* setting the window background?
@ 2012-03-07 11:37 joakim
From: joakim @ 2012-03-07 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is it correct that there is a way to set the frame background but no way
to set the window background?

In particular I would like to be able to set the background of the
selected window, similarily to the frame background-color parameter. I'd
like this in order to improve the experience while disabling the
mode-line.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: setting the window background?
@ 2012-03-07 12:01 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2012-03-07 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:37,  <joakim@verona.se> wrote:
> Is it correct that there is a way to set the frame background but no way
> to set the window background?
>
> In particular I would like to be able to set the background of the
> selected window, similarily to the frame background-color parameter. I'd
> like this in order to improve the experience while disabling the
> mode-line.

Perhaps there is a bug report for this already? Otherwise please send one.

* Re: setting the window background?
@ 2012-03-07 18:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-03-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: joakim@verona.se
> Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:37:16 +0100
>
> Is it correct that there is a way to set the frame background but no way
> to set the window background?

Yes.  You don't set the background of a frame, you set the background
of the frame's default face.  And faces are local to frames in Emacs.

* Re: setting the window background?
@ 2012-03-08  4:09   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2012-03-08  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: joakim, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> Is it correct that there is a way to set the frame background but no way
>> to set the window background?
>
> Yes.  You don't set the background of a frame, you set the background
> of the frame's default face.  And faces are local to frames in Emacs.

... but can be overridden within a buffer, e.g.:

   ;; change background color
   (setq foo (face-remap-add-relative 'default '(:background "dark green")))
   ;; revert background color to default
   (face-remap-remove-relative foo)

Unfortunately there's a bug that causes the default face to not work
quite how one might want in this case -- the space after the last
position in the buffer is not changed.  However for some uses it may
be good enough.

-Miles

--
「寒いね」と話しかければ「寒いね」と答える人のいるあったかさ [俵万智]

* Re: setting the window background?
@ 2012-03-08 10:39     ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2012-03-08 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>> Is it correct that there is a way to set the frame background but no way
>>> to set the window background?
>>
>> Yes.  You don't set the background of a frame, you set the background
>> of the frame's default face.  And faces are local to frames in Emacs.
>
> ... but can be overridden within a buffer, e.g.:
>
>    ;; change background color
>    (setq foo (face-remap-add-relative 'default '(:background "dark green")))
>    ;; revert background color to default
>    (face-remap-remove-relative foo)
>
> Unfortunately there's a bug that causes the default face to not work
> quite how one might want in this case -- the space after the last
> position in the buffer is not changed.  However for some uses it may
> be good enough.

Nice! But theres no way to bind this to a window rather than a buffer
right?

--

@ 2012-03-09  2:01       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2012-03-09  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:
>> ... but can be overridden within a buffer, e.g.:
>
> Nice! But theres no way to bind this to a window rather than a buffer
> right?

I don't know much about window-specific settings (they're verrrrry
rarely used in Emacs)...

-miles

--
Infancy, n. The period of our lives when, according to Wordsworth, 'Heaven
lies about us.' The world begins lying about us pretty soon afterward.

* Re: setting the window background?
@ 2012-03-10 12:22     ` Ivan Andrus
From: Ivan Andrus @ 2012-03-10 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, joakim, Emacs Dev

On Mar 8, 2012, at 5:09 AM, Miles Bader wrote:

> Unfortunately there's a bug that causes the default face to not work
> quite how one might want in this case -- the space after the last
> position in the buffer is not changed.  However for some uses it may
> be good enough.

Has this bug been reported?  I couldn't find it when I looked and am interested in getting it fixed.  I am happy to report a bug if it hasn't been reported.

-Ivan

* Re: setting the window background?
@ 2012-03-10 23:51       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2012-03-10 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Andrus; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, joakim, Emacs Dev

Ivan Andrus <darthandrus@gmail.com> writes:
>> Unfortunately there's a bug that causes the default face to not work
>> quite how one might want in this case -- the space after the last
>> position in the buffer is not changed.  However for some uses it may
>> be good enough.
>
> Has this bug been reported?  I couldn't find it when I looked and am
> interested in getting it fixed.  I am happy to report a bug if it
> hasn't been reported.

Not so far as I know.

I did spend some time trying to figure out how to fix it, but eventually
got completely lost in the maze of twisty little redraw code, all alike...

Thanks,

-miles

--
Vote, v. The instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of
himself and a wreck of his country.