* generalization of follow mode, to arbitrary pices of the buffer
@ 2016-01-01 19:42 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-01-01 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello

Does anybody know about a generalization of follow mode which does the
following:
After a vertical split of the buffer, I scroll, say the right window
down 100 lines.

Then I activate the generalized follow mode and now any scroll movement
on one of the windows is done on the other window as well.

Google search did not return anything useful.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* [solved] (was: generalization of follow mode, to arbitrary pices of the buffer)
@ 2016-01-01 19:45 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-01-01 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "Uwe" == Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > Hello
   > Does anybody know about a generalization of follow mode which does the

Aehm sorry follow-all-mode, does precisely what I want. Sorry for the noise.

* Re: generalization of follow mode, to arbitrary pices of the buffer
@ 2016-01-02  4:05 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2016-01-02  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 1:42 AM, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Does anybody know about a generalization of follow mode which does the
> following:
> After a vertical split of the buffer, I scroll, say the right window
> down 100 lines.
>
> Then I activate the generalized follow mode and now any scroll movement
> on one of the windows is done on the other window as well.

I sometimes wonder about a further generalization of that.
Occasionally it would be useful to have (loosely) synchronized
scrolling of two windows displaying different buffers. The windows in
question might be in the same or different frames.

(Use cases: translations between languages; reviewing or
hand-correcting results of an automated format conversion.)

* Re: generalization of follow mode, to arbitrary pices of the buffer
@ 2016-01-02  4:41   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2016-01-02  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> I sometimes wonder about a further generalization of that.
> Occasionally it would be useful to have (loosely) synchronized
> scrolling of two windows displaying different buffers. The windows in
> question might be in the same or different frames.

scroll-all-mode does almost that. Expanding it for doing exactly what
you request shouldn't be difficult.

[snip]

* Re: generalization of follow mode, to arbitrary pices of the buffer
@ 2016-01-02 13:05     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2016-01-02 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:

> scroll-all-mode does almost that. Expanding it for doing exactly what
> you request shouldn't be difficult.

Thanks.