* scratch/more-fds
       [not found] <875ygm9039.fsf.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2022-10-14 10:22 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-10-14 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Robert Pluim

What's still missing in scratch/more-fds?  AFAIK, LSP contains some
features that require a large amount of files to be watched, which in
turn needs an increase to the file descriptor limit.  As Eglot will be
included with Emacs 29, we should probably include scratch/more-fds as
well, at least as an optional feature.

* Re: scratch/more-fds
@ 2022-10-14 10:31   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-10-14 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Po> What's still missing in scratch/more-fds?  AFAIK, LSP contains some
    Po> features that require a large amount of files to be watched, which in
    Po> turn needs an increase to the file descriptor limit.  As Eglot will be
    Po> included with Emacs 29, we should probably include scratch/more-fds as
    Po> well, at least as an optional feature.

- there are a number of places that assume that the number of maximum
open files is fixed
- the file descriptor limit needs to dynamically adjust

I have code for this locally, which I need to clean up and push.

Note that watching large numbers of files is a big issue only on macOS:
on other platforms file-watching actually watches directories, so itʼs
much harder to run into the limitations (this includes MS-Windows)

Once itʼs finished we can discuss whether it should be turned on by
default: based on past experience, I think it would be default-off in
29.1 (although maybe default-on for macOS if weʼre feeling
adventurous)

Robert