* Stopping moderation on bug-gnu-emacs
@ 2010-10-03  0:06 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-10-03  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: acm, xma

I think we may as well stop moderating the bug-gnu-emacs mailing list.

All the mails that reach the list come via debbugs.gnu.org, where they
get moderated first. So holding the resulting messages again for
moderation on bug-gnu-emacs just causes delays and more work.

There has been no mail on bug-gnu-emacs in at least the past 18 weeks
(probably much longer, I just don't have the data) that did not come
via debbugs and hence get moderated first.

The only possible exception is mails injected from the gnu.emacs.bug
newsgroup. I am still not entirely sure what happens there, but I do
not think they go via debbugs. So there is a possibility that spam
could come in via that route. But it has not happened.

So if no-one objects I propose to stop moderation on bug-gnu-emacs in
a week or so. It can always be turned back on if a problem occurs in
future.

* Re: Stopping moderation on bug-gnu-emacs
@ 2010-10-03  0:13 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-10-03  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: acm, xma, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> So if no-one objects I propose to stop moderation on bug-gnu-emacs in
> a week or so. It can always be turned back on if a problem occurs in
> future.

Sounds good.

* Re: Stopping moderation on bug-gnu-emacs
@ 2010-12-08 19:40 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-12-08 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: acm, xma

Glenn Morris wrote:

> I think we may as well stop moderating the bug-gnu-emacs mailing list.
>
> All the mails that reach the list come via debbugs.gnu.org, where they
> get moderated first. So holding the resulting messages again for
> moderation on bug-gnu-emacs just causes delays and more work.
>
> There has been no mail on bug-gnu-emacs in at least the past 18 weeks
> (probably much longer, I just don't have the data) that did not come
> via debbugs and hence get moderated first.
>
> The only possible exception is mails injected from the gnu.emacs.bug
> newsgroup. I am still not entirely sure what happens there, but I do
> not think they go via debbugs. So there is a possibility that spam
> could come in via that route. But it has not happened.

Well, it did happen, so I re-enabled bug-gnu-emacs moderation.
Sorry about the spam that came in through the newsgroup.

I also note a few people are still posting via the newsgroup interface.
Once again, I would discourage this, for the reasons given in

(although I will look for a proper solution)

There is another reason, which is that the gateway is rather flaky.
The mails that arrived in a bunch today were several months old in
some cases.