* Why is there no M-x word-wrap?
@ 2012-06-05 17:28 Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-06-05 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

As I understand it, the right way to turn on so called word wrapping in
Emacs is by doing (setq word-wrap t).  This isn't very user-friendly in
my opinion.

Why is there no command named `word-wrap' which toggles this mode?  It
can really throw newbies off telling them to do M-: (setq word-wrap t)
and if that's not enough, I find it kind of annoying myself.

Deniz

* Re: Why is there no M-x word-wrap?
@ 2012-06-05 17:33 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2012-06-05 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

> As I understand it, the right way to turn on so called word wrapping
> in Emacs is by doing (setq word-wrap t).  This isn't very
> user-friendly in my opinion.
>
> Why is there no command named `word-wrap' which toggles this mode?

There is `toggle-word-wrap'.

* Re: Why is there no M-x word-wrap?
@ 2012-06-05 17:33   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-06-05 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jay Belanger skrev 2012-06-05 19:33:

>> As I understand it, the right way to turn on so called word wrapping
>> in Emacs is by doing (setq word-wrap t).  This isn't very
>> user-friendly in my opinion.
>>
>> Why is there no command named `word-wrap' which toggles this mode?
>
> There is `toggle-word-wrap'.

Oh... Sorry for the noise.

* RE: Why is there no M-x word-wrap?
@ 2012-06-05 19:46   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-06-05 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger, 'Deniz Dogan'; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > As I understand it, the right way to turn on so called word wrapping
> > in Emacs is by doing (setq word-wrap t).  This isn't very
> > user-friendly in my opinion.
> >
> > Why is there no command named `word-wrap' which toggles this mode?
>
> There is `toggle-word-wrap'.

And even if there were not such an explicit toggle, you would not need to do M-:
(setq word-wrap t).  It is a user option, so command `set-variable' applies.

* Re: Why is there no M-x word-wrap?
@ 2012-06-06  6:34 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-06-06  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: emacs-devel

Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> writes:

> As I understand it, the right way to turn on so called word wrapping
> in Emacs is by doing (setq word-wrap t).  This isn't very
> user-friendly in my opinion.
>
> Why is there no command named `word-wrap' which toggles this mode?  It
> can really throw newbies off telling them to do M-: (setq word-wrap t)
> and if that's not enough, I find it kind of annoying myself.

Users probably want to use M-x visual-line-mode, which apart from
enabling word-wrap also redefines commands to act visually.  I added a
note to the docstring of word-wrap.