* sql change: NEWS entry necessary?  or no defcustoms at all?
@ 2021-05-26 19:26 Ingo Lohmar
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2021-05-26 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A week ago, I added (on master, dac694b8bb) the defcustom
`sql-postgres-statement-starters'.  It is a regexp for
sql-product-specific additional statement start commands, analogous to
the existing `sql-oracle-statement-starters'.  It now occurs to me that
my commit may lack a NEWS entry, after all it's a new user option.

The reason I did not add an entry, and that now I am asking for
guidance, is that this "option" should, IMO, ideally be a defvar (or
even defconst), it's *not* really intended for customization, but just
states some knowledge about PostgreSQL.  The reason I still did use a
defcustom was only for the analogy with the Oracle-specific variable.

WDYT?

* Re: sql change: NEWS entry necessary?  or no defcustoms at all?
@ 2021-05-26 21:39 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-05-26 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Lohmar; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ingo Lohmar <ingo.lohmar@posteo.net> writes:

> The reason I did not add an entry, and that now I am asking for
> guidance, is that this "option" should, IMO, ideally be a defvar (or
> even defconst), it's *not* really intended for customization, but just
> states some knowledge about PostgreSQL.  The reason I still did use a
> defcustom was only for the analogy with the Oracle-specific variable.
>
> WDYT?

Changing it (and the Oracle user option) into defvars sounds OK to me.

* Re: sql change: NEWS entry necessary?  or no defcustoms at all?
@ 2021-05-27  6:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-05-27  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel, ingo.lohmar

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 23:39:45 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Ingo Lohmar <ingo.lohmar@posteo.net> writes:
>
> > The reason I did not add an entry, and that now I am asking for
> > guidance, is that this "option" should, IMO, ideally be a defvar (or
> > even defconst), it's *not* really intended for customization, but just
> > states some knowledge about PostgreSQL.  The reason I still did use a
> > defcustom was only for the analogy with the Oracle-specific variable.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> Changing it (and the Oracle user option) into defvars sounds OK to me.

No objections from me, either.

* Re: sql change: NEWS entry necessary?  or no defcustoms at all?
@ 2021-05-27 20:57     ` Ingo Lohmar
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2021-05-27 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, May 27 2021 09:48 (+0300), Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Changing it (and the Oracle user option) into defvars sounds OK to me.
>
> No objections from me, either.

Thanks for the quick feedback, done in a29a03c3bc.  I also demoted
`sql-ansi-statement-starters' to a defvar (same reasons, and for
consistency).