacs (AltGr elsewhere in X)
@ 2011-03-20 10:37       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-20 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Daiki,

Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org> writes:

> Try using ISO_Level3_Shift instead of Mode_switch:
>
> xmodmap -e "keysym Henkan_Mode = ISO_Level3_Shift Henkan_Mode"
>
> then I can input "¶" with Henkan+r on Emacs (under French XKB layout).

It does indeed solve my problem -- *thanks* a lot for this!

--
 Bastien