* A yacc/bison that outputs elisp?
@ 2005-03-28 14:09 Sun Yijiang
From: Sun Yijiang @ 2005-03-28 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is that possible? Anyone had the same thoughts? I think it would be
very very useful for an editor to have such syntax-specific parsing
ability.

For lex/flex, Emacs has the ability to filter out comments and strings
as they do.

Sun Yijiang

* Re: A yacc/bison that outputs elisp?
@ 2005-03-28 14:58 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-28 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Is that possible? Anyone had the same thoughts? I think it would be
> very very useful for an editor to have such syntax-specific parsing
> ability.

There's a package out there that does just that (IIRC it uses bison and
post-processes the C output to turn it in to elisp).
Can't remember the name, tho,

* Re: A yacc/bison that outputs elisp?
@ 2005-03-28 15:45 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2005-03-28 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is the Semantic Bovinator.  If I understand correctly, it's a
parser generator written in Emacs Lisp, generating Emacs Lisp code.

The SourceForge project is called CEDET, and it includes context aware
completion as an application of the parser generator.

Kai

* Re: A yacc/bison that outputs elisp?
@ 2005-03-28 17:31   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-28 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> Is that possible? Anyone had the same thoughts? I think it would be
>> very very useful for an editor to have such syntax-specific parsing
>> ability.

> There's a package out there that does just that (IIRC it uses bison and
> post-processes the C output to turn it in to elisp).
> Can't remember the name, tho,

It's called "scanner.el" and written by John Wiegley (famous for several
other Emacs packages).

Look for it on gnu.emacs.sources,

* Re: A yacc/bison that outputs elisp?
@ 2005-03-29  1:10     ` Sun Yijiang
From: Sun Yijiang @ 2005-03-29  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I found his homepage at http://www.newartisans.com/johnw, but there's
no scanner.el found. Also I searched mail archive of
gnu.emacs.sources, but still not found. Where can I download it,
please?

@ 2005-03-29  1:25       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-29  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I found his homepage at http://www.newartisans.com/johnw, but there's
> no scanner.el found. Also I searched mail archive of
> gnu.emacs.sources, but still not found. Where can I download it,
> please?

groups.google.com => group:gnu.emacs.sources scanner.el

* Re: A yacc/bison that outputs elisp?
@ 2005-03-29  8:28       ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2005-03-29  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sun Yijiang <sunyijiang@gmail.com> writes:

> I found his homepage at http://www.newartisans.com/johnw, but
> there's no scanner.el found. Also I searched mail archive of
> gnu.emacs.sources, but still not found. Where can I download it,
> please?

scanner.el only produces lexers, not parsers.  And it is somewhat
ancient.  It should still work, but no guarantees...

John

* Re: A yacc/bison that outputs elisp?
@ 2005-03-29 13:41         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-29 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> scanner.el only produces lexers, not parsers.  And it is somewhat
> ancient.  It should still work, but no guarantees...

BTW, have you actually used it?  For what?
How was the performance?

* Re: A yacc/bison that outputs elisp?
@ 2005-03-29 17:44           ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2005-03-29 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> BTW, have you actually used it?  For what?  How was the performance?

I did use it once, but didn't measure the performance.  It relies
heavily on a tight loop that does lots of vector lookups.

John