* 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
@ 2007-10-14 20:16 Luca Capello
From: Luca Capello @ 2007-10-14 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug; +Cc: rfrancoise

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Hello!

Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to the list.

I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):

  $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'

This is very strange, because emacs is compiled without X support and
I anyway started it as `emacs -nw`.

I don't know exactly since when this happens, but at least it was
already present in the previous one-week-old package.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.0.50/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2007-10-14 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 (Debian emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20071014-1)
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--host' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.0.50/leim' '--with-x=no' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-autoaway-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-scrolltobottom-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-c ESC f g J j C-c ESC f i C-x b m u p p TAB r e RET
C-c ESC f g ESC x r e p o r t - e m TAB TAB TAB b u
TAB RET

Recent messages:
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...done
Checking new news...done
Connecting to irc.freenode.net:6667... ...done
Logging in as 'gismo'...
Connecting to irc.oftc.net:6667... ...done
Logging in as 'gismo'...
Connecting to testing.bitlbee.org:6667... ...done
Logging in as 'gismo'... done [3 times]
Making completion list...

* Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
@ 2007-10-17  0:02 ` Michael Mauger
From: Michael Mauger @ 2007-10-17  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Luca Capello wrote:

> I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
> with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
>
>   $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
>
> This is very strange, because emacs is compiled without X support and
> I anyway started it as `emacs -nw`.

I was running into the same problem on w32.  It's due to the multi-tty
merge.  The problem is that DISPLAY is set.  I have an X server running
under w32, but obviously, my w32 Emacs doesn't support X, so the error was
unexpected.

Try:

  $ DISPLAY=  emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'

and the error should go away.  (Note that there has to be at least a space
between the "DISPLAY=" and "emacsclient ...".)

This is something that ought to be fixed.  We need better heuristics about
what type of frame the user wants and can support.

* Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
@ 2007-10-17  2:10 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-17  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Capello; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, rfrancoise

Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:

  > Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
  > usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

  > Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
  > and the precise symptoms of the bug:
  >
  > Hello!
  >
  > Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to the list.
  >
  > I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
  > with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
  >
  >   $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
  >
  > This is very strange, because emacs is compiled without X support and
  > I anyway started it as `emacs -nw`.
  >
  > I don't know exactly since when this happens, but at least it was
  > already present in the previous one-week-old package.

Thank you for the bug report.
I checked in a fix.

* Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
@ 2007-10-17 17:47   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-10-17 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, rfrancoise, Luca Capello

>> Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
>> usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

>> Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
>> and the precise symptoms of the bug:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to the list.
>>
>> I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
>> with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
>>
>> $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
>>
>> This is very strange, because emacs is compiled without X support and
>> I anyway started it as `emacs -nw`.
>>
>> I don't know exactly since when this happens, but at least it was
>> already present in the previous one-week-old package.

> Thank you for the bug report.
> I checked in a fix.

No offense intended, but I didn't like your fix so I replaced it
with another.  Michael, can you confirm your problem is fixed now on the
Emacs-CVS trunk?

* Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
@ 2007-10-28 22:43     ` Luca Capello
From: Luca Capello @ 2007-10-28 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug; +Cc: Romain Francoise

Hello!

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:47:52 +0200, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> No offense intended, but I didn't like your fix so I replaced it
> with another.  Michael, can you confirm your problem is fixed now on
> the Emacs-CVS trunk?

I wondered who Michael was, and now that I checked emacs-devel I
understood.  Again, could you please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to the
list (this request was already present in my bug report).

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:02:21 +0200, Michael Mauger wrote:
> Luca Capello wrote:
>> I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
>> with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
>>
>>   $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
[...]
> I was running into the same problem on w32.  It's due to the
> multi-tty merge.  The problem is that DISPLAY is set.  I have an X
> server running under w32, but obviously, my w32 Emacs doesn't
> support X, so the error was unexpected.
[...]
> This is something that ought to be fixed.  We need better heuristics
> about what type of frame the user wants and can support.

FWIW, with the latest unofficial Debian emacs-snasshot_1:20071027-1
that problem is gone.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

* Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
@ 2007-10-28 23:44       ` Luca Capello
From: Luca Capello @ 2007-10-28 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug; +Cc: Romain Francoise

Hello again!

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:43:02 +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:02:21 +0200, Michael Mauger wrote:
>> Luca Capello wrote:
>>> I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
>>> with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
>>>
>>>   $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
> [...]
>> I was running into the same problem on w32.  It's due to the
>> multi-tty merge.  The problem is that DISPLAY is set.  I have an X
>> server running under w32, but obviously, my w32 Emacs doesn't
>> support X, so the error was unexpected.
> [...]
>> This is something that ought to be fixed.  We need better heuristics
>> about what type of frame the user wants and can support.
>
> FWIW, with the latest unofficial Debian emacs-snasshot_1:20071027-1
> that problem is gone.

It seems I should have tested a bit more before reporting.  Actually,
the problem is still there and indeed having an empty DISPLAY solves
it.  FWIW, because of other tests I was in a sreen session started on
a console, thus DISPLAY was empty.

However, I found an unrelated bug for -c and -t.

First, my setup: I use exclusively `emacs -nw` with different frames
for every applications, i.e. "Gnus", "IRC", "W3M" and so on.

Every time I edit a file through emacsclient, either with -c or -t,
two new frames are opened: one (let's call it foo) shows the buffer
associated with the file, the other one (frame bar) the *scratch*
buffer.  As soon as I finish editing and exit with C-x #, frames foo
and bar are closed, as well as one of the other frame already opened
on my emacs session :-(

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

* Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
@ 2007-10-29  0:21         ` Dan Nicolaescu
  2007-11-16 15:05           ` [emacsclient] options -c and -t delete unrelated frames when exiting (was Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x) Luca Capello
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-29  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Capello; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Romain Francoise

Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:

  > Hello again!
  >
  > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:43:02 +0100, Luca Capello wrote:

  > > [...]
  > >> I was running into the same problem on w32.  It's due to the
  > >> multi-tty merge.  The problem is that DISPLAY is set.  I have an X
  > >> server running under w32, but obviously, my w32 Emacs doesn't
  > >> support X, so the error was unexpected.
  > > [...]
  > >> This is something that ought to be fixed.  We need better heuristics
  > >> about what type of frame the user wants and can support.
  > >
  > > FWIW, with the latest unofficial Debian emacs-snasshot_1:20071027-1
  > > that problem is gone.
  >
  > It seems I should have tested a bit more before reporting.  Actually,
  > the problem is still there and indeed having an empty DISPLAY solves
  > it.  FWIW, because of other tests I was in a sreen session started on
  > a console, thus DISPLAY was empty.
  >
  > However, I found an unrelated bug for -c and -t.
  >
  > First, my setup: I use exclusively `emacs -nw` with different frames
  > for every applications, i.e. "Gnus", "IRC", "W3M" and so on.
  >
  > Every time I edit a file through emacsclient, either with -c or -t,
  > two new frames are opened: one (let's call it foo) shows the buffer
  > associated with the file, the other one (frame bar) the *scratch*
  > buffer.  As soon as I finish editing and exit with C-x #, frames foo
  > and bar are closed, as well as one of the other frame already opened
  > on my emacs session :-(

Sorry, but this description is not enough to try to reproduce the
issue that you are seeing.
Can you please send a detailed description of what you are doing, step
by step, and please start with "emacs -Q".

Thanks
        --dan

@ 2007-11-16 15:05           ` Luca Capello
From: Luca Capello @ 2007-11-16 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug; +Cc: Romain Francoise

Hi Dan,

I'm sorry for the delay, I was busy in real life.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:21:16 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:
>> However, I found an unrelated bug for -c and -t.
>>
>> First, my setup: I use exclusively `emacs -nw` with different frames
>> for every applications, i.e. "Gnus", "IRC", "W3M" and so on.
>>
>> Every time I edit a file through emacsclient, either with -c or -t,
>> two new frames are opened: one (let's call it foo) shows the buffer
>> associated with the file, the other one (frame bar) the *scratch*
>> buffer.  As soon as I finish editing and exit with C-x #, frames foo
>> and bar are closed, as well as one of the other frame already opened
>> on my emacs session :-(
>
> Sorry, but this description is not enough to try to reproduce the
> issue that you are seeing.
> Can you please send a detailed description of what you are doing, step
> by step, and please start with "emacs -Q".

It seems that `emacs -Q` doesn't suffer the same error, so I'll try to
investigate deeply into my configuration and I'll report back.

Anyway, since this is unrelated to the previous bug (which is still
present on emacs-snapshot-nox_1:20071111-1), I changed the subject.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

* Re: [emacsclient] options -c and -t delete unrelated frames when exiting (was Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x)
@ 2007-11-16 16:44             ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-11-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Capello; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Romain Francoise

Hi Luca,

Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:

  > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:21:16 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > > Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:
  > >> However, I found an unrelated bug for -c and -t.
  > >>
  > >> First, my setup: I use exclusively `emacs -nw` with different frames
  > >> for every applications, i.e. "Gnus", "IRC", "W3M" and so on.
  > >>
  > >> Every time I edit a file through emacsclient, either with -c or -t,
  > >> two new frames are opened: one (let's call it foo) shows the buffer
  > >> associated with the file, the other one (frame bar) the *scratch*
  > >> buffer.  As soon as I finish editing and exit with C-x #, frames foo
  > >> and bar are closed, as well as one of the other frame already opened
  > >> on my emacs session :-(
  > >
  > > Sorry, but this description is not enough to try to reproduce the
  > > issue that you are seeing.
  > > Can you please send a detailed description of what you are doing, step
  > > by step, and please start with "emacs -Q".
  >
  > It seems that `emacs -Q` doesn't suffer the same error, so I'll try to
  > investigate deeply into my configuration and I'll report back.

OK, thanks.

  > Anyway, since this is unrelated to the previous bug (which is still
  > present on emacs-snapshot-nox_1:20071111-1), I changed the subject.

I assume you are talking about the "don't know how to created a frame on
window system x" problem. Can you please describe how you get this,
starting from "emacs -Q" so that we can reproduce the issue?

Thanks

        --dan

* Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
@ 2007-11-16 17:54 ` Luca Capello
From: Luca Capello @ 2007-11-16 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Hi all!

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:16:56 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
> I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
> with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
>
>   $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'

This was the first time I reported this bug.

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:44:13 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:
>> Anyway, since this is unrelated to the previous bug (which is still
>> present on emacs-snapshot-nox_1:20071111-1), I changed the subject.
>
> I assume you are talking about the "don't know how to created a frame
> on window system x" problem. Can you please describe how you get this,
> starting from "emacs -Q" so that we can reproduce the issue?

I assumed that the reproducibility of the error was clearly known.  To
avoid any other misunderstanding on that, I use StumpWM, uxterm and
emacs-snapshot-nox, which means emacs CVS compiled without X support.

So, in a uxterm:

  $ emacs -Q
  M-: (server-start)

Launch another uxterm and try to connect to the emacs server:

  $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
  *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x

As Michael Mauger suggested, unsetting DISPLAY solved it:

  $ DISPLAY= emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
  "Luca Capello"

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

* Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
@ 2007-11-16 18:55   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-11-16 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Capello; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Stefan Monnier

Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:

  > Hi all!
  >
  > Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to the list.
  >
  > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:16:56 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
  > > I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
  > > with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
  > >
  > >   $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
  >
  > This was the first time I reported this bug.
  >
  > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:44:13 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > > Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:
  > >> Anyway, since this is unrelated to the previous bug (which is still
  > >> present on emacs-snapshot-nox_1:20071111-1), I changed the subject.
  > >
  > > I assume you are talking about the "don't know how to created a frame
  > > on window system x" problem. Can you please describe how you get this,
  > > starting from "emacs -Q" so that we can reproduce the issue?
  >
  > I assumed that the reproducibility of the error was clearly known.  To
  > avoid any other misunderstanding on that, I use StumpWM, uxterm and
  > emacs-snapshot-nox, which means emacs CVS compiled without X support.

I fixed this bug on Oct 17, then Stefan replaced my fix with a different
one that does not seem to actually fix the problem...

Stefan, can you please take a look? I don't see how your fix can be
correct, make-frame-on-display is defined in frame.el, so fboundp will
always be t. What am I missing?