* [Emacs-diffs] master a4144af 1/2: Prefer ~/.config/emacs to ~/.emacs.d if neither exists
@ 2019-08-30 12:34 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-08-30 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

  branch: master
  commit a4144af909c3a6baf381659bf158e254b28ee002
  Author: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
  Commit: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>

      Prefer ~/.config/emacs to ~/.emacs.d if neither exists

      That way, when Emacs starts in a fresh home directory,
      it prefers the new (XDG) convention rather than the old one.
      * lisp/files.el (locate-user-emacs-file): Make the parent
      directories of user-emacs-directory if needed.  This is useful
      if user-emacs-directory is "~/.config/emacs" and "~/.config"
      does not yet exist.
      * lisp/startup.el (command-line):
      * lisp/subr.el (user-emacs-directory):
      Prefer XDG_CONFIG_HOME to ~/.emacs.d if neither exists.

We never discussed such a change, and I'm not sure I personally agree
with it.  XDG and its ~/.config directory is just one convention; why
should we go after it by default, when there's no XDG setup visible
anywhere in sight?  Why should we force this convention on platforms
other than GNU/Linux?  That doesn't sound right to me.

Please don't make such changes without discussing them first.  And
let's talk about this one now, before the related changes spread too
wide and too far (as I see emacsclient already did).

[parent not found: <20190830072451.9819.83340@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>]